Cyclists and Runners Diet

Options
mikeeats
mikeeats Posts: 23 Member
What do you eat before and during a long ride or run that gives you the energy you need with no fear of bonking in the middle of your event?

Replies

• Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and jam sandwich - always seems to work well
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    What do you eat before and during a long ride or run that gives you the energy you need with no fear of bonking in the middle of your event?

Just sent you a friend request
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...:happy:
  • writinmama
    writinmama Posts: 15
    Options
    When I ran....well, I used to run, before I gained all this weight....I ate peanut butter and honey. I competed in 1/2 marathons and it was the only thing that helped me reach the finish line. I'm working to get back to that point in my life...I just need to dump the weight.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Any kind of protein. But normally I go ride about and hour after I eat. Lets things settle beforehand and begin to get into my system. In tomes when I am in between meals, I usually have a protein shake.

Sent you a friend request.
  • katiekido
    katiekido Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Depends on the activity ... but this works for me:

Running - 10+ miles, the day before I will have one extra small meal (cereal, fruit, yogurt or leftovers), I try to add in a little more than normal consumption of carbs. Before the run, I eat a powerbar. Every 45 minutes I eat GU energy gels. If I'm feeling fatigued before the run, I will have a gel with my powerbar pre run. I drink a few sips of water or sports drink every mile. Less than 10 miles I don't change my diet. More than 15 miles, I add in a powerbar with every meal the day before the run. I also hydrate with sports drink the day before a run over 15 miles.

Cycling - One hour + Usually eat my normal diet, and consume a sandwich 30 minutes pre workout. I either consume a powerbar or energy gel every hour on the bike. One bottle of sports drink and one bottle of water. Rides less than one hour I don't do anything different, just bring water and have a powerbar pre ride.

If I'm feeling cranky or tired the day before a big workout or during the day of the workout, I add in an extra powerbar, or snack.

After a workout - I always drink a big glass of chocolate milk.

Hope this helps!
  • icsracer
    icsracer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cliff Bar or Snickers Bar. I get my best results from a balanced diet throughout the day and make sure that I get proper recovery time. I have never had to supplement my energy.
  • mikeeats
    mikeeats Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The rides I'm current' doing are in the 45-70 mile range. Before, no matter how long my ride was, I would just eat and eat before a ride. My iron gut may be one reason why it was so easy for me to pack on the lbs.. Now I eat a sensible balanced carb/protein mixture. Maybe a quarter of a leftover bean and cheese burritto with one egg and toast. A banana after to get the muscles and nerves firing efficiently before the ride and a full serving of whatever I'm drinking on the bike that day right before I ride. It has to be right before I ride or I end up having to stop often when nature calls.
    Gels and protein bars(Tiger's Milk) are usually in order while I'm riding or when the group stops at the sag stops.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    My friend does the ultra marathon and other races, he started out eating pasta as a boost, as did my dad. Maybe toss some meatballs in.