About Vegan/Vegetarianism (some facts and myths explained).

Options
NomadicaFit
NomadicaFit Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hello! I am a senior at MSU Denver currently working towards a Registered Dietitians degree, I am also a tutor for the nutrition department. I'm here to help dis-spell some myths and share the real facts about a plant-based diet! Please ask any questions and I will answer them as best I can :smiley:

There are many reasons that people go vegan or vegetarian, people do it because they are compassionate towards animal life, they want to cut down on their environmental impact, or economic reasons. A plant-based diet doesn't fit everyone's lifestyle, but it's always a good idea to eat your veggies!

Here are some things that I get asked all the time by people considering or questioning a plant-based diet:

-Isn't it expensive to go Vegan/Vegetarian?
No! It's very affordable to eat plants and plant products, and the benefits to your health with save you money, time, and grief later. This myth comes from the thought that one must purchase expensive supplements and vegan-specific products. You don't need to spend more money on products that are marketed as vegan when many mainstream brands already have products that just aren't specifically noted to be vegan. You don't need to buy specialty protein powders or add-ins for your food. Just eat normal food. Organic, extra-firm tofu is protein packed and typically less than $2 a package, and most veggies and fruits are very affordable as well.

-Vegetarians/Vegans are automatically super-healthy or super-unhealthy.
This is a somewhat complicated myth because it comes down to an individuals diet. Oreos, french fries, tequila (and most booze), soda, 7-11 slur-pees, Nutter Butters, tons of candies, Taco Bells bean burritos (sans cheese) ,and many cake frostings are all vegan! Obviously a diet rich in junk food vegan or not is terrible for your body and nutrient poor. The best plant-based diet includes a wide array of un-processed vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, legumes, and grains.

-Do I have to eat organic?
No, organic is great for the planet, but if your eating a ton of fruits and vegetables you'll be benefiting your health.

-How can you get enough protein?
By eating food! There are many plants that are packed with protein. A few examples are: Soy beans, Legumes, Lentils, Quinoa, Hemp seeds, and Spirulina. Even extreme athletes can get more than enough protein from plant sources. One thing that should be considered is that veggie athletes need about 0.1-0.2 g of protein per kg of body weight MORE that meat-eating athletes. Why? Because plant foods are less-digestible due to the amount of fiber they contain, you simply must eat a little bit more to get the same amount of nutrients. Another thing to be aware of is that most single sources of plant foods do not contain all of the essential amino-acids so they must be eaten in combination. For example, rice and beans make a complete protein, so does peanut butter and whole-wheat bread, and Hummus (chickpeas and tahini), just to name a few. These must be eaten in combination within the same day, but do not need to be within the same meal. Two complete plant-proteins are quinoa and soy.

-What about B-12?
If you are going to be a strict vegan and cut out all animal-products then take a supplement. Contrary to popular belief, you really can't get enough B-12 from things like wheat-grass, nutritional yeast, or spirulina. Just take a supplement. You don't need to take one everyday, your liver is capable of storing YEARS worth of B-12, but it is essential to your health.
If you are going just vegetarian and still eat eggs, dairy, or even fish, then you will most likely be getting enough B-12 in your diet.

Some symptoms of B-12 deficiency are: Fatigue, Weakness, Light-headedness, Lack of Focus, Nervous system issues such as numbness or tingling.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and soy are both considered complete proteins.

I personally find the "eaten in combination" wording you use to be potentially confusing. While one would have to eat both, say, beans and rice to get the benefit of the complete protein, you don't have to eat them literally in combination. Our bodies are capable of combining them even if they are eaten at different times.

What are your thoughts on Omega 3 supplementation for vegans?
  • NomadicaFit
    Options
    @janejellyroll You are absolutely correct that quinoa and soy are complete (forgot to note that), and that beans and rice do not need to be eaten in the same meal, but they do need to be eaten in the same day. I'll edit my post to include that, thank you :)

As far as omega 3 is concerned, there are plenty of foods that contain it: walnuts, flax and hemp and chia seeds, members of the cabbage family, and squashes just to name a few. Hemp seeds provide the best ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6.
    The biggest 'problem' with Omega-3 is making sure that Omega-6 is kept relatively low at the same time. It inhibits our bodies ability to turn the Omega-3 into DHA and EPA. An appropriate ratio is 1:4. Omega-6 is still an essential fatty acid so don't worry about excluding foods rich in it. Some examples are pumpkin, sesame, avocado, and sunflower seeds and oil.

Hope that was helpful!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    @janejellyroll You are absolutely correct that quinoa and soy are complete (forgot to note that), and that beans and rice do not need to be eaten in the same meal, but they do need to be eaten in the same day. I'll edit my post to include that, thank you :)

As far as omega 3 is concerned, there are plenty of foods that contain it: walnuts, flax and hemp and chia seeds, members of the cabbage family, and squashes just to name a few. Hemp seeds provide the best ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6.
    The biggest 'problem' with Omega-3 is making sure that Omega-6 is kept relatively low at the same time. It inhibits our bodies ability to turn the Omega-3 into DHA and EPA. An appropriate ratio is 1:4. Omega-6 is still an essential fatty acid so don't worry about excluding foods rich in it. Some examples are pumpkin, sesame, avocado, and sunflower seeds and oil.

Hope that was helpful!

