Fitbit help

Options
Just recently got a fitbit and synced it to mfp. But, it seems to really over estimate my calories burned (see pics) can this be correct? If it helps I'm 5' 5' and 212 pds. 96l92tn19u0f.png
6si1jl8sqlg7.png

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn seems a little high. Perhaps check your settings in Fitbit to make sure your gender, weight, etc are correct?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What are your MFP settings? 1310 calories/day seems like a really low goal for somebody over 200 pounds.

My husband weighs 215ish at the moment and if he gets 12,700 steps, his burn is in that range (3500ish). I'd get closer to 2500 for the same steps, but that's because I'm lighter (currently in the low 150s).

But, yes, definitely check your settings. You may also want to check that your stride length is roughly accurate. If it's too long, you'll be credited with too many calories/step.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Did you log a separate workout that day as well or is it just your 12000 steps?

The figures don't look that high to me if you also logged about 250-400cals for a workout on top of the steps.
    I'm 5'2 245lbs and I've lost 25lbs so far trusting what fitbit says. It's not unusual for me to have 3200+ cals out with a similar step count to you, up to about 3700 if i also log a workout on top of the steps. I've actually lost about 1lb more than fitbit expects, even if i ignore a my data for the first week where i had a big water weight loss.

So essentially I'm saying don't be scared to follow the fitbit. Leave yourself a couple of hundred calories if you're really not confident in its figures. If after a few weeks you're not losing quickly enough, cut some more calories from fitbits estimates.
    Just remember if you have mfp set up to lose 2lb a week you've got 1000cals leeway before you either stay the same weight or gain, and your fitbits unlikely to be that far off!!!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Also it takes a few weeks for Fitbit to calabrate.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Taking into account your weight and height, thereby calculating your BMR, and adding a burn for the 12k steps, it seems to me like your Fitbit is coming in 500-1000 cals high.

A few things to check:
    - what does Fitbit think you weigh. I plugged in a weight update one morning, and my calories burned went through the roof that day. turns out i mistyped, and made myself 100 lbs higher by mistake.
    - have you manually logged any other exercises, creating a possible double counting?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,611 Member
    Options
    Your predicted calories based on your step count would be closer to 3000 than 3500.

The reason for this probably lies in the "discrepancy" between the amount of "active minutes" of "moderate or higher" levels of activity that your fitbit recorded (181 minutes) and your total step count as recorded (12711).

Usually, if all activities are step based and recognized correctly, a person engaged in "moderate or higher" level of activity records a good 100+ steps a minute.

One or more of the following may be true in your case:

a) you engaged in non step based activity that your Fitbit did not capture with a correct step count; relying instead on your heart rate

b1) you currently have a higher heart rate than your average cat, and your Fitbit thinks you're exercising when you're not.

b2) your Fitbit is relatively new and it has yet to "learn" your regular heart rate levels.

Review your settings and make sure the times are the same on both MFP and Fitbit.

If you did engage in 3+ hours of moderate+ level activities (walking around for example)... then consider that 3500 Cal is not outlandish.

If you only engaged in ~2 hours of activities... then monitor your fitbit as it learns your heart rate and starts becoming more accurate.
  • lisah180
    lisah180 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So yesterday, I worked a full day (I'm on my feet waking around all day) and than did a hr long Zumba class. I checked my Fitbit settings and they are correct. And I didn't manually add my Zumba class, I just used the Fitbit