Binge Eating Disorder and Dieting

Options
So I know I can't be the only one who has struggled with this particular problem, so I'm reaching out to see who all out there does, and how you cope with it/adjust for it within your diet. Me personally, I've gone from a binge every other day on foods that are anything but healthy(chicken nuggets, pringles, pizza, etc.) to generally being able to eat healthy filling foods. My way of coping has been to plan for one day per week that I can eat anything as long as I stay within my calorie limit... and for the most part this has worked. I still have a problem every other week or so though, with just not having a care in the world as to whether I gain weight or not. It is at these moments that the most important thing in the world is to feel stuffed. And then to sleep. Not a good combination by any stretch of the imagination. The best thing for me has been to remove the things that I don't want to let myself binge on. And it seems the combination of stress and certain family members ordering pizza are not good on the diet. So as I said before, who has struggled with this? How have you managed to overcome or at least fight this problem?

Replies

• tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm also working on this. I find the main trigger for my bingeing is a day when I am so busy I don't get a moment to myself to read, do a bike ride, dream, draw, or do something ...pleasant. Cue, a sort of resentful mood, nervous and desperate, and hey presto the fridge is waiting. The only answer seems to be to timetable something to do that is mine all mine, every day, however small. Not always easy. I do have a stressful job and a lot of people to deal with.
    So I recommend really looking into how you feel and what you are doing before a binge episode, see if you can isolate the problem.
  • TheFatLadyPortrait
    TheFatLadyPortrait Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am not diagnosed with any eating disorders but I do find myself having periods of bingeing from time to time. For right now I am just avoiding the foods I usually binge on. For some reason my biggest weaknesses other than things I just eat to excess because I love them are chicken (nuggets, strips, and similar things) and dairy products (ice cream, cottage cheese, most kinds of cheese I guess).

I have been trying to keep away from the worst stuff and I stopped keeping food in my mini fridge because if I get hungry at night I know I will eat it. I think loneliness and anxiety are probably my worst triggers. I have been pushing myself to be more socially active. It seems to help. Also, I suspect I might get a tad depressed over the winter. Spring is lifting my spirits and inspiring me to do better.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed or anything but I binge eat in my opinion. The issue with me is I binge eat with anything in the cupboard whether it's healthy or not haha. It's like someone else takes over your brain and tells you to do it and you get this sort of anger and defensiveness to anyone who makes a comment about it. It's definitely a coping mechanism for some kind of mental issue, I have anxiety and I usually find myself wondering into the kitchen when my anxiety levels are high or when I feel low about my life I tend to feel happy when I think of the next thing I'm going to binge on.

My biggest challenge is, because it's mentally related it doesn't matter whether I'm starving myself or eating 1800 calories a day because It will always still happen. Currently I've gained 6kgs in 1 month. So as you can see I have no idea how to change it but the first step is acknowledging the problem and when it occurs and then just go from that.

Any suggestions (other then medication for anxiety) I'm all ears haha I've made a fair amount of large changes in my life so I know that's also a factor in my stress levels. I'm just taking it one day at a time now.
  • little_b_9_7_94
    little_b_9_7_94 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think for me it has been kind of a hereditary thing... not in the true sense of the word, but as a family trait... Some families try to do lots of activities together, and that's great and wonderful, but for some of our families, the most important part of the day is when you sit down to a meal together. Or watch movies and eat popcorn...and pizza.... and icecream... Or when you make a special meal for your family... And you know it's those country meals that are packed full of calories to finish up a day of heavy eating with a heavy meal. It's just what some families(including mine) do together. So when your grandma asks if you want one of her homemade apple fritters made just for you, and you say no because you're trying to lose weight, you feel awful. For me most of the trick has been to ask my family if they go out to eat, or cook something to just make enough for one meal so it won't be in the fridge when I get home from work at 1am... because God knows that I WILL eat it. All of it. In one sitting. And if I'm being honest with myself and others... when I get home at 1 and smell the pizza..or fish sticks or fried chicken I look for it. I go through the fridge hoping it's there... and then I bless my family for not leaving me any. But honestly...there's nothing you can say to grandma that won't break both of your hearts... so when I go there, I just make sure I haven't eaten that day... But it's somehow relieving to feel I'm not alone on this road. I still do have a problem sometimes... but it seems truly looking at the amount I eat really helps... And the fact that I haven't seen my grandma in a couple months and seeing her today she said "You look like you've lost weight." That's also quite the motivator. <3
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes I can relate to this. I've had a problem with food for years, from binging and purging to ending up in A&E after taking illegal diet pills.

I found my problem with food stems from years of 'dieting' whereby I had an unhealthy attitude towards bad food leading to guilt and then more eating because I felt guilty and was self sabotaging.

I'm still struggling now but slowly getting there. I've started trying new healthy foods I genuinely enjoy so I don't feel deprived and if I have a bad day drawing a line under it. Exercise has helped to lift my overall moods too which has helped me have a more positive attitude towards myself and food.

