Sedentary Office Workers: How Do You Get Your Steps In?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I take a short walk on my 10 minute break, hit the gym on my way home, and walk my dog in the evening for about 30 minutes. When I combine those conscious efforts with regular steps around the office and house I always get my steps (8k is my daily goal). On the days I skip working out or walking the dog my steps are lower (4-6k). I have an office job with a 1hr commute each way sitting in the car.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    10k steps is NOT a magic formula! Great when you can do it, but if it really doesn't fit into your schedule don't stress about it. What's important is that you get at least 30 mins of SOME sort of exercise/day (altho that's not a magic formula either - lol)

That said, I have a few suggestions: 1) don't keep a trash can or recycle bin near your desk. When you need to discard something, walk to the trash bin that's far away, and take a circular route to get there. 2) When you need to use the rest room, take the longest possible route to get there. Even on a different floor, if possible and use the stairs. 3) I understand about "not doing your job" while walking around our office. However, while I walk I am actually thinking about my work tasks, planning the next steps, etc. I find that I'm actually overall more productive when I carve time to walk around my office. If you're worried about getting in trouble why not tell your supervisor that you have a "condition" that requires regular movement. Usually when you refer to some vague "condition" in the workplace, allowances are made. And as I said, you may find yourself ultimately being more productive. 4) When I go to stores I park at the farthest end of the parking lot. Then, regardless of what I need I walk up and down every single aisle of the store - just for the steps (the trick is to not allow yourself then to "want" things, cuz that can get expensive lol). 5) Think about getting a standing desk at work, if at all possible. Again, allude to that mysterious "condition." You can buy desk-top converters for less than $100 on Amazon. Then, while standing and working, hop from foot to foot.

Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm an office worker. I get my steps by running 30-120 minutes a day, walking to work when the weather permits (2 miles each way), taking a 15-20 minute walk on my lunch break, and doing most of my errands on foot (I live in a neighborhood that permits this).

How much you walk during the workday is going to depend a lot on the demands of your job. The walking you do the rest of the time -- you can control that (assuming there are no underlying physical issues).
  • I wear a fitness monitor. Every time it vibrates I have five minutes to move or I get an inactivity stamp. I have feeling like I have failed so I get up and walk around...pick up copies, check the mailbox, or simply go to the bathroom. I also walk for fifteen minutes twice a day during my breaks. If I am early to work I park farther away to get more steps in. I typically reach my 10K and on an exercise day I hit 13-15K. If I am hiking the trails that day I might get as many as 20K plus. unless your office restricts you from getting up from your desk (telemarketing and the like) you should get up and walk the entire perimeter of the inside of the office at least once an hour. good luck!
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    I also sit all day. The only movement I get it to get myself some tea or go to the bathroom, both of which are really close to my seat. I had to find my solution outside of work: I changed my bus commute to a bike commute, I walk about 20 minutes during my lunch break and I take out my dog before and/or after work for a nice long walk. Without all of that I'd get like 3k steps max, but with it I can get 10k steps and around 75 minutes of biking.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I sit all day and only have a 5 minute commute, but there's no way I can walk to work as it's not a pedestrian friendly area. I go to the gym for 30-45 mins every day. :)
  • sissyn49
    sissyn49 Posts: 14 Member
    I also have a job that requires sometimes over 14 hrs a day at my desk. I just started standing and walking in place during conference calls, using my Fitbit to alert me when I need to get steps and using my lunch hour to get in more steps. I cannot do it everyday but when I do I feel much better
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I mostly make sure I'm doing some sort of deliberate exercise most days and don't track steps.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Taking the stairs is a good idea. If someone has an ordinary pedometer, the extra effort won't register on it, but it will still help with overall fitness. If you can't yet make the climb all the way, you may be able to walk part of the way, and then take the elevator the rest of the way.

Along the same lines as dschnitty's post, staying well-hydrated helps with motivation. Drink plenty of fluids and you'll be reminded throughout the day to get up and take a little walk. :)

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I walk 2.5 hours to get to work and back (2.5 total not both ways xD )

I'm thinking about doing this. I sit on my *puppy* all day but work about 3.5Km from home so I can see this working for me, either a walk or a jog. Just need to think about a change of clothes.

