Foods to eat before a first date

Options
I have a date tonight with this guy! So excited! We'll be going bowling later and then he wants to just stop at a Wawa for some dinner. Its not fancy but it'll be after he gets done work tonight and I think it will be fun.

Problem is, I get really bloated and gassy easily. What are foods that I can eat today for my meals before the date? I know not to eat garlic, onion, other stinky foods, and foods containing simple carbs. I'm looking for meal ideas that are filling, will give me energy, and will keep my stomach from bothering me.

Replies

• Aireyma
    Aireyma Posts: 55
    Options
    God I miss Wawa. I moved to the midwest from jersey, and I swear...I'd kill for a Wawa sub
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Firstly - good luck with the date - I'm sure it'll go well

I would have something like a breakfast cereal or porridge - its filling, not too bulky and odour neutral :) plus you'll have room for dinner.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Wawa?

I'd at least push for Applebee's :flowerforyou:
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We were planing on doing like a picnic under the stars. Lol
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    We were planing on doing like a picnic under the stars. Lol

Okay, that's a little better. Wawa in the late evening is like a breeding ground (here) for high school thugs and skeezy old men. LOL.

May I suggest while you're at Wawa to get their special "melon mix" as your dessert? They're pretty awesome.
  • amandarenee31
    Options
    I live more out in the country so, luckily, I don't really have that issue. And that sounds good. I'll have to check it out.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I have a date tonight with this guy! So excited! We'll be going bowling later and then he wants to just stop at a Wawa for some dinner. Its not fancy but it'll be after he gets done work tonight and I think it will be fun.

Problem is, I get really bloated and gassy easily. What are foods that I can eat today for my meals before the date? I know not to eat garlic, onion, other stinky foods, and foods containing simple carbs. I'm looking for meal ideas that are filling, will give me energy, and will keep my stomach from bothering me.

Have you been tested for food allergies? Gluten and dairy both have this effect on me, once I cut them out of my diet I was a much happier camper.

Good luck with the date!

I waitressed and always got annoyed by the 'rabbit' girls who just got a salad...I'm sorry to all the girls I judged. I'm that girl now, get fruit or salad, something that you know won't upset your stomach.
  • amandarenee31
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant but I buy lactose free milk and watch how much other dairy products i consume. Most of the breads and pasta's I get are all gluten free or have a low glycemic index
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Not advice for tonight, but for the past month or so I've been taking a probiotic a day - and I haven't had any problems with bloating or gas since.

TMI but I usually get bad IBS when eating out.
  • amandarenee31
    Options
    Not advice for tonight, but for the past month or so I've been taking a probiotic a day - and I haven't had any problems with bloating or gas since.

TMI but I usually get bad IBS when eating out.

Thank you! That might definitely be something for me to start doing. I just have a really sensitive stomach. I've had to cut out most oils because the grease bothers my stomach as well.
  • nextstepsailing
    Options
    OK, I finally gave in to Beeno for the gassy part...drink lots of water and well if you think doing some kind of restrictive diet will set you off to eat more than do not do it.

Oh, also, raw vegetables and brown rice will bloat you and give you gas. So cook things, lightly (steam).

Fruits cleanse and are easy on the digestive system...

Have fun.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also want to suggest (for future) that you take some probiotics.
    My GI recommended digestive advantage: http://www.digestiveadvantage.com/

You can buy at walmart, target, cvs, walgreens, etc.

I have almost totally eliminated all my IBS issues by taking digestive advantage, eliminating dairy, limiting wheat, eliminating soda, eliminating grease, and drinking 2-3 quarts of water per day.

Good luck!
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    Definitely stick with fresh foods! Oils really kill my body too. I like the idea of breakfast food, maybe try steel cut oats with honey and fruit?
  • nextstepsailing
    Options
    Breakfast cereal bloats! Especially porridge or oatmeal. No No No
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    Eggs, salads, lots of beneficial lean protein and veggies. And if you can find it, try some non-dairy yogurt either made with almond or coconut milk. My boyfriend is lactose intolerant and really enjoys that. Most days his meals will be: Non-crust quiche / toast for breakfast, big salad (lots of meat) for lunch, dinner consisting namely of a protein and a vegetable with some select grain on the side.

Be careful with Wawa stuff as it apparently has some hidden dairy content. I know my boyfriend has had issues with most of their sandwiches and ready-made stuff (save for fruit, veggies/hummus, pita wedges).

Grain-wise - stick to non-gluten stuff - quinoa, brown rice, wild rice. Just go easy on the quantity or it will cause some bloat. It should be treated as a small side item with the protein (meat) as the focus along with a good serving of veggies.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    got any beano? take some before your waka meal if it is going to cause you to bloat.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I have that problem... gas and bloated. So miserable! I have a food sensitivity to everything!

Raw vegetables work best for me.

If you really want to keep the bloating and gas minimal, keep to alkaline foods. Dark leafy greens with olive oil and bell peppers are best. For protein, I'd go for sprouted soaked/sprouted lentils. Possibly lean meats, but nothing pre-packaged as that's high in sodium.

Also, of course, water. Water and green tea.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, stay away from broccoli, cabbages, and beans! Root vegetables (carrots, turnips, rutabaga, etc.) are usually pretty safe and filling. Your best bet might be a wrap with a lean meat or fish. A chicken breast or fish wrap with shredded carrot and a little vinegrette should be safe and very filling.