My body betrays me.. aka, help! I want to exercise.

Options
Okay, I've lost about forty pounds and have at least twenty more to go but I haven't been seeing much progress lately. I've purchased a digital food scale because my old analog scale isn't accurate enough. I'd like to start exercising but every time I try or even think about it something on me hurts or stops working correctly. For example: I've been eyeballing a local crossfit gym to try but got strep throat followed by throwing my back out while doing chores then this week some sort of foot strain/ sprain according to my doctor! I don't even know HOW that happened. So, how do I start exercising at home with a bum foot and a still cranky back? Is there anything I can do? I just want to get in better shape and lose the weight. Any good advice will be appreciated. Btw, the back thing is from when I was in the Army so it never completely goes away. I just try to avoid really aggravating it.

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Just walking is great, if your foot is up to it, and may help your back if you take it easy. (There are various "walk at home" videos online too, if you want to stay indoors in case your foot gives out.) Also try searching YouTube for exercise routines for people with disabilities or limited mobility, there are plenty of them! Something like seated yoga might help your back too?

Losing weight is pretty much all down to your calorie deficit, so keep your intake in line (allowing for the currently reduced activity if you were set up as active) and you'll still lose. Working on your fitness will help you to look and feel better, though, so try to do what you can but don't overdo it or beat yourself up if you can't manage anything for a while. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Walk for now. Try the more intense stuff later.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Apparently crawling is also good exercise if walking is out, use some knee pads and search you tube
  • kdemaio11790
    kdemaio11790 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Rebecca,
    I agree with Sue - walking is great. My friend has walking exercise videos and puts them on in her den to march along with. I love Pilates and Barre.
    Losing weight is 70% diet, but feeling good about your body can help to keep you motivated. Find a low impact exercise and gradually bring it into your routine.
    Good luck!
    ~Karen
  • ifbblinds
    ifbblinds Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    aqua exercise is a suggestion otherwise light walking and plenty of stretching daily! - dont forget, if you are tired you sleep, if you are hungry you eat, if your body is sore, it needs rest. There is no reason to push it as you will only aggravate yourself again and again. incorporate a daily stretching routine and light walking for now, slowly work that up into a brisk walk and light isolated weights (you mentioned your back is sore, you can workout your arms and take the load off your back?!) If you feel that you have plateaued then it may be a good idea to revisit your nutritional plan, change some of the food varieties and timing of meals, calorie deficit is key though without exercising dont cut yourself to short on calories or you will do more damage than good.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    are you eating a lot of different colored veggies and otherwise eating for strength so that your body has something with which to repair itself? Taking a probiotic? Eating keifer, kimchi, sauerkraut and yoghurt to feed the healthy bacteria in your gut? Etc?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, sounds like you will be best off to start off nice and slow then GRADUALLY build up over a long period of time. Along with walking, check out Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos. These can be done indoors and give you good variety, with low impact and adjustable to your level.
  • RebeccaLansdown
    RebeccaLansdown Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. Right now walking hurts so I may put that on the back burner for now. I might try some gentle yoga or Qigong if my back behaves. It's getting better though so I think I might manage that at least.
    In response to Carol's question, my diet isn't the greatest so I'm sure I can improve to try to get more veggies in.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    For me, if I have back pain one of the best things I can do for it is to go for a walk. Just moving like that seems to help. YMMV, though.
  • Majahonke
    Majahonke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving however you can without worsening your problems. Do whatever you can.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Don't let strep throat (which can happen to anyone) or random injuries get blown up to "my body betrayed me!" That's very negative thinking which can get in the way of actually getting down to working out when you've gotten over your strep and your back and foot thing.

If you somehow get it into your head that your body does not want to work out, or has nefarious plans, you'll find all sorts of reasons to go along with that narrative. Examine those thoughts.

I suggest thinking, "What exercises can I do to help my back and foot?" Because for back issues it's getting exercise after some BRIEF rest. Ditto usually for feet. Your body wants exercise, not lying on the couch. You'll do worse lying down.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start exercising but every time I try or even think about it something on me hurts or stops working correctly.

You have already accomplished so much! You can certainly do this.

Start easy. Consult professionals, if possible. Try a wide variety of introductory exercise and stretching classes. Work out at home with bands to build strength.

Have fun!