I think I'm officially a "runner"!

Options
I started running last May with C25K and now run anywhere from 10-15 miles a week. I'm slow, and still overweight (but 10 lbs from a normal BMI!) and it's not always easy and I feel like a bit of a poser out there sometimes.

But today, it was raining and my husband gets home and I'm in my running shoes. He says "You are still going to run?" And I said "Why not?"

I ran 4 miles, felt amazing, had my best time, recognized and waved at the few other runners out, and as I turned back into my neighborhood I was almost sad the run was over. I had a moment where I thought "Holy *kitten*!! I'm a runner!"

I'm sure when I head out Friday and it's hard I'll be back to my old slightly insecure self, but today was lovely! Especially when a year and so many pounds ago the one minute intervals weren't easy.

Anyone else have a moment where you realized "Hey, I'm actually DOING this?!?"

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Nice job and some practical advice. Take your insoles out of your running shoes so they get really dry. If You happen to be doing laundry, put them on top of the dryer. It takes longer than you'd think to dry when they get REALLY wet. There you have it. Go conquer (with dry feet)!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I salute you, runner!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Relish days like today!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

yeah, i still get dizzy. "i lift!" i'm more or less sure that it's true now. very much the same kind of thing you described.

congrats on the runnerdom thing.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm in this boat as well. Loving the challenge, but still feeling the burn.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hooray!!! Welcome to the crazy runners club. FYI -- It's where all the cool kids hang out. :)

PS- Try signing up for a 5K if you haven't already. You will find a whole tribe of us.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 910 Member
    Options

When I had my first podium finish at a race I realized 'I'm an athlete'. That was a shocker.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's something about reaching that point where you do something for the joy of doing it rather than because you're supposed to or you need to.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are a runner!! I really hope to be like you in a year!! I am on week seven, day three of C25K. My pace is pretty slow unfortunately. I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm going to be finishing the full 5k in 30 minutes in just another week. But I love the fact that I'll be able to run for 30 minutes, even if it's slow! I'm glad you came to this realization though. You are definitely a runner, and an inspiration to people like me!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »

When I had my first podium finish at a race I realized 'I'm an athlete'. That was a shocker.

I've had a second and a third in my age-group this year. I still can't quite believe it. I always thought athletes were other people, not little stocky lasses like me.

Keep on running.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think that is the most posts I've ever clicked awesome on. Great reading to me :)

I love a good zen run as I call them, where everything just seems right and seems like you could run forever.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    khenik6064 wrote: »
    Yes, you are a runner!! I really hope to be like you in a year!! I am on week seven, day three of C25K. My pace is pretty slow unfortunately. I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm going to be finishing the full 5k in 30 minutes in just another week. But I love the fact that I'll be able to run for 30 minutes, even if it's slow! I'm glad you came to this realization though. You are definitely a runner, and an inspiration to people like me!

I still can't finish a 5K in 30 minutes. I am at 33 and some change. So don't let that discourage you!

I've run a few fun runs, my best is 34:17, and I was smack in the middle of the pack!
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Nice job and some practical advice. Take your insoles out of your running shoes so they get really dry. If You happen to be doing laundry, put them on top of the dryer. It takes longer than you'd think to dry when they get REALLY wet. There you have it. Go conquer (with dry feet)!

Thank you, I will go do this now!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 day 1 at the moment. Going pretty slow because I want to enjoy it, instead of it being torture. It's getting easier and easier
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You absolutely are a runner and the best kind of runner. One who enjoys it and sees the positive impact it has on your life. Never let speed be the deciding factor on how you think about yourself as a runner. There is ALWAYS someone faster...
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. :smile:

And I love running in the rain. We're the best kind of weird.