Looking for fellow MFP'ers on Contrave...

Options
I have used MFP on and off for years now and had a lot of success a few years back with weight loss. I am back in the groove of tracking calories and moving more - and my doctor also put me on Contrave. I was hesitant to start it, but so far, so good. (It's only been a couple of days!)

I am looking for fellow MFP'ers who are also on Contrave who want to support one another. I would like to lose around 100 lbs total and I have battled with weight loss (and emotional eating/binging) since I was a kid.

Good luck to all!

Replies

• MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just saw the commericial. I am considering it. Did you have to make an appointment with your doctor or just ask for it?
  • adiharce
    adiharce Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I started today. I'm excited/curious to see what happens. I need to lose about 50 lbs.
  • airplaneseat
    airplaneseat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I made the following post on another thread, before seeing this more current one:

Friday was the beginning of week 4 on Contrave, starting the 2 am / 2 pm pills. In three weeks, I have lost 14 pounds. I have about 61 more to go. I know this rapid weight loss will not continue, but it feels good to not gain over the holidays.

So, the Contrave has been working fabulously for me. I do not think about food and am not hungry at all. Nor do I think about having a cocktail after work. Just no desire for it. I recommend trying it to anyone searching for help. As far as side effects, in week one I had the weird / high feeling that others discussed. Slightly disconcerting, but not as bad as I expected after reading some of the reviews.

In the past two weeks, I have noticed that I have been having unusual dreams. Before starting Contrave, I rarely would remember having any dreams. Now, I dream just about every night. Some of them have been bad, others merely odd. The dreams do not wake me up. I fall asleep faster and do not wake up while sleeping. So, I have to say that I sleep much better than before Contrave.

Now, I can vividly remember my dreams, even days later. I wonder if anyone can tell me if they experienced this and will this side effect will go away?

Thanks!
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have also had vivid/strange dreams! The first week it was a lot, but by the end of the week it had lessened. I've only been on Contrave for a week, but so far, so good. I have really lost an interest in sweets, candy in particular. I am starting two pills a day today and hope the feelings of "control" continue. My biggest problem is binge eating and sugary foods. I have felt much more in control of my diet than ever before.

Good luck to all! There is a good Facebook group - you can find it if you search for Contrave Support Group.

• fitjerseygirl
    Options
    I just saw the commericial. I am considering it. Did you have to make an appointment with your doctor or just ask for it?

Yes, you need a prescription.
  • fitjerseygirl
    Options
    I made the following post on another thread, before seeing this more current one:

Friday was the beginning of week 4 on Contrave, starting the 2 am / 2 pm pills. In three weeks, I have lost 14 pounds. I have about 61 more to go. I know this rapid weight loss will not continue, but it feels good to not gain over the holidays.

So, the Contrave has been working fabulously for me. I do not think about food and am not hungry at all. Nor do I think about having a cocktail after work. Just no desire for it. I recommend trying it to anyone searching for help. As far as side effects, in week one I had the weird / high feeling that others discussed. Slightly disconcerting, but not as bad as I expected after reading some of the reviews.

In the past two weeks, I have noticed that I have been having unusual dreams. Before starting Contrave, I rarely would remember having any dreams. Now, I dream just about every night. Some of them have been bad, others merely odd. The dreams do not wake me up. I fall asleep faster and do not wake up while sleeping. So, I have to say that I sleep much better than before Contrave.

Now, I can vividly remember my dreams, even days later. I wonder if anyone can tell me if they experienced this and will this side effect will go away?

Thanks!

