does running help lose ???

Options
does running lose belly fat and tone areas like ur legs thighs and stomach????????????

im not lookin to spot reduce which i know is not possible just askin lol....

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Stomach, and and all over most def. for me, I find that running tones MORE of my lower legs, but it is great for all over body work out. For your thighs, weght training would work alot better
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.

Running will create a larger caloric deficit which will cause you to lose weight all over your body, some from your legs and butt. You cannot "spot reduce".
  • JKKeithline
    JKKeithline Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't put a tape measure to it, but since I started running about a year and a half ago I have gone from size 12 to size 6 and lost like 44 pounds...weight really started to go down once I started journaling food though. Amazing how many times I would absent-mindly put food to my mouth, and then stop because i didn't want to journal it...
  • kalebsmama07
    kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
    Options
    I haven't put a tape measure to it, but since I started running about a year and a half ago I have gone from size 12 to size 6 and lost like 44 pounds...weight really started to go down once I started journaling food though. Amazing how many times I would absent-mindly put food to my mouth, and then stop because i didn't want to journal it...

how often and for how long do u run for????
  • sabulla
    sabulla Posts: 58
    Options
    U r so right schlejul! This system allows us to journal so easy and makes us so much more aware of the caloric intake that we take in. It makes you stop and think, "Is this worth it?" For example, on vacation last week, I had a Sprite. The 1st soda (not a big soda drinker any way.) in 2 months. I thought it would taste wonderful w/the food I was eating. Did it, No! Was it worth it, No!
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So, you want to tone your legs and lose belly fat? Yep, running will do the trick. Best of luck.
  • lace0211
    lace0211 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Google couchto5k. If you have a problem running. I was never a runner but I'm starting to see progress in doing the couchto5k. I believe running is such a great way to burn fat everywhere. Hope I helped:) good luck with you journey!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Running alone is not the answer. Running + eating healthfully, yes. The one issue I've had with distance running / training is that I get ravenously hungry the longer I run. So, just be mindful of that. Running in itself is not an excellent weight loss method. It is, an excellent way to burn calories, though.
  • Jrab6486
    Jrab6486 Posts: 31
    Options
    I feel like when I run i get more of a rush and seem to push myself harder then when I do any other workout. Running is total body workout.
  • AshleeHans
    AshleeHans Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, it definitely does!

I trained for a half marathon last year and after the race I barely ran at all... I just recently started running again and find that muscles in my stomach and sides get sore after running. I think it is a different kind of workout than what I can get on a machine at the gym... and I push myself harder when I am out for a run. What's one more mile.. right?? :)
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Running alone is not the answer. Running + eating healthfully, yes. The one issue I've had with distance running / training is that I get ravenously hungry the longer I run. So, just be mindful of that. Running in itself is not an excellent weight loss method. It is, an excellent way to burn calories, though.

This.

Running and eating right really work well together. And yes, you will definitely get hungrier, but that's because you'll be more active and your metabolism will rise (depending on your body and the speed/amount of running you do). The trick is to feed that hunger with the right foods (complex carbs, proteins, healthy fats).