weighing yourself

Options
ive heard different things about when to weigh. How often do you guys weigh yourselves?

Replies

• nextstepsailing
    Options
    Tough topic - I weigh myself when my cloths feel loose and I am not on my period. That is just me.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You should do what's best and healthy for you. I weigh everyday because I enjoy tracking my body and the changes it makes during the month etc. When/if you do this you have to be aware that your weight can go up and down daily and not let it get you down. If you are easily depressed watching the scale go up a pound or two, I don't recommend weighing in daily.
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    Everyone does it differently. I weight myself first thing in the morning on Fridays. Just once a week. No peeking in between.

But I know people who weigh daily and have great success. Whatever you think will work for you, but just try to be consistent.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Once a week (Friday morning)

Although being on here has actually made me weigh more often and it's not a good idea so I am now not going to weigh myself until 5th August!
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every other day, but the only one I usually use to track on here, and in my head is the weigh in that I do once a week. Whatever works for you :-)
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I wiegh myself Thursday mornings after I have been to the toilet haha, just once a week wearing only pants.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on Monday mornings, after a bathroom break and before eating. I find that it keeps me a little more on-track during the weekend if I know I have a weigh -in coming up on Monday!
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    First thing Friday morning (after a bathroom break and before I hit the shower) is the "official" weigh in day when I record on MFP but I usually peek at least once a day.....I know that's probably not the best thing to do but I just can't seem to help myself! It does help to keep me going though and I do realize that our bodies fluctuate so I don't get too disappointed if I see an increase once in awhile.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When I'm committed to weight loss *L* I would weight every Monday morning before jumping in the shower nekkid. It was my best way of being consistent and not overdoing scale watching, not making excuses for clothes, etc....
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, after going potty before eating or drinking anything, no clothes. BUT I only record one day a week.

For me stepping every morning doesn't make me obsess it keeps me honest about what foods/drinks do to my body day to day and honestly I find very little fluctuation now.

I also don't own a digital scale so I don't see .5 or .3 of pounds up or down, unless it's an ENTIRE pound it's not really noticeable on that scale.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    ive heard different things about when to weigh. How often do you guys weigh yourselves?

The important thing is to keep all of the variables the same each time.

-Weigh yourself on the same day every week (month)
    -Weigh yourself at the same time of day, preferably right away in the morning after peeing.
    -Weigh yourself on the same scale each time.
    -Weigh yourself with the same amount of clothing each time, preferably nude.

This way you control all of the variables you have control over.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    There are differing opinions because what works for one person doesn't work for someone else. Find what works for you.

That being said, I weigh (just about) everyday. I like to know what my normal fluctuations are. But seeing those fluctuations can be discouraging for some people.

Once a week is good for people who aren't so good at handling those daily fluctuations.

Once a month is good for people who need to see bigger results from one weigh to the next.

Then there are those who go months without weighing, so they don't obsess over the number.

All of these ways are perfectly fine. You just have to figure out what you can handle and do what's right for you. :-)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I also weigh Mondays. keeps me from going crazy on the weekends and I started 'officially' on a Monday. I weigh once a week now, but once I get low enough, will prob go to once a month - too often is too much imo
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'll weigh in about once a month or so for my official "weigh in". I'm going by "belt notches" and how the clothes fit in the mean time. Sometimes if I have a lot of salt, I'll hop on the scale just to see how much water it makes me hang onto, but that's just more curiosity on my part.
  • jdvrider
    jdvrider Posts: 4
    Options
    I weigh in every day, but I'm a sucker for data so I like to stay on top of what my body is doing. A lot of people don't like to though, and if being up a pound or two after a day you thought you did good would really impact your motivation, then allow more time and only weigh in once a week or so.

I've got a friendly competition going with a friend of mine where we use our Monday morning weigh ins, so that's kinda the "big picture" one for me even though I appreciate the constant stream of information I get from the daily weigh-ins. I like to go back and see if I have days where I'm up a little bit and I can identify patterns in my diet that match that same schedule, then I can make adjustments and see if it's any different.
  • dawbygirl
    dawbygirl Posts: 19
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every day (sometimes more than once if I've lost some weight and am enjoying staring at the lower number!). It helps my short attention span remember that I'm trying to pay attention to my weight. If I'm over yesterday's weight by a pound or two, I will take a moment to stop and consider reasons why: am I retaining some water? did I have a big meal recently and am carrying a food baby? has a week of eating too much junk caught up with me? Overall, it's also nice to know that the difference of a pound or so doesn't also make for a big change in my body, just as long as those "low" numbers keep getting consistently lower.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Weighing in naked every morning after I pee and before breakfast keeps me on track lol :)
    I tried the once a week thing and I found myself cheating the day after I would weigh in
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I try not to weigh in more than once a week, but I find myself stepping the scale almost daily. It can be very hard to see the scale go up one day when you think you've been doing so well. I don't recommend weighing in daily, I do recommend weighing in weekly, especially if you have a lot to lose. I weigh in on Monday mornings, helps me stay on track over the weekend :)
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    I weigh in on Wednesday mornings before I take a shower, that's the one I record but I do weigh myself everyday because I find it interesting to see the fluctuates and because I am a bit paranoid about the scale unfortunetley. Like others said though, don't do that if it's going to ruin your day, it just helps me stay on track.
  • darkdestiny7
    Options
    I weigh every day first thing in the morning. For me, my weight seems to be higher at night then right when I wake up. But it fluctuates so I record every Friday morning. It seems to keep me more motivated to know I may have dropped .2 pounds the previous day lol rather then waiting till a whole week has gone by :)