I have also found ditching the scales has helped massively so that I've learnt this is a lifestyle change not a diet. The weight is coming off slower (by my clothes & how I look) but I feel healthier for it.

It's a long hard road but you can do it and you're not alone
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think for me it has been kind of a hereditary thing... not in the true sense of the word, but as a family trait... Some families try to do lots of activities together, and that's great and wonderful, but for some of our families, the most important part of the day is when you sit down to a meal together. Or watch movies and eat popcorn...and pizza.... and icecream... Or when you make a special meal for your family... And you know it's those country meals that are packed full of calories to finish up a day of heavy eating with a heavy meal. It's just what some families(including mine) do together. So when your grandma asks if you want one of her homemade apple fritters made just for you, and you say no because you're trying to lose weight, you feel awful. For me most of the trick has been to ask my family if they go out to eat, or cook something to just make enough for one meal so it won't be in the fridge when I get home from work at 1am... because God knows that I WILL eat it. All of it. In one sitting. And if I'm being honest with myself and others... when I get home at 1 and smell the pizza..or fish sticks or fried chicken I look for it. I go through the fridge hoping it's there... and then I bless my family for not leaving me any. But honestly...there's nothing you can say to grandma that won't break both of your hearts... so when I go there, I just make sure I haven't eaten that day... But it's somehow relieving to feel I'm not alone on this road. I still do have a problem sometimes... but it seems truly looking at the amount I eat really helps... And the fact that I haven't seen my grandma in a couple months and seeing her today she said "You look like you've lost weight." That's also quite the motivator. <3

I'm not a binge eater but I totally understand the family problem. For 10 years I was married to a Turkish man. Turkish culture is a food culture...the ones where you sit and eat dinner for HOURS where they just keep bringing one dish after another, after another, everything is delicious, and by the end of it you feel like you will explode. And forget about eating small portions, if I didn't eat the giant bowl of manti (lamb ravioli) my mother-in-law would take it personally. My ex was a bit of a good pusher because of his family, and I gained 40 lbs in the first years of our marriage. When I started to lose weight I knew I was just going to have to stand my ground and fight my war on my own so I would let them know ahead of time that I was 'on a diet' and they should plan some healthy dishes for me, not expect me to eat much, and to please not make me baklava. Usually they would give me huge helpings, so I would eat half and explain that the dish was delicious but I am full and I don't want to eat more. 'Thanks but no thanks' and 'I really appreciate the effort you took to prepare this food' became my mantra and I didn't get upset if they were offended about how little I ate because they were warned ahead of time. The thing you have to remember is nobody will do this for you, and sometimes it will feel like everyone is against you, but learning to set boundaries with yourself and family (especially food-centric families) is a big key to weight loss success.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I used to binge eat at night when I was in high school because I would often starve myself during the day. I'm 20 now and still struggling with it. I usually binge ate when I was sad or stressed or just bored, and since I was being bullied at school it was all the time. I saw a therapist when I was 16-17 due to how depressed and anxious I had gotten. It really really helped as I had no idea that what I was doing was having such a big affect on my body or what I was doing was wrong.

I'm still trying to fight against my old eating habits. Some days it is a big struggle, but I'm trying my best to avoid the foods that I used to binge on. And I think because of my old habits and witnessing my own mum go through an eating disorder as well I have such a strange relationship with food that I'm trying to hard to fix.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book Brain Over Binge, which helped me enormously. Mindfulness meditation and finding other ways to "feed" myself (and then doing them!) also help. I have found it to be somewhat of a process. The more I move away from binging, the less desirable it becomes, and the less frequent and powerful the urges are. I still struggle sometimes, but my binges today would be considered a snack by my former standards. Be kind to yourself and remember: Progress, not perfection.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am a recovered binge eater. I think the best way to success is understanding why you binge eat. Have you ever spoken to a counselor? I started seeing a counselor and quickly learned that my BED was anxiety related.

This. I struggled with bulimia for many years and was only able to recover after I treated my anxiety with counselling and medication. Addressing triggers and finding new coping strategies really helped. I found positive behaviours to reduce stress such as cycling, weight lifting or having a bath.
  • elpint0r
    elpint0r Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a long history - over 30 years - of binge eating on sweets. I had the whole gamut of disordered behaviors - hiding sweets, eating entire cakes and pies, eating them in the grocery store parking lot like a drug addict who can't wait to get their fix - you name it, I did it.

I did everything I could to try to control it - I even bought lock boxes and a fridge lock so I wouldn't eat sweets belonging to my family, I did counseling, Overeaters Anonymous, carried no cash or credit cards when I left the house, and every other kind of control strategy imaginable.

Absolutely nothing stoppped me. The only thing that has ever really helped me is medication, which was prescribed for me when I finally saw a bariatric doctor. It's still in me to binge, and I know it always will be, but as long as I take certain medications, the compulsion is mostly lifted and is generally manageable.

