Exercise That's Good For Both Legs Evenly, but Kind to a Weak Abdomen

Options
Hello everyone. I have a little question. Lately, I've been hiking, which I find to be great exercise. It's even easy to me since I live on 17 acres of a national forest. LOL. My issue is that I've found it's not good for both of my legs evenly. My left leg has always been stronger than my right. It's slightly longer, and I tore the ligaments out of my right knee years ago. (Freak Girl Scout accident - I am not kidding.) Even with a knee brace, my left will naturally take on most of the burden. After I get done walking, my left leg is killing me and my hip is aching, while my right is barely tired. I need to work on my right leg, and I know this. What's a good thing I can do for it? Also, I have to be careful about my abdomen. I have to have hernia surgery. Peritoneal dialysis weakened my stomach muscles, so I literally have massive hernias. I can't really twist or turn my abdomen much nor can I pull or lift. I'll work on that after surgery and healing, but I have to be careful for now. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Yikes. With those kinds of restrictions, I think I would suggest seeing a qualified physical therapist, because I'm having a hard time imagining what you could do that wouldn't engage your abs.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That's why I've been sticking with walking. My surgeon wants me to lose weight before I even have the hernia surgery, which I'm working on. The reason I ask is that I just got done with a hike and my left hip is screaming, "What have you done to me?!?"
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cycling? You can even work just one leg at a time, if you like.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cycling? You can even work just one leg at a time, if you like.

Oh that might work. I can try it. Thank you.