Fresh meal delivery services for weight loss?

Options
Hey all,
Has anyone tried any fresh meal delivery services for weight loss? I'm thinking of Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, etc. I'm specifically interested in one that has a "low-calorie" or "weight loss" meal preference option. I've heard that Seattle Sutton is good, but I'd love to hear other recommendations. If you've tried any of these, I'd be grateful to hear how it went for you. How long did you use it? How many meals per day? How much did you lose?

Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more for weight loss.

Meal delivery services for convenience.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

That. Although i eat a hella lot more food then i used to. Its hard to overeat on low calorie veggies XD

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've used Blue Apron and Home Chef, not for weight loss, but to expand my cooking skills. Home Chef has more low calorie options and is a bit easier to prepare.
  • jamilahlax
    jamilahlax Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you nowine4me. This is really helpful.
  • shonna77
    shonna77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Terra's kitchen is really great too. We did blue apron and chef'd and like Terra's Kitchen the best. We end up spending less money per week than we do on groceries and eat out way less.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

^^This

Having said that, I've tried HelloFresh, Blue Apron, and HomeChef. The menus are all over the place calorie wise. I've had meals range from 500 - 950 calories each. HomeChef does offer a Calorie Conscious option, though. When I selected that, my meals were in the 500-650 calorie range.
    HomeChef was also my favorite of the 3.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I read recently that Amazon is soon to have such a service in partnership with Martha Stewart.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've had family members do Seattle Sutton and they liked it and saw good results. Buuuuut it didn't really teach the long term skill of planning and preparing food for maintainence.
  • ehatch711
    ehatch711 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We have used Hello Fresh for the last six months or so, and while the meals are good, they are not necessarily healthy. For example, the HF meal I was planning on making tonight (New York strip steak, mashed potatoes, and broiled veggies) turned out to be over 800 calories and a whopping 48 grams of fat! In one meal! That is just crazy. I wouldn't expect to lose weight with a delivery meal service, unless you usually eat fast food.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Friends of ours did Blue Apron. While they enjoyed the meals, they decided to stop the service because they both were gaining weight. I think most of their meals were over 600 or 700 calories and then they added the obligatory glass of wine that occurs frequently with home cooked meals.
    They said most of the meals were yummy, though.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It seems like if you didn't know how to cook, this might be a way to get some ideas and directions, but it's probably just as easy to look up recipes online and go to the grocery store. Cooking at home might help you lose weight if you usually eat out, because restaurants often have less healthy foods, but of course that depends on what you're cooking and how you're cooking it and what you'd get at a restaurant.
  • Jellybeanz44
    Jellybeanz44 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used Hello Fresh for a few weeks and really thought it was too much money and waste (boxes/ cooling packs). The recipes were easy to follow and yummy to eat. They are fresh - so when you get the ingredients, you best be cooking that dish asap.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I get a local diet meal delivery (Fit 2 Go, Miami) and I love the convenience and options. Similar to DeliverLean but much less pricey.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've used both Hello Fresh and Blue Apron and found their meals to be pretty high in calories (500-850) but Hello Fresh is consistently lower. They were too high for me when I was trying to lose but now that I'm in maintenece I get deliveries about every other week. I like to try the recipes. If I like it, I try and find ways to reduce the calories the next time I make it. With that said, I've really enjoyed both services. I actually started using them to learn how to cook :)
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

100% this
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Isn't this sort of thing expensive? I'm way too cheap to do it. Plus, all that packaging waste would make me feel kinda guilty...But I suppose you could learn some new skills doing this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    You could get frozen dinners for cheap if prep isn't something you want to deal with. And the calories on each meal are printed. As long as you eat in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We tried Blue Apron but have kids and the meals weren't a huge hit with them. We did recently start using a meal prep place (that pre-preps so I just need to pick up the food). I use Super Suppers because they let you upgrade to hormone free meats and "better" grains (brown rice, quinoa, etc).

I really like it. We are in a time of life when we need convenience food and this comes pre-portioned, with full nutritional information, and keeps us from eating out too much. If you need the convenience and can afford it, I think meal services can be an awesome tool!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options

^^This

Having said that, I've tried HelloFresh, Blue Apron, and HomeChef. The menus are all over the place calorie wise. I've had meals range from 500 - 950 calories each. HomeChef does offer a Calorie Conscious option, though. When I selected that, my meals were in the 500-650 calorie range.
    HomeChef was also my favorite of the 3.

This is good to know. Thank you. My BF likes to order Blue Apron. I find it ridiculously priced, myself, and since I do all the shopping I don't quite understand why he gets such a kick out of it, but anyway. The meals are usually (not always) at least 700 calories and that's more than I want.

To OP: Some of these services put their recipes on their websites for free. Its less convenient, but much cheaper to print them out and do your own shopping, but to each their own.