I can still fall back into it in times of high stress, but the addition of Wellbutrin to my regimen has helped eliminate that as well. It's been a long journey, but I'm happy to say I have lost over 100 lbs. I never thought I would ever be able to lose it like this because of the binge eating, but it's happening! All the best to you in your journey, OP.

Which medication are you on? just wellbutrin?
  • elpint0r
    elpint0r Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering binge eater/bulimic. I had gone to inpatient eating disorder recovery 2 years ago for a few months and that absolutely changed my life. I will say I still struggle til this day. The doctor put me on Prozac, but it was giving me terrible side effects. I was just prescribed Vyvanse which I have been on for about a week and so far so good. The urges are still there but I am able to use coping mechanisms to prevent them. (They still happen don't get me wrong).
    I am about 20 pounds overweight right now and I find it VERY triggering to go on a "diet" and count my calories. Theres a lot of books on intuitive eating that you could check out, to retrain your body how to eat normally and feel hunger. Just remember, slow and steady wins the race. Make healthier options, don't try to crash diet, and be easy on yourself most importantly.
  • ChristinaFever
    ChristinaFever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This can be so difficult to deal with! I agree with everyone who has suggested looking for the root of the binge eating through therapy, self-exploration, etc. it's such an important first step. I've suffered from an ED for years that manifests itself through seemingly uncontrollable binges followed by purge episodes - it hasn't been pretty, but therapy and medical assistance have been a huge help. I know suggesting medication isn't necessarily a popular idea on threads like these, but medications like Topomax can be really beneficial in controlling binge eating - granted this doesn't help the root cause at all, but at least helps to relieve this symptom of the underlying issue.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with BED about a decade ago and worked with a therapist specializing in eating disorders. This helped a lot and I would recommend it. Then finding mfp and changing my mindset around food really helped more. I stopped restricting so much and didn't demonize foods anymore. Prelogging my food for the next day helps a lot for me. Also including treats and foods that I used to binge on helps.

Every once in a while I still binge or eat compulsively in a way that doesn't feel normal. I just was in a cycle last week actually. But I'm way better at pulling myself out of it now. Usually it's only a day, occasionally a weekend. But I jump right back into better eating habits the next day and don't let the binge control me or give up because of it. I'm in a healthy weight range for the first time in my adult life and have been maintaining since last year.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with BED/compulsive overeating. I never sought any help about it though because I was in denial, then I moved overseas. I am so sick of this ruining my life. I go through phases. I'll be able to control it for months at a time and have no binges, and feel so much better about myself and so much more healthy, then all of a sudden it raises its head and I cannot do anything to stop it (or that's how I feel.) it's just so *kitten*, and I can't seem to pull myself out of this current binge phase (which has lasted now for around 6 months, and I've gained back the 30lbs I lost last year). Urgh.

What DID work well for me though was actually cutting out all added sugar. I normally would binge on sweet things or white carbs (which has the same blood rush as sugar). Once I cut the added sugar from my diet (I did it for 4 months last year) the cravings disappeared and it was the longest time I stayed on track without a big binge. I want to get back on this, but I'm not going to lie, it's HARD! The cravings for the first 2 weeks were hell, but yeah. Once you get past that? It gets a lot better.
    I fell off the wagon, as I was travelling for 2 weeks in the USA, where sugar is in EVERYTHING and as I was staying in hotels with yummy everything I caved and ate everything. Urgh.
  • danim10278
    danim10278 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with BED. It's an awful feeling to not have control over what I'm eating. Nights are when I would do it. A whole bag of chips, multiple sandwiches, basically anything in excess that wasn't healthy. My doctor prescribed Vyvanse. I was nervous about taking it and asked for lower than normal start dose. 20mg. I have had no side effects but dry mouth. It's been 2 weeks with no binges. I'm logging all calories on here and drinking at least 64oz of water and I have lost 8 pounds. I've never felt better! I have to avoid any sugar treats though because I don't think the self control will ever be there to just have 1 and not all of whatever I try.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Interesting that it's mostly women who are commenting about this. Do women have a higher rate of BED or are men just not chiming in?
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am a recovered binge eater. I think the best way to success is understanding why you binge eat. Have you ever spoken to a counselor? I started seeing a counselor and quickly learned that my BED was anxiety related. Once I got my anxiety controlled, my binge eating drastically improved. Then, I was able to lose weight which has also further helped my anxiety and its been a good cycle to be in. I look so much better and feel great, so even when anxiety pops up, I still don't really care to binge.

I hope you are able to recover. I know how hard it is to get people to understand your circumstance because people assume it's just a self control problem when it's so much more than that. I hope you find what works for you!

I also agree with this - my binge eating was definitely anxiety/depression related.
    Going through therapy helped this a lot, and I haven't binged in over a year (not saying I haven't eaten bad things, but not in a binging capacity).

I really recommend talking to someone and finding the root cause-I'm so happy I did.