Hoping to find cancer survivors!

Options
Hi I'm a 30 year old brain cancer fighter and I say fighter because there is no cure for brain cancer. I would love to find people who I have dealt with cancer and Cancer Treatments and are now on the path to healthiness. I realize other people understand but sometimes I feel it's hard for them to truly understand what cancer treatments does to your body and how it makes you feel.

Replies

• Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cancer survivor but I couldn't bear to see this fall off the page without some kind of response so I thought I'd give it a little bump for you. I hope you find people here who can relate. I know they must be out there!

• JourneeAfter0704
    JourneeAfter0704 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hi sweetie! I'm going to send you a friend request. I do not have brain cancer but my daughter has been off and on chemo since she was three to treat brain tumors. Hers are a grade 1 but She has been on 4 different chemo regimens so I know about a few of the types of treatments out there and how they can affect the body. I also have a friend who has battled the same type a brain tumor but his is a higher grade, I might even be able to connect you with him if he would like. ❤ keep fighting and never lose hope
  • JourneeAfter0704
    Options
    EllaLeahB wrote: »
    Hi sweetie! I'm going to send you a friend request. I do not have brain cancer but my daughter has been off and on chemo since she was three to treat brain tumors. Hers are a grade 1 but She has been on 4 different chemo regimens so I know about a few of the types of treatments out there and how they can affect the body. I also have a friend who has battled the same type a brain tumor but his is a higher grade, I might even be able to connect you with him if he would like. ❤ keep fighting and never lose hope

Awesome!
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hey I finished treatment for breast cancer in November of last year. I put on 4 stone during treatment and my body is unrecognizable to me and not just how it looks. I'm tired and I ache down to my bone marrow so I know exactly what it's like. Every day is a fight for me to get fit and strong again but it's a fight I'm determined to win and you will too xx
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I had lymphoma 10 yrs ago this June. I was only stage 2, but they gave me such an aggressive treatment. I had to wear a chemo bag so chemo would pump through my system for 96 hours straight. I had zero energy. I only got out of bed to use the bathroom mainly.
    Even after the chemo was done, the fatigue was horrible. The fog was horrible. Just physically everything was horrible. But I NEVER thought that it wasn't going to get better. I had so much hope and anticipation for the future, and I think that is what got me through it all.

You will get though this. You will get stronger, and you will feel like yourself again. Just believe in that.
  • Azeria75
    Azeria75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had bladder cancer. For me, they luckily found it in the early stages. I've been to cancer support groups in the pass and I somehow never fit in there. What I have learned is that cancer treatments affects everyone differently. For me, it completely drained me of any energy, I felt depressed and loss a lot of strength. For a long time after my treatments, I would get body aches for no particular reasons and lots of dizziness. My body is just now starting to feel like I could actually work out again. I am only 42 years old, but there were times when my body made me feel like I was actually 82. How have things been for you? Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not a cancer survivor but my family has been severely affected by it so I know how awful it can be sometimes. You can add me if you want, I'm glad you are taking care of yourself!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Breast cancer found me even though I lived a pretty healthy life. Frankly, I was shocked because I thought it would happen to everyone else but me. You just never know how the cards will fall.

I don't care for the word "survivor" much, so I just say I'm thriving after cancer treatment. It was a rough go for over a year, but I'm still here to live my life to the fullest for every day I have left on this earth!
  • Azeria75
    Azeria75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Breast cancer found me even though I lived a pretty healthy life. Frankly, I was shocked because I thought it would happen to everyone else but me. You just never know how the cards will fall.

I don't care for the word "survivor" much, so I just say I'm thriving after cancer treatment. It was a rough go for over a year, but I'm still here to live my life to the fullest for every day I have left on this earth!

I pretty much felt the same as you. I was shocked when I got my cancer. The type of cancer I got is typically found in older male patients and usually considered to be caused by smoking. I've never smoked, but I'm guessing my body is more sensitive than others to second hand smoke.

For me, I didn't like hearing people tell me that I'm strong, because I didn't feel strong. I kept on falling apart and still am just trying to get myself back together. I'm simply trying to move past it all and find my new normal.
  • courtneydelaney14
    courtneydelaney14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to send request but I have something called chiari malformation I've had 2 brain surgeries they removed part of my skull, vertebrae in my neck and cut my brain off in that spot and a duraplasty. I know it's not brain cancer but it's a incurable brain condition I'm on medication. I have trouble eating I can't eat enough. It'd be great to have someone who understands the pain and not being able to do much but trying like hell to fight for our life and a cure!
  • JourneeAfter0704
    Options
    Thank you all for the support and understanding. I finished chemo pills in june of this last past year. It has taking me awhile to feel normal again and have the energy to workout and get on a healthy eating schedule. They put me on steroids to reduce brain swelling after my surgery and it made me hungry all the time. When I took the chemo I was basically eating whatever I could stomach or not being able to eat at all. My energy level was minimum and that didn't help my weight gain. I feel like my journey now is to be in control of my own body and to feel stronger and look better. I know losing my hair affected how I felt about my appearance and the weight on top of it didn't help either!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with breast cancer twice. I agree with Azeria75 that each person experiences the disease and everything that comes with it in their own way. The other thing that I learned was that you can "get used to" more than you might realize, but it takes time. I feel like I have more patience and persistence than I used to. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with going through cancer - it may just be a result of getting older! ;)
  • changeyourstarz
    changeyourstarz Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a Thyroid Cancer Survivor! I was diagnosed in 2012. I am hoping this fall to be 5 years Cancer free. It certainly has been a struggle. I won't let it keep me down though. Good luck in your journey! I'd love more friends and support so add me