fat old woman

Options
I am new to this and I need help. I am 71 years old, have worked as a registered nurse all my life and never gained like this until I retired. Now I have to set some goals and be accountable to someone or something. HELP

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Why don't you find a volunteer position somewhere? Your skills and experience are needed in lots of places.

Idle hands lead me to make poor choices.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You can change your username once. Just sayin :wink: Love yourself! I'm guessing you were on your feet a lot as an RN? Time to find a new activity you enjoy. And of course don't forget to log your food!
  • uglystuff
    uglystuff Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. My balance and vertigo prevent much activity, for the past few years. We used to swim daily , twice and ride the bike and use the treadmill. We have moved and are waiting to purchase a new home. The exercise equipment is in storage. I have had both knees replaced and both hips are going now. My motivation is......you guessed it. However for the sake of health, I have entered an exercise program, am tracking food intake and am truly trying to do better. After tracking for a week, and eating less than I should...I still gained 1 pound. Disillusioned... yes, I am
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You can do this, age is no barrier, just stick with it log everything and you will find you feel a lot better. Perhaps you
    May then consider chain g your user name to 'I did it senior'. Good luck
  • uglystuff
    Options
    Thankyou dejavuohlala
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a fat ol' medical assistant, age 63. I believe even us older gals can reverse bad habits and improve fitness. Grab my hand; let's do this thing!

(P.S. - I resumed logging only today. My upper teeth were breaking off from lifetime bruxism, so they were removed in February and my weight plummeted. It's starting to creep back up now, so logging is a must. Otherwise I fool myself into thinking "I'm not eating that much." Eating so much that I'm gaining weight is too much for my metabolism no matter how many calories we're talking about.)
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

can you volunteer with meals on wheels? my mom and stepdad did that after retirement and enjoyed it. got them out of the house and even though they were just brief visits, the social aspect was nice.
  • uglystuff
    Options
    I would love to volunteer some place, but I can hardly walk. Had both knees replaced and now both hips are going. My balance and vertigo keep me from being safe with others.
  • uglystuff
    Options
    I'm with you 2snakes woman.... I intend to succeed... Have taken some positive steps, including seeing a dietician, joined a low impact exercise program...concentrating on balance, am recording calorie intake and "praying"!!
  • SaskDad
    SaskDad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're a wonderful person. Nurses have big hearts and are beautiful people. Instead of posting as Ugly Stuff, how about Unique Smile or something nice about you. Stay positive and keep going!
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    lol at the folk who are telling her to volunteer after she's spent her life working as a nurse!

Enjoy retirement! Since you've reduced your activity you'll need fewer calories. MFP is helpful in controlling calorie intake.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Voluntaring is extemally rewarding and the beauty is you work when you want, if you don't want to that's fine too. Anything to get you moving is good, combine the duggedtionsand i knowyou will win through. Don't forget any questions drop a message happy to help, i would really like to see your progress.
  • hilarykerrod
    hilarykerrod Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any pools near you for aquarobics?
  • uglystuff
    Options
    Yes, we have access to a pool anytime, but I am not appearing in front of people in my ugly state
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    No one at the pool is looking at you. Certainly no one at the pool cares a bit what you look like.

As someone who swims (poorly but regularly) for exercise, I can tell you that the only people who have ever registered in my brain for more than a fraction of a second are the ones who seem determined to flail every bit of water out of their own lanes and into mine. And that's only because I swim so poorly that their splashing makes me drowny.
  • uglystuff
    Options
    Maybe I'll get brave and tackle it....you give me hope
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My mother was a nurse, now retired--86 and still going strong despite knee problems etc. Alot will depend on your attitude. Do look into swimming or acqua aerobics. The movements will be easier on your joints--just take things slow at first. As for how you look--I've been swimming for 20 yrs now and can tell you the older swimmers are admired for their grint. I'm 62 myself, so no great beauty, but I do my best. Give it all you've got.
  • uglystuff
    Options
    thank you! i shall heed your advice!!