Staying motivated

Options
Hey guys,

We all have those days where we struggle with making the decision to go work out. It may be the temptation of sleeping in, or a more enticing offer to make different plans in the evening, sheer exhaustion, or disappointment with results.

What are some ways you all stay motivated to get that workout session in instead of skipping? This week has been a struggle for me, I've just for some reason been so much more tempted to do other things but I literally am forcing myself to workout when the idea of doing something else is so appealing. I would love to hear from some of you out there on how you stay motivated yourselves!

Julie

Replies

• DGSki
    DGSki Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes I skip and then I feel so bad after, like was that really worth it... and I know how good I always feel after I am done. Maybe getting a partner to work out with or starting a challenge with a group of friends will keep you accountable? But if you skip a day here or there it isn't going to hurt! You just have to get back to it the next day. Good Luck!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have surrounded myself with the best group of MFP! They must all be east coast because by the time I wake up everyone has posted their workouts already!! How can I let them pass me up?? But yes, I do have horrible lazy and discouraging days.
  • Anoble17
    Anoble17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I box. I always look forward to it. Some times I'm really tired and I don't feel like going but then I think about how much fun I have when I go and even though its challenging, tiring, and I am usually sore for a day or two after I feel good. It makes me happy. Maybe you should try an group class or something new and fun in your routine. My mom does Zumba and yoga. Hear kickboxing is great for women and aerobic boxing is a lot of fun too.

Chin up. You can beat this funk :happy:
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Even when I don't want to do it, for whatever reason, I make myself give it 10 minutes, saying if I still don't want to I can quit. Well after minutes I am getting those endorphins and just want to finish it!
  • Juliane1986
    Juliane1986 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes I skip and then I feel so bad after, like was that really worth it... and I know how good I always feel after I am done. Maybe getting a partner to work out with or starting a challenge with a group of friends will keep you accountable? But if you skip a day here or there it isn't going to hurt! You just have to get back to it the next day. Good Luck!

Your right....it's funny because even while I'm talking myself out of going (and I still always go anyway) in the back of my mind I know I'll feel good after I've done it, and ridiculously guilty if I don't!
  • Juliane1986
    Options
    I box. I always look forward to it. Some times I'm really tired and I don't feel like going but then I think about how much fun I have when I go and even though its challenging, tiring, and I am usually sore for a day or two after I feel good. It makes me happy. Maybe you should try an group class or something new and fun in your routine. My mom does Zumba and yoga. Hear kickboxing is great for women and aerobic boxing is a lot of fun too.

Chin up. You can beat this funk :happy:

I actually do Zumba, Aeroboxing and workout once a week with a personal trainer. I gotta say the Aeroboxing kicks my *kitten* every single time. It's a hell of a workout. I just wish they offered it more often than they do at the place I take classes! The Zumba classes I Love but it depends on the instructor lol.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I created this image of my 'Before' pics from 50 lbs ago (well I originally lost 50 then gained 20 :( so now I'm trying to lose that 20) But I look at it when I want to overeat, and when I don't feel like working out.

269995_243386275681111_100000292204565_1011276_6888670_n.jpg

Cheesy I know but I'm not a graphic artist!
  • Juliane1986
    Options
    I have surrounded myself with the best group of MFP! They must all be east coast because by the time I wake up everyone has posted their workouts already!! How can I let them pass me up?? But yes, I do have horrible lazy and discouraging days.

I'm an east coaster too! lol. I generally only work out in the morning once a week when I'm working with my trainer. The classes her studio offers are only offered in the evening (or during the day when I work), which is a good and a bad thing sometimes. There are days a morning class would be nice just to get up and get it out of the way, and other days there is no way I could get mu butt out of bed more than once a week that early to work out lol.
  • Juliane1986
    Options
    Serenifly that's such a good idea! I love it!!!
  • Iron_Biker
    Iron_Biker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Visualize long term goals.

Try to make it a routine.

Go to gym with supportive friends.

Enroll in a jogging club (or your favorite sport).

If your sport is competitive, get a team and try some tournaments.

If your sport is boring, try another!!

Try different workouts every time.

Dedicate specific hours in your schedule to excercise.

Get some like-minded, fitness-oriented friends to cheer you up and help plan your workouts.

Monitor your HR/distance/endurance/etc. and try to beat your own records.

Buy a nice gym outfit and wear it proudly.

Reward yourself from time to time when you achieve little fitness goals.

Of course, everything here is tactics. Real motivation comes from within. Ask yourself what is needed. I know you can do it. It is just about finding our true reasons.
  • vicki915
    vicki915 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I have to admit I really need to get up early to exercise instead of trying to fit it in later in the day. But on the other hand, I was happy to double my usual calorie burn yesterday because I wanted pizza for dinner, lol. I do have a whole new respect for my food calorie to exercise ratio!
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months into my serious weight-loss attempt, and second month logging here.

1) I am fixated on losing weight. Some days, like yesterday, I really, really, really, really don't want to go to the gym. I got my family into it, so they were going and I couldn't back out if I tried.

2) Once I get to the gym and begin, I can't quit -- I honestly don't want to. It's 90-120 minutes and a lot of time, but once I get there I love staying.

3) I get shin splints but want to run ... so have a plan whereby am focusing on elliptical and bike and sloooooowly working up the treadmill using c25k. Having a plan helps.

4) I am a good soccer player. But old. And out of shape. I want to play again. Am nationally licensed coach, but just gave up my last team, so am free to play again. I need to be in shape to play.

5) My 10 yo daughter plays on a 12 yo team. She never gets subbed. Ever. Plays ALL game. I want to be like my 10 yo.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I go to my closet and try on the dresses that I want to fit into again. Or I stand in my bathroom mirror and look at my tummy, which I'm getting results in, but still have a way to go.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am in that same mood this week.. between this heat and being uberly tired with work, I have had to force myself to workout.
    A few things that help me:
    1. I change into my workout clothes as soon as I get home... usually i'll put them out on my bed so it reminds me I better go! Doing so makes me want to go outside and run or drive to the gym.
    Then once I get to the gym and see everyone I get motivated.

2. I remind myself of how amazing I feel after I work out and how much my mood changes too!

3. I visualize myself sitting on the couch and how I rather be working out (because I usually feel guilty if I don't work out or do some sort of activity) - just at that point where I need it. Mentally and physically. :)

4. I picture how I want to look, all sleek, and toned, and to keep achieving my goals!

hope that helps!!
    i know I need motivation today since it's 110 out and I want to stay inside! lol
  • Juliane1986
    Options
    You guys rock!! Thanks a lot! I got my *kitten* up and did both zumba and aeroboxing today...my reward...spending the rest of the afternoon in this 98 degree weather at the pool :-)