Farmer's markets

Options
fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
It's about time for me to get groceries and I was thinking of hitting up our local farmer's market tomorrow morning for some local fruits and veggies. I've never been before but it's maybe a mile away and a BEAUTIFUL walk downtown including our Historic 9th Street Hill. I can easily pack my son up in his jogging stroller and venture down there but I'm afraid I don't know what to look for or if I'll be paying more of less.

In your experience, do farmer's markets usually sell less expensive or more expensive produce? I'm trying to eat more clean but my problem being I have a very tight budget for groceries... About $50 a week.

Replies

• frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it's always been cheaper for me to buy produce at the farmer's market. One tip that I have is try to go during the last 30-60 minutes before they close up for the best deals as the vendors want to unload as much as they can before shutting down for the day. The downside to waiting, though, is the selection isn't always as good. However, I've never had any problems finding most of what I need for a heck of a lot less than those who bought their stuff earlier.
  • joyfulmommaof2
    joyfulmommaof2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it's always been cheaper for me to buy produce at the farmer's market. One tip that I have is try to go during the last 30-60 minutes before they close up for the best deals as the vendors want to unload as much as they can before shutting down for the day. The downside to waiting, though, is the selection isn't always as good. However, I've never had any problems finding most of what I need for a heck of a lot less than those who bought their stuff earlier.

I always try to go at the end too... by that time the vendors are giving stuff away! But like you said the selection isn't always as good. But for the price its worth it to me! :)
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm so looking forward to our market tomorrow.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper at farmers markets because you cut out the middle man. The food is also a lot fresher than at supermarkets where it's often more than a week between purchase and it arriving on their shelves.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    All of our produce comes from the market! We have about 3 that we frequent. The prices are usually better and the stuff tastes better in my opinion.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In my experience they are typically cheaper. It just makes sense because they don't want to have to store or waste a lot of unsold produce. Plus there is the competition for your $ between vendors.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    produce is cheaper, protiens tend to be more expensive because they're organic or grass or grain fed instead of corn fed. If you get eggs (you must be an early bird to get your hands on some) I suggest it, so much more flavor than store bought. Take cash.
  • winnay
    winnay Posts: 3
    Options
    I definitely encourage you to check out the farmer's market since I help run two in my area.
    The food is much fresher and it is usually easy to find organic produce if that's what you're into.
    You also support local businesses which is also a plus!
  • jarnie
    jarnie Posts: 6
    Options
    wow you look great....keep up the good work.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We sell at our farmer's market every weekend during the summer. We pick our veggies the morning (about 4:30am) of the market so they are as fresh as possible. The best deals are definitely right before we leave because we don't want to carry anything home so we will cut prices, but those items left are usually our worst products as all the good stuff is usually gone within the first couple of hours of being there. We sell veggies, eggs, and home raised beef. We start at 7:00 and are often sold out by 9:00.

If you are going to make it a weekly habit I strongly suggest you find a farmer that you want to buy from, research their growing methods, and then if you still want to buy from them set up a CSA with them. That way you will know in advance how much you will be spending and you won't have to rush to the market as they will have your items set back waiting on you to pick them up. Heck, for a lot of our customers that have standing orders, we deliver to their house and even put it into their fridge for them.

Just talk with your farmers and you can usually get really good deals that you may not otherwise know about.