Do you think working in the heat burns more calories?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
We are under a heat advisory or whatever, just like most places are in the U.S. right now. Do you think working outside (say, gardening) in this heat and humidity would make it so you would burn more calories than if the weather weren't so hot? Just curious.

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    No idea, but I'm curious to see the answers. I know, it FEELS like I'm working a whole lot harder when I'm running in 80+ degrees compared to running in the 60/70s. Maybe it's all in my head because I'm sweating more?
  • joyfulmommaof2
    joyfulmommaof2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would love to know too! :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't think heat has any effect on the elevation of your heart rate. If your heart rate is increased by the heat, then you're probably burning more. If not, then you're probably not.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    It does feel like my HR goes up faster, but who knows?
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I noticed when we were in the heat advisory a couple of days ago I walked and my HRM was going like crazy saying I was burning more. So I don't know but I would also be interested in finding out more.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I agree that since it has gotten hotter, my HRM says my HR is higher than on the days when it is even 5 degrees cooler (95 degrees compared to 100 degrees). It may just be that your body is more stressed during this time. I know that I feel I am in worse shape at the end of a walk/run when it's hotter.
  • Ms_Blondie
    Ms_Blondie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I always the thought the more you sweat the more you burn. At least that's what I think.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I was just asking this question the other day. I would think you would burn more because when I was out the other day I felt I was working a lot harder to do the same activities that I usually do. Of course I'm no expert :smile: It would be interesting to know the answer for sure though.
  • pezmel
    pezmel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It does burn more but I wouldn't count on it. If you are trying to lose weight I'd consider anything done in the garden as "extra". Slow walking, gardening, etc, do very little to increase your heart rate, unless you are severely out of shape. If that applies to you, keep up those activities.

For the rest of us, we need to focus more on hard work. If you feel like you are working you are burning. An increase in heart rate equals a decrease in your body weight (when your diet is under control).