GERD Doet

Options
I'm having to limit a lot of my favorite foods and follow this GERD Diet now. I am curious how some people on this same restriction do their meal plan and prep? I am feeling as though I'm extremely limited on what I can eat and not sure where to start :/

Replies

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have an acid tummy and eat those Schwan chicken cordon blue for breakfast, banana snack, assorted multi color vegge for lunch and ham, collard and bean soup; or nuts, cheese cheese and pear for dinner. And I have a one of those large 7-11 size coffees daily.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I dont know about a diet.I know for me even eliminating certain foods didnt help,it may for you though. I had a scope done a week or so ago and they found I produce too much acid, and had gastritis because of it. I know fried foods,fatty foods,spicy,acidic foods can cause it, so can smoking,drinking alcohol,chocolate and carbonated beverages can cause it.

did they do a test to see if you produce too much or too little acid? That would be your best bet. I have to take meds now because diet alone for me wont work. did the dr say to follow a GERD diet? if so Im sure you can look up a GERD diet on google and see what it says. Good luck.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @PoeticDove I have GERD too. Medical doctor gave me some nutrition guidelines and medication. At the end, it is a lot of trial and error to find out which food is a trigger and which one is not
    I can still eat raw tomatoe but citric juices are out, for instance. Coffee has to be mixed with milk.
    Each person is different.
    I do not consider GERD nutritional guidelines as a diet. It is more like "be careful with these foods" type of advisory
    Good luck
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have it as well and my trigger foods are anything acidic (citrus fruits, tomato/ketchup, fatty foods), but I still get acid reflux when I eat bland foods as well. Are you on meds?
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't have GERD but I have a hiatal hernia which causes heart burn. I just eat really bland meals. Like baked chicken and veggies. If recipes call for lots of different spices I usually don't use them. I use just a few spices. I stay away from tomato sauce and spicy foods.

Everyone is different for what triggers them though. So maybe slowly start bringing some things back in and test them and see.

Also, experiment with different acid reflux medications. I tried a few and finally Nexium worked best for me. I even can eat stuff I didn't before in moderation.
  • CrossFITNerd
    CrossFITNerd Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have the trifecta of acid reflux problems: GERD, a Hiatal Hernia, and Lactose Intolerance. Luckily, for me, Lactose was a big contributor to my GERD issues. For me, I avoid citric heavy fruits, like oranges and grapefruit, and I also avoid soda almost completely. I also try to avoid as many greasy foods as possible.

I've also learned that timing makes a huge difference as well. If I eat some bread, and then drink a ton of water right afterwards, I'm fine. But if I allow the bread to digest a while, and then start drinking a ton of water (I drink, on average, about 104oz of water a day), the acid reflux hits me like a truck.

At the end of the day, if I'm really feeling pretty poopy, I just pop two low dose TUMS and keep moving on.

Aside from all that, I maintain a pretty normal diet.