no sugar added spaghetti sauce

Options
leomom72
leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
so my goal most everytime i go shopping is look for lower sodium foods..the lowest to date i have found is light ragu no sugar added tomato & basil. my question is can you taste a difference, since it is no sugar added ? im only scared to try it, because my children are extremely picky eaters, and i would like to know if there is a taste difference that they might not like..thanks in advance, i look forward to reading your answers:smile:

Replies

• grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this specific item yet. But I do know that most sugar-free items anymore you can hardly taste a difference. My husband is diabetic and we buy a lot of sugar-free items. They have come a long way and most things you can't tell.
    My kids and grandkids come over and if I fix something I don't even tell them if something is sugar-free and they never know the difference. If you don't tell them they probably will never know.
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely tell a difference. So, maybe get some for yourself and the regular kind for the kids.
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Hunts version of this, and I seriously can't taste the difference. I like a little more seasoning in mine than they provide, so I always add a few extra herbs and garlic, but as far as the taste of the sauce...very good!
  • abigailhutch
    abigailhutch Posts: 101
    Options
    I haven't tried it....but couldn't you always just add a little more Italian seasoning or garlic and just doctor it up a little bit?
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it is an atrocity to add sugar to spaghetti sauce. I have no idea why anyone does it, including jarred sauce manufacturers. My mom is Italian and has never once put sugar in her sauce. Tomatoes are sweet, carrots are sweet, garlic and onions are sweet, there's plenty of sweetness in sauce as it is without adding extra sugar.

Besides the rant, I've used no-sugar-added jarred sauces and they taste great. No one will tell the difference! Just make sure they haven't replaced real sugar with sugar substitute, salt, or some other chemical type concoction to make it taste like their regular sauce. If you can, I would even scour the shelves for a similar all natural product and compare labels and prices...you might find a better deal in an all natural sauce!

PS As an alternative, you can make your own sauce EASILY and in bulk and either freeze or jar it yourself for later use. That way you can control exactly what goes into it and it will most likely taste better!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    it's so easy and quick to make a great spaghetti sauce, and that way you can completely control all the ingredients *S*
    and if the kids don't like chunks of veg just run it through a blender,
    Make a big batch and freeze some .. so handy!

as to taste... i don't miss sugar in my spaghetti sauces at all... i find a touch of apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar will add that same 'touch' of sweet for the tomatoes *S*

i doubt you will notice the sugar missing from bottled sauces either *S*
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much for the advice:flowerforyou: ..i will dip a finger in before hand to test, and add thyme and basil if needed
  • klamont9
    klamont9 Posts: 59
    Options
    If they do complain, try using 3/4 of the sugar free and add 1/4 of the regular sauce. That way you reduce the sugar by 75% and the kids are happy (hopefully).

That is how I got off of regular soda. When getting a fountain drink, I would make it 3/4 diet coke and 1/4 regular until I was off the sugar. Now I cannot stand drinking regular soda. Way too sweet.