New to the gym, no idea on where to start

Options
Hello, I signed up at a gym a couple weeks ago, but have no idea what I'm doing. I'm looking to loose weight but also gain muscle...all I really do is cardio but I want to start incorporating more things in to my work out....all you idea or suggestions are helpful.

Replies

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Look into strong lifts 5x5, fairly easy starting point if you're a beginner, be prepared to modify exercises by using dumbbells and starting at a lower weight. If you want to keep or gain muscle you do need strength training
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. No need trying to do everything at once. Here's a helpful article for newbies in the gym :
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-the-gym-everything-you-need-to-know/
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Maybe book a session or two with personal trainer to teach you the basics of the different machines. Just knowing what those torture instruments ( :wink: ) do helps heaps with confidence.
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, best bet would be to speak to an instructor at the gym? We have a health programme available at my gym, check and see if there is anything at yours? Good Luck!