It's either this or bike and take a very long way to and from work.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    I work in a doctors office and am normally pretty active. On days like today - the provider I work with called out and I don't have patients to see - I've been known to march in place in the bathroom where people can't look at me funny :smiley: One of our receptionists bought this guy, and will peddle all day long.

https://www.amazon.com/Stamina-15-0125-InStride-Folding-Cycle/dp/B0027ZNH2O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490818168&sr=8-2&keywords=desk+peddler
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Don't get a lot of steps during the day but I ride my exercise bike daily
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    I walk during my lunch break :)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    The steps really isn't a critical thing if you are getting other excercise - it's really just a tool/an easy way to encourage people to get more active and is a nice "goal" for people to target.

For example, I go for a walk at lunch and whilst I don't care about or often hit step goals, I go to the gym and lift weights every morning. I took part in a step challenge at work, and I felt like my activity level actually decreased. I went from 30-50 minutes of lifting a day to 30-50 minutes of walking on the treadmill just to get my steps up. Whilst it was a fast pace to get the step number up quicker, it really wasn't any effort. The calorie estimation for the walking was much less of the weightlifting. Another issue was the row machine is (in my opinion) better for cardio/exercise, but I didn't actually get steps for that.

TL;DR - Step goals aren't magical and you can have low numbers but get good exercise in for same effect.
  • catalyst4514
    catalyst4514 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm tied to a desk 8 hours a day (coder) and I manage to get 10k steps most days. I can tell you it took planning initially though.

I get up half an hour early so I can treadmill 30 minutes before work. Work starts at 7 and I have a nearly 30 minute commute so yeah I'm up with the birds. I'm too tired to workout at night so this works best for me.

That 30 minutes is followed by 2 - 15 minute power walks during my morning and afternoon breaks with my coworker. If the weather is bad I walk the hall or walk stairs.

In addition, I park as far away from the building as I can and take stairs every chance I get instead of the elevator. Usually this will have me at 9400 by the time I get home. Sometimes I get those last 600 easily and sometimes I have to really work for them - if all else fails I "march" in front of the tv at night or dance to old music videos.

It can be done! Good luck to you
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I wasn't counting steps but I walked 8+ miles after lunch. My workload is nil and nobody missed me. When loaded with work, I fidget at a standing desk. I don't know how many steps I get for that, but it's not much.
  • mimapr
    mimapr Posts: 27 Member
    I had a standing desk at my previous (sedentary) job and it was great for increasing steps. True, I must have looked kind of funny, with my little dance while typing, but it worked. :) It was easy to make--a shelf from Ikea on top of a regular desk.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    So what's all this about steps? Calories In and Calories Out, leading to Calorie Deficit, is all you need, and it doesn't specifically require you to count steps.

Of course it doesn't. But this thread is not about CICO. It's about STEPS. Surely you know about the fitbit motivation, and the more exercise you do the more calories you burn...and so on and so on.

Pretty sure you understand all that. ;)

Yes I understand, and I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's fun. I just haven't felt the urge to bow to peer pressure and jump on the Fit Bit bandwagon.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    It's hard to get exercise in when you're life is so consumed in the grind of the day. I am an executive assistant in a well known company to the VP of sales. I have two kids, ages 10 and 12, and my husband travels frequently, so many times, it's all up to me. My son is in a traveling soccer team and practices 3X a week. I've looked at my crazy schedule and found a way to exercise nearly every day. I wake up a half hour earlier and take a brisk walk every morning M-F. At night, when my son has soccer practice, I walk the field for an hour. That's j u st under 4 miles. I force myself to go to the gym on the weekends to get in more cardiovascular exercise between laundry and grocery shopping. I'm tired, and most nights I am going to bed with the kids at 9pm, but I've l lost 20 lbs since January 15th. Take it day by day. Find the little hits- they add up over time. A year from now, you will be better off than today. Don't aim for a date- just roll with it and make these habits stick. Gauge how much progress you have made in a year from now. Be kind to yourself. And above all, don't give up on yourself. If you really want something, you will make it a priority.

Excellent compromise. I just returned from walking while my son was at a practice session, so that's just like you and the soccer field. Keep it up.
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    I started going to the bathroom on the next floor up, so I have to climb the stairs an extra few times a day. I also try to get in a 15 min walk on my lunch break.