Are you vegan or is this just an area of interest for you?
  • NomadicaFit
    Options

Hope that was helpful!

I am a strict vegetarian, but I am mostly vegan in what I eat day to day. I keep chickens and do eat the occasional eggs they produce, and I eat fish a couple times a year when I'm at a friends cabin and we catch it. I also don't worry about eating foods at a party that might have eggs or dairy, but don't go for the cheese plate or things that are obviously animal-products. How about you?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Hope that was helpful!

I am a strict vegetarian, but I am mostly vegan in what I eat day to day. I keep chickens and do eat the occasional eggs they produce, and I eat fish a couple times a year when I'm at a friends cabin and we catch it. I also don't worry about eating foods at a party that might have eggs or dairy, but don't go for the cheese plate or things that are obviously animal-products. How about you?

I've been vegan for ten years. More vegan/vegetarian RDs are awesome, it's great to see a science-based approach to vegan/vegetarian nutrition! If I could go back in time, it's what I would have chosen for my own education.
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow!! This is great! I was a little fearful when I saw the title but you nailed it. I myself have been vegan for 7ish years now and I do take a b12 supplement. My b12 always reads over 800, usually on the higher side of 900 whereas my non-vegan friend's b12 is always hovering around 400... So I believe everyone should take a supplement.
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm very glad to see another RD extending their education to Vegan Lifestyles. We need more people like you in the world @NomadicaFit
  • NomadicaFit
    Options
    LilacLion wrote: »
    I'm very glad to see another RD extending their education to Vegan Lifestyles. We need more people like you in the world @NomadicaFit

Aw thanks!! I'm not an RD yet, but I'll make sure to tell everyone to eat their veggies when I am ;)
  • NomadicaFit
    Options
    Drueru wrote: »
    Wow!! This is great! I was a little fearful when I saw the title but you nailed it. I myself have been vegan for 7ish years now and I do take a b12 supplement. My b12 always reads over 800, usually on the higher side of 900 whereas my non-vegan friend's b12 is always hovering around 400... So I believe everyone should take a supplement.

Haha glad you liked it! I noticed my b12 was low before I was vegan and I ate a lot of red meat, I was even anemic. Now it's great!
    I've only been Veggie for 8 months or so, but I'm going more and more Vegan as time goes on.
  • canadian_vegan
    canadian_vegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thank you!!!! i usually am a closest vegan in public cause i hate having to answer these exact questions all the time :P
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Are these any good?

beyond-burger.jpg
  • NomadicaFit
    Options
    Are these any good?

I think they're pretty tasty. They need some seasoning though.
    As far as their nutrition is concerned, they are pretty sound and can be an awesome boost of protein if you haven't had enough for the day.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great post! I pretty much have to explain to people everyday that it's possible to get plenty of protein on a vegan diet. There's so many choices :)
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm an ethical vegan and have been for 20 years. One thing I'll say is that back when I went vegan and I ate beans and brown rice and greens for every meal (but took my B12 of course) I think it was harder to be vegan, but easier to be a healthy vegan. Now there are so many processed vegan foods widely available and they are very tempting. Of course my life changed too--I got a desk job and a commute, and started rescuing abandoned animals in my community (there are tons just out on the streets around here). Being so busy means less time to cook and less time to exercise. But I've had an autoimmune disease since childhood and my rheumatologist always says that eating veggies and whole grains reduces inflammation and eating meat increases inflammation. He's not vegetarian btw, he says he's a burger/steak addict, but does recommend people reduce meat when they have autoimmune diseases. I know some will disagree here--I've heard of some people having remission of symptoms with keto... So I'm just saying what my doctor said.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just a point about booze - spirits (whisky, vodka etc) are usually vegan but wines are usually NOT vegan or even vegetarian.

Many (if not most) wines are cleared with milk, pig- and horse-derived gelatin or isinglass which is fish-derived.

The same goes for cask beers and lagers. Filtered, bottled beer is usually OK but still not guaranteed to be free of animal products.

If you're a veggie or vegan and are concerned about what goes into the manufacture of your food, it's worth checking that your favourite tipples are OK for you.

Good luck in your studies, OP!
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Great post. I'm vegetarian now 30 yrs. I would like to become vegan but have decided to get myself in shape first and once that is achieved, look at a vegan diet. I agree it is something that is easily achieved these days, compared to when I stopped eating meat as a 12 year old farmers daughter! That was torture!
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Plenty of wines are vegetarian, check barnivore.com for info
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Plenty of wines are vegetarian, check barnivore.com for info

Ah but plenty more are not.

I use Barnivore a lot. Here in the UK, a lot of supermarkets also mark wines as being vegan or vegetarian. The fact that I'm checking the info on labelling gives me a good idea of how common vegetarian and vegan wines are.

They are getting increasingly common but are still in the minority, vegan especially.

It's a good job I've cut down my wine consumption.
  • NomadicaFit
    Options
    Great post. I'm vegetarian now 30 yrs. I would like to become vegan but have decided to get myself in shape first and once that is achieved, look at a vegan diet. I agree it is something that is easily achieved these days, compared to when I stopped eating meat as a 12 year old farmers daughter! That was torture!

Thanks!
    I went vegetarian then started to go more vegan once I wanted to use my diet to get in shape. Is there a reason you want to wait to do it?
    Cutting out cheese alone helped me slim down some!