• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    it's a part of my routine. my day isn't complete otherwise
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    For me it's building habits. I don't work out everyday, but I try to be active everyday.

Same for me. If I let myself skip too much, will I ever really go? Or will it be one of those things that I "mean to do" in perpetuity.

That said, rest days are important.

This isn't a problem if you find something you love.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I try to move every day - most of that is through my routine, structured programs or it could be as simple as an easy walk/jog on the weekend. But there are some days that my body needs the rest. I can tell - it's a totally different type of tired than my usual "ugh, it's 4:30am" tired. On those days, I take the rest...and I don't beat myself up over it.
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For some people it's like therapy and just makes them feel good. Simple as that I think : )
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't say I get stressed if I missed a day, but fitness is very important to me and I look forward to my workouts.

I work a very sedentary IT job and I don't get in much activity outside of exercise.

Exercise makes me feel amazing, it keeps me fit and healthy and I really love the results it gives my body. I love my walks, weights and Pilates! <3

I'm maintaining so I don't workout for the calorie burn. It just a habit for me now and I like to move it, move it. :)
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to work out but was super active. I walked or biked to work, because I had to. And for fun I would go hiking. But then I moved and needed a car to get to work and lost my mountains. So I became so lazy compared to how I was before. Now that I am getting active again I feel happier and better and I crave it every day.
  • CasandrasJourney
    CasandrasJourney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I run 40-60 minutes 6 days a week. I do plan a rest day because it's also nice to rest and do something else. I had two stress fractures because I would do this everyday and it was apparently too much for my bones - but that was before I learnt the lesson. That's only my humble personal experience :smile:
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Where does the belief come from (for those who have it) that you have to workout every day? Someone is always stressing out that they missed a workout or have to take a scheduled rest day! Why is this a crisis?

For many people, myself included daily exercise is considered basic maintenance and self-care. Similar to taking a shower or brushing your teeth. When you miss a day you don't feel right. Exercise is not something I do as an extra thing when I have time. It is a part of my daily routine and I don't like to miss it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,190 Member
    Options
    Or maybe it's partly things like this, from the US Centers for Disease Control:

https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm

that recommend 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity per week, plus at least 2 days of muscle-strengthening activities per week . . . which one sees translated in other places to "30 minutes a day of aerobic activity 5 days per week, plus 2 days strength training" (or some such)? Starts to sound like working out every day, one might think.

If the real question is "why be obsessive about it", well, once people think they need a habit, it's pretty easy to be obsessive about it, and stress about missing the target. Also, I'm always amazed at how much people want to catastrophize, and create drama for themselves - on many fronts, not just this one.

Considering the source (i.e., what I know about OP, as one of her MFP friends), I doubt the underlying question ignores the idea that some people have training or fitness goals, or feel better when they work out. I'm thinking the emphasis is more why the stress (freak out) if one misses a rare day (just because of missing), or hesitancy to take a rest day, even when a rest day is clearly needed based on other things the person happens to be saying at the time. At times, rest days are a necessary part of the process.

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I like working out/lifting/running and I go to the gym Monday-Friday. I usually just stretch one day and I like to run one day on the weekend. I rest two days from vigorous training. Your body needs rest to heal if you are training hard.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week and have a set schedule/plan for each of those days. When I miss one of those 4 workouts the plan kind of gets messed up, but it doesn't bother me.
    The other 3 days are what I consider rest days. I enjoy my rest days.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love to get outdoors and hike. I do it everyday and if I can't, I do get a little sad! Walking or hiking, to me, is very therapeutic.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I train Monday through Friday, rest on Saturday. I'm also involved in action pistol shooting. Which I normally try to do every Sunday during the season. I need my rest.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I run daily, with the belief that it helps me in my goals. The reasoning is thus: 1)i train low intensity and predominantly work my slow twitch muscle fibers. This is for long distance and endurance. 2)loading my muscles appropriately to have a training effect and recover within 24 hours. Catching the supercompensation upswing is sweet. Also, my aerobic range has grown to be large enough that I can have a "higher intensity" aerobic workout and a lower instensity/recovery aerobic workout. 3) I believe that capillary growth, increases in mitochondrial density and lactate shuttle all improve with proper dosing of training loads and regular sessions.