Why is my weight loss so slow?

Options
So im 5ft 7, 130lbs and trying to loose a little weight, be healthier etc and before this i ate so much but i stayed pretty much constant weight except during exam period where i gained about 3lbs. So about 5 weeks ago, i started eating much much healthier again, cutting pretty much all my snacks and about 2 weeks ago i seriously started, did proper exercise about 4 times a week and didnt eat above 1300 cal a day. So far ive lost a huge total of 0.4lbs. Why is it so slow? am i doing something wrong? Its just depressing to see others lose it so quickly.

Replies

• joclougherty
    joclougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi, sounds like you don't have a lot to lose so maybe that's why? I'm also 5 7 and started at 190lbs and want to get to 138, I'm quite thin at 138 and your already 8lbs less than that so you must be slim already? Jo
  • brittany33107
    Options
    The more you weigh, the faster you burn off calories. So since you're in the 130's, I'm guessing it is just going to take a while.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I agree with joclougherty, 5'7 and 130 already seems slim. You could not have much weight to lose.
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    Try to stop focusing on the scale and do some weights. It may not be the pounds that you're reallly wanting to loose, try to reevaluate and see if it's more of the toning factor. If it is, eat clean and try doing cardio w/ weights, measurements and skip the scale frustrations. I'm also 5'7" and goal weight is 130-140 with muscle. Good luck!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 130 pounds. I'm 5'4" and 126. I think you're probably at a healthy weight and your body is trying to tell you that it doesn't need you to lose weight. Maybe you should look at your goals and reevaluate? It's probably not weight loss that you need and rather you need to work on muscle development and tone.
  • cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    maybe you are at your ideal weight for your height. the less you have to lose the longer its going to take! i have a hard time dropping weight with eating healthy and working but i notice the pounds usually drop about 3-4months of my working out and eating habits being consistent.

how much are you trying to lose? im 5'4' and trying to go back to my running shape of 125 maybe for your height 130 is good maybe you should put on a few and just build muscle and get to the weight Jo is 138 seems healthy for 5'7'
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is 20.4 - that's why :)

Your body is already at a healthy weight and doesn't need to lose more so it's a lot harder. Eat well, work out and concentrate on improving your overall fitness and health - concentrate on toning up etc rather than just weight loss :)
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem then my friend pointed out that I may not be getting enough water so yesterday I chugged it like there was no tomorrow (I was heading to the bathroom every 30 mins) but then I weighted myself and I was down 1.2 lbs over night. Maybe your body was like mine just holding on to water weight and it seems backwards but the more you drink the less your body holds on to. Good Luck!
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    likely because you don't have any weight to lose. And if you're losing weight, you're replacing it with muscle.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you do the math, it is going to take a while. There are 3500 calories in a pound so if you eat 200 less calories per day than you usually do, it is going to take you 17 days to lose one pound. But that's okay. Hey 0.4 pounds is two butter sticks less of you! That is something to celebrate!!! I know it is hard but try to think of this as your new way of eating. Whether you lose weight or not, you don't want to gain and you want to eat healthy. This is just the new way that you eat (win, lose or draw). The alternatives are to stay at your current weight (in fact you might want to look up what you'd need to eat to maintain 130) or to gain. By the way, if you want to speed the process a little, you could go to 1200 calories per day. Hope this helps, hang in there!
  • jarnie
    jarnie Posts: 6
    Options
    :happy: eat more protein such as hard boiled eggs as a snack, or sliced turkey breast, yogurt if you like that. Dont give up. I joined Weight Watcher and exercised my butt off the first week harder then usual...ate to the T perfect measured, wieghed everything only to lose 1.8 lbs I was devastated. I want to lose 30lbs and it continued for 3 months 1. whatever and then .8 and . this or that...I almost quit because I am working so hard an nothing coming off. The scale isnt moving....they suggested eating more protein or you could not be eating enough of anything to keep your metabolism going all day. Try it and see if it makes a difference.
    Jackie
  • gwcurtis
    gwcurtis Posts: 4
    Options
    Exercise!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Ditto
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So im 5ft 7, 130lbs and trying to loose a little weight, be healthier etc and before this i ate so much but i stayed pretty much constant weight except during exam period where i gained about 3lbs. So about 5 weeks ago, i started eating much much healthier again, cutting pretty much all my snacks and about 2 weeks ago i seriously started, did proper exercise about 4 times a week and didnt eat above 1300 cal a day. So far ive lost a huge total of 0.4lbs. Why is it so slow? am i doing something wrong? Its just depressing to see others lose it so quickly.

Sounds like you're doing awesome! And you are at an amazingly healthy weight for your height. Perhaps you just want to tone up more?? There's a woman here who, like you, was perfectly healthy and went from looking just fine to OH MY GOD amazing. Let me find her blog for you for a little something to look at and see if it trips your trigger :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    stephanielynn76

Check her out :)
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options

Your body is already at a healthy weight and doesn't need to lose more so it's a lot harder. Eat well, work out and concentrate on improving your overall fitness and health - concentrate on toning up etc rather than just weight loss :)

I agree with this!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you do the math, it is going to take a while. There are 3500 calories in a pound so if you eat 200 less calories per day than you usually do, it is going to take you 17 days to lose one pound. But that's okay. Hey 0.4 pounds is two butter sticks less of you! That is something to celebrate!!! I know it is hard but try to think of this as your new way of eating. Whether you lose weight or not, you don't want to gain and you want to eat healthy. This is just the new way that you eat (win, lose or draw). The alternatives are to stay at your current weight (in fact you might want to look up what you'd need to eat to maintain 130) or to gain. By the way, if you want to speed the process a little, you could go to 1200 calories per day. Hope this helps, hang in there!

I love the 2 sticks of butter analogy. I'm going to remember that one when I lose another 10th of a pound! Thks!
  • thermarose
    Options
    i'm almost in the same boat, at 5'7 and a BMI of 22.9. I'm working hard and doing everything right and I've only lost 4 lbs since I started MFP in January :( (although there is the possibility of my old scale being broken, but until I know for sure I have to assume I'm losing hardly anything) Maybe I'll just have to accept the fact that if this weight comes off at all it's going to be turtle slow.

*edit: oops, old thread, sorry!
  • Disgustedmum
    Disgustedmum Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Help - I have been following the slimming world plan since 9-1-12 and so far have only lost 6.5 lbs. Over the past two weeks I have been running 5k 3 times a week and still no loss. I have 3 stone to lose - Any suggestions?
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight that's why!