Office Workers Unite!

Options
2»

Replies

• curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I secretly cover the under desk elliptical also!
  • srsrsrarah
    srsrsrarah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    curiousgp wrote: »
    Also adding that to combat the office goodies - my rule is I don't indulge unless it is home made. I'm not a fan of those that bring store bought cookies to the office - how is that a treat?

I have exactly the same rule. A nice home made cake is worth it but a cheap supermarket one ain't
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    The under desk ellipticals seem to run pretty reasonably priced. I may go for it, thanks for tip, folks!
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Laughing so hard I'm crying over the "leave my desk so I don't get a blood clot or something" comment....

I actually have a coworker who is off work due to getting a blood clot that almost went to her lungs! Who knows if the correlation is due to sitting, but it's something to consider!

Yep- this is accurate. I'm a clot survivor myself. Prolonged sitting is a risk factor. I have to make sure I get up and walk around at least every 2 hours.
  • donovanwoodworking
    donovanwoodworking Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job from home. There are days I feel just glued to this chair. Outside of the coffee, water, diet coke runs I do not move around too much. Being home I eat a healthy lunch then most days go right back to work. Being home and working is not an easy thing. At times (with a retired wife) distractions abound. I have co-workers who use a treadmill or stand up desks. I haven't done anything in that direction. It's hard to stay motivated to move.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I work a bank job that I enjoy. I do put an effort into getting more exercise out of work because of it, and I miss my active job, but I love my environment here, too.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    dlboyle26 wrote: »
    Laughing so hard I'm crying over the "leave my desk so I don't get a blood clot or something" comment....

I actually have a coworker who is off work due to getting a blood clot that almost went to her lungs! Who knows if the correlation is due to sitting, but it's something to consider!

Yep- this is accurate. I'm a clot survivor myself. Prolonged sitting is a risk factor. I have to make sure I get up and walk around at least every 2 hours.

I wonder if I can use this to be approved for a standing desk
  • isotoner
    isotoner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Desk job here. I try to get up & walk several times a day. I'm on the 2nd floor so I always take the stairs. I'm just getting back into good habits, so I'm trying to stay away from snacks but everyone seems to think they need to be on the credenza between a coworker & my desk. If I keep stress low, I avoid that.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,581 Member
    Options
    Desk job here too. I try and get up every hour to walk around a little bit. I also drink plenty of water so that I also have frequent bathroom trips/excuses to walk. I also work out at the gym after work and do some cardio and weight-lifting. I also take my dog out for a longer walk in the morning.
  • zepolainat
    zepolainat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Those office potlucks will get you!! I work at a call center as a facilitator for incoming employees and I spend 6 weeks with them in a classroom setting, needless to say we always build a bond, and so I feel messed up not participating in the potlucks so what I do is I will bring a healthy dish and make sure if someone wants me to try some of what they made I take a small portion enough to taste and say how good it was lol also I try not to encourage a potluck lol but if someone brings it up then I let the class have one
  • AlexandriaAmelia
    AlexandriaAmelia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started working in an office this past February. It's hard sitting down all day and not really being able to walk around. My desk is sit stand as well, I try to spend half of my day standing. The weather in my area is mostly rainy so it's hard to go outside and walk around without getting soaked. Can't wait for sunny weather!!! My goal is to bring food from home more often and not go out as much. I was looking at my bank account last month and it's insane how much money goes towards coffee, lunch and snacks at the vending machine. I've also been trying to drink more water. H2o is supposed to be natures energy drink!
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Crock pot tasty foods that you can pack up and have for lunch! I just finished some hot Gumbo and I'm sad I won't get another day out of it. It's a pile of veg with hot chicken sausage and it's under 200 calories per generous serving! I find a lot of homemade stuff like that (especially tomato-based) is very easy, yummy, and healthy.

I do this too. I make up a big pot of stew/curry at the weekend and portion it into pots in my freezer ready to take to work for lunch. I try to make sure I have at least 2 different varieties in there at all times so I don't have to eat the same thing 2 days running. Just finished some curried chickpeas and they were delicious.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm not the only one wondering about the tiny ellipticals!! I'm trying to find a used one!
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So this morning I walked in to find:

1. Office wide hot dog day
    2. My team is ordering takeout for lunch
    3. My neighbour brought in a bag full of snacks to celebrate that she will be working from home after this week.

Thankfully my will power is feeling STRONG today!
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm a medical office assistant. I get up to put patients into the exam rooms but otherwise sit at my desk.

My boss has allowed me to extend my lunch hour so I get an hour and a half for lunch. I usually go to the gym to lift weights 3 times a week during lunch and walk (weather permitting) at least one lunch a week.

I eat at my desk and my coworkers are very aware of my WOE!! lol I follow a low carb way of life so it's actually quite easy to adapt to office lunches and such. They are also envious of the results I have gotten from my lifestyle so they don't bother or try to tempt me much. They know I don't partake in cakes/cookies/donuts or whatever else is loaded with sugar. I don't even crave it anymore. If it's pushed on me I will usually take one, put it in a container or bag it to take home to one of my teen boys!! lol

I snack on nuts, cheese, pepperoni, peanut butter, fat bombs occasionally if I have a sweet tooth.

Stay strong!!! :smile:
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Bound, chair bound. My job has me sitting the majority of the work day. I am also in a northern climate, but I am lucky in that Minneapolis, MN has many miles of skyway connecting the buildings. This gives me the opportunity to walk during my breaks and lunch.

Typically I will eat my lunch while I am working, I'll call into a meeting and then eat while I am on mute. This clears my lunch break for my walk.

Sugary food is at every corner. I combat this by leaving my wallet at home. This leaves me stuck with the healthy food I brought from home and the free (yuck!) coffee at work.

I wear a Polar M400 that beeps at me when I haven't moved for awhile, so I try to make it a point to do something every hour; refill my water, get coffee, go to a meeting in person instead of calling in. My Polar allows me to have an overall activity goal, versus a step based goal.

I also use the skyways! I walk to and from work, try to take a walk at lunch, and maybe around 3:00 instead of reaching for the *kitten* candy bowl that is WAY to close to my desk. I actually take the long way to the bathroom to avoid it (and get extra steps). Bringing my breakfast and lunch to work helps me stay out of the cafeteria baked goods (warm cookie Wednesdays are the worst!). I spend a lot of time running between meetings. I've found that most days I can log 10,000 steps, and if I get a run/walk in before work I can easily log 13-15K. I can't wait till it warms up a bit more and I can take walks outside!!!
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wish we had a gym but we're a small office of only about 15 of us. Some of my customers have gyms that I got to help design systems for (Alcoa, Allstate, Progressive etc..) I. Really envy that and would take advantage of it big time. I have 3 areas I work in, so I do get to my various offices.
    I'm lucky if I wander the shop few times a day or get out to a job site for meetings or field engineering
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The option for a gym is nice. My work has a pretty outdated gym in the basement but it does the trick if I'm not wanting to go to my regular gym.