Plus size women heart rate monitor

Options
I tried searching and couldn't find much info on this. I'm a plus size women looking for hrm. I heard the ones with a chest strap are the best. I'm unsure how that would work for me and which are the best for bigger women. I do sweat when I work out include under the girls

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I haven't explored it myself, but most chest straps are just a hook and loop to fasten together, and in my experience the fastening system is the same for most brands. Some come with extensions to fit larger people, but you can probably buy the extension piece by itself as well if you have a strap that doesn't come with it.

PS if your photo is representative, you probably don't need the extension, but if you do, the option is there.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I haven't explored it myself, but most chest straps are just a hook and loop to fasten together, and in my experience the fastening system is the same for most brands. Some come with extensions to fit larger people, but you can probably buy the extension piece by itself as well if you have a strap that doesn't come with it.

PS if your photo is representative, you probably don't need the extension, but if you do, the option is there.

That's better than my idea. I was going to suggest duct tape.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am plus size and have the Polar ft4. It works great and has for a while. The best thing would be to find one you like then read some reviews (Amazon usually has some good reviews) That's how I found ft4 was good and fit plus size. :smile: Hope that helps.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    My wife finds the Scosche arm band to be sufficiently accurate and more comfortable as far as those concerns go.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have an old Polar FT6 (or something) and Polar H7. I used the standard chest straps up to size 40 bra band size (also large cup size) without issue. I put the strap on and then my bra. As you lose weight, remember to tighten the strap -- loose gives erroneous readings.

A couple of times the strap around my chest was a pain so I also got a Scosche armband. I did a comparison test (after reading great reviews of the Scosche) and results were almost identical for me in a spin class.

I like the chest strap because no one knows I'm wearing it and my H7 also broadcasts to my spin bike. The Scosche armband can be seen wearing a short sleeve shirt. However, some days I'll take visible over one more strap at my chest when I'm bent over on a bike.

I have been eyeing a wrist-based hrm that tracks activity and exercise well, is comfortable to wear and not be "man-sized". As soon as you go near a decent multisport watch they get huge. Apparently, women are only interested in basic hrms or fit bits....I have hope for future Garmin devices....
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm going to look into the kinds suggested.

^ and thanks. I have gained some weight since then but I'm that photo I was still "plus size" wearing a size 16 in pants. If you are fimilar with female sizing.