Same here with dreams although they have lessened after a week for me!
  • chochick
    chochick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow for my annual visit and I'm going to ask her to prescribe Contrave for me. I had a lapband for 4 years which I had to have removed in August. I have never felt hungrier in my life. I cannot stop eating and have almost gained back everything I lost with the band. I'm on weight watchers but paying for meetings is not doing anything for me and the weight just keeps piling on. So on Contrave I go - yay!!!
  • nolalady85
    nolalady85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started Contrave yesterday. This is my last ditch effort before I start seriously considering wls, so I'm hoping for success. I am eager to see the progress that others are making on it! The side effects listed are a little scary, but I suppose that's with pretty much any drug.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started contrave today. want to lose 40 pounds at least. I had rny surgery 10 years ago and put on 40 pounds after two babies and battling alcohol. at 45 yo...I got no time to waste! how has everyone done so far? keeping up with everyone's progress would be encouraging.
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used to take Contrave. Great pill. It takes a while but you will notice you start to fill up on less food the longer you keep up taking it. It really helps to get over eating in control. Just remember when you come off it to keep portions small and you'll find it works PERFECTLY. GL guys
  • shellabella3075
    shellabella3075 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Glad to find this post! Today was my day 1! Hoping it kicks in soon!
  • orlandocommando
    orlandocommando Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started Feb. 22 so I am due to go to 2/day tomorrow. Not seeing much in the way of side effects or benefits so far. Other meds gave me the jitters and insomnia. I'm tracking all my food here and working in some exercise (Spin, Zumba, Yoga) when I can. Need to lose 30 lbs to get to a healthy weight.
  • shellabella3075
    shellabella3075 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not a full week in yet but I'm not noticing anything regarding my appetite. Hoping that will come later when I increase the dose. I've got a dry mouth but that's tolerable, and sleeping isn't great, but it's not bad! Fingers are still crossed!
  • orlandocommando
    orlandocommando Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Started week 3 of Contrave today. I've lost 2 pounds but I don't poop! I use Benefiber and since I use MFP I know I get 25-30g of fiber/day and get exercise. Even Miralax doesn't help. It's not uncomfortable but very unusual for me. Not sure I want to have to rely on laxatives. Anyone have a suggestion?
  • fitjerseygirl
    Options
    I stopped taking it due to depression (which I normally do not have) and extreme constipation. Hope others have better luck!
  • jillybean205
    jillybean205 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just started week 3 of contrave and so far so good, I definitely notice that I'm not constantly thinking of food in an unhealthy obsessive way like my usual self. I also fill up quicker on smaller portions. I'm so thankful for MFP too because the combination of logging food and exercise plus taking contrave seems to be working for me. Today, I had extra calories to use, so I bought myself a candy bar at the store. It had 2.5 portions in it. Normally, I would scoff the entire thing before I'd even leave the parking lot. But today, I barely ate the 1 portion and it took me the whole ride home. I was actually sick of it after half. Also normally if there was any leftover, it would be calling my name until I went and ate it. Not today though. No side effects for me yet. I hope it continues when I get to week 4 and the maintenance dose. Good luck all, and feel free to friend request me... I have 100 pounds to lose so I'll be around! :)
  • kaytlen7
    kaytlen7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I was placed on the med Lexapro 10 mg q day x 4 years ago for anxiety issues...and yep...blew up like a whale...60 pound weight gain over the last 4 years....went cold turkey on the med on Sunday(3/5/17)...weaning is not for me...and really no withdrawals except a mild headache which is now gone. Saw the doc Wednesday (3/8/17) and requested Contrave. I have only been on it for two days...one pill in the morning....no side effects as of now...... I'm usually craving all day long...sugar/chocolate/ anything and everything....as of taking the med this starting yesterday morning...craving just not there...I know...doesn't sound possible....and maybe it's my mindset right now, so disgusted with this increased weight..who knows....I'll keep updating though....I have 60 lbs to lose!
  • kaytlen7
    kaytlen7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Orlandocommando....how about trying some flaxseed? I'm sure with the dry mouth that is part of the contrave, you are probably drowning in water.... B)
  • elainagoins
    elainagoins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am starting tomorrow! I am super nervous, I have about 120 lbs to loose.....
  • FHVANCE
    FHVANCE Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2. No side effects to report. I will be tracking all my food here. Good luck everyone!!