what to eat when your poor?

Options
so im really starting to think about my life, and how i would like to start eating healthy / proper amounts, and exercising. the hardest part right now is i dont really have anything healthy for food, and no money to buy any. for breakfast i had 2 egg whites scrambled with some black pepper. for supper i have out a couple of chicken legs but i odnt know what to have with them, or what to have for lunch.. does asparagus count as a lunch? in my fridge i have :
some asparagus
a few snow peas
eggs
water
breakfast sausages
pudding
cheese wiz
chicken legs
in the freezer i have :
pizzaronis (mini pizza pops)
chicken legs
eggos
foyo
frozen penne pasta dinner.
in the cupboard i have :
tomato soup
crackers
potatoes
noodles/pastas of all kinds
rice.

i want to eat healthy but i dont know how to do it with what i have. i can buy groceries in about a week or so, my budget for the month, for both my partner & i, is 150-200$ please help!!

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you maybe just need to learn more about cooking. If you have the time to cook and make some effort to learn how then you'll be able to stick to your budget. And it's fun! There are so many great resources online.

Chicken, eggs, vegetables, fruit, potatoes, pasta, and beans are all cheap and healthy.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I buy tons of frozen vegetables when they are on sale. For protein beans are great. The dry ones are cheapest but the canned are not too expensive and save on prep time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Unless you have less money than before, eating well shouldn't be more difficult than eating poorly, but you have to educate yourself, shop smart, and plan ahead.
    • You can eat anything for any meal, no rules. Traditional setups work fine - sandwich and milk for breakfast, meat+starch+veg for dinner. Having 2-3 servings of fruit and 3-4 servings of veg every day is good. But no rules.
    • It can be helpful to think about "food groups" and keep in mind that all meals should have some foods from several food groups, and ideally eat something from all groups every day. Food can be grouped in differerent ways, I like this: 1) Fruit 2) Non-starchy vegetables 3) Grains and starchy vegetables 4) Dairy 5) Meat and fish, other seafood, eggs, beans 6) Nuts and seeds 7) Fats and oils.
    • You pay for convenience, perceived convenience, branding, advertising, hype, "fun". Don't be fooled.
    • Cook as much as practically possible from scratch.
    • Look at the price per pound and the price per serving. Price isn't the same as value. Consider what you get for the money. You are the one who decides what something is worth.
    • Buy just what you can eat before it spoils. Eat up everything.
    • Base your shopping on trusted favorites, but also aim to branch out and get variety. You can't afford to be picky, but you can't afford to throw something out that you just can't get down. Find a balance.
    • Buy non-perishables in bulk when on sale.
    • Buy frozen when frozen is best and cheapest.
    • Don't overdo expensive stuff. Protein, especially meat and fish is expensive. Use your food diary, set it properly, log correctly, and hit your macro and calorie goals.
  • keeshaoliver1234
    keeshaoliver1234 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you both so much for the help :) !! yes i am very low on time, going to work 40+ hrs a week and gonig to school, but im trying to make the best with what i have, & i am terrible at cooking haha, but maybe some online cooking help could get me going!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One simple thing: Eat the whole eggs. Dumping yolks is wasteful enough even when money is not a concern, and the yolks have protein and nutrients, as well as fat (which makes them more filling).

You definitely have the makings there for some simple, filling, healthy meals until you can buy more food.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    a good blog to check out is budgetbytes - she breaks down the cost of each recipe

also if you can swing it - look to do recipes that you can pre-make and eat for like a week - chili, soups etc - they freeze well, and often times making in bulk isn't too much of an added cost
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow-cooker? Or can you get one? You can throw stuff into it in the morning, keep it on low heat, and come home in the afternoon to a soup or stew. Beans, grains, root vegetables, and tough cuts of meat do very well with this method. (I've seen recipes involving chicken too. I mention the tough cuts because the long cooking process softens them and they're often cheap.)
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating as much as possible of the healthiest options you have available for the next week (eggs, chicken legs, potatoes, pasta, rice) and then trying to buy some of the cheap and healthy items that ahamm002 suggested once you're able to shop again. My grocery store keeps a discount/clearance bin in the produce department of things that are a little past their prime - all bags are $1. I can often get 5 or 6 apples, potatoes, peppers, zucchini, etc. They also have a discount area of nonperishable items where you can sometimes find a good bargain. Good luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I do an egg & cheese on a english muffin some days. Most days I make regular old oatmeal, the kind you cook, and add almond milk, walnuts, assorted berries, chia seeds. The oatmeal I buy at Costco for $6 and the box lasts months.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend checking out the post titled "$13.30 for three days of food". It revolves around a student doing a project where she had to eat very cheaply but wanted to eat as healthy as possible. There are tons of ideas from people on that forum. It's under the General Diet and Weight Loss Help section.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    rdevol wrote: »
    I'd also recommend checking out the post titled "$13.30 for three days of food". It revolves around a student doing a project where she had to eat very cheaply but wanted to eat as healthy as possible. There are tons of ideas from people on that forum. It's under the General Diet and Weight Loss Help section.

Here is the link for the page...a TON of good ideas and some links to some great resources.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10532393/13-30-for-three-days-of-food/p1
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Are the chicken legs the whole quarter, including the thighs? If so, you can season them (maybe with some salt, pepper, lemon and garlic) and roast them with the potatoes. Roast extra potatoes so you can have them with future meals or carry them for lunch. I think either steamed or roasted asparagus would be delightful with that dinner.

If you have some white wine or even some vinegar, you can reduce the chicken drippings in the pan (just lightly simmer it and scrape up the browned bits) and make a lovely sauce for the chicken, potatoes and asparagus. Use it sparingly due to the fat content and save the extra for future dinners.

Save the chicken bones in the freezer till you have a small supply, and also save and trimmings from carrots, onions and celery, and you can use it to make a wonderful chicken stock, which can also be frozen. Rather than buying pasta, it is pretty easy to make homemade noodles, which can be dried or frozen and saved. Use the stock to make chicken and noodles, with a side of skin-on roasted or boiled potatoes (actually I really like mashed, but you want to use the skins, which are the nutritional powerhouse), and a side of veg. Lovely.

The more you can learn some simple scratch-cooking techniques, the better you will eat, both palate-wise and health-wise.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Stock up on frozen veggies when they are on sale. Same with meats. Also plan out what meals you are going to cook and buy what you specially need. It's a pain to plan out a month's worth, do if you do two weeks worth and repeat it then it's a bit easier.

If you have a crock pot you can really do a lot. If not, I would recommend getting one. They are about $20 at the K-mart near me, so it is worth working into your grocery budget (or ask around, people may have a spare that they will give you, I got mine at garage sales).

With a crock pot you can make some amazingly yummy meals that are healthy. I haven't' tried all of these yet, but they look super yummy. http://www.delish.com/cooking/g1419/healthy-slow-cooker-recipes/?slide=2

With what you have right now you can make: chicken stew (the chicken, snow peas, cut up asparagus, and potatoes or rice if you prefer rice in your stew), breakfast for dinner (eggs, eggo and sausage), soup and a rice side, roast chicken and potatoes (and asparagus if you have any left from the stew).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Check Goodwill & Salvation Army for slow cookers. You may not find one (popular right now) - but if you do it will be really cheap.

Look for "manager's special" in the meat department. Typically, this is the meat that needs to be used the same day (or frozen). When it's chicken, I will grill it and cut it up for salads, casseroles, etc. A slow cooker is also a great way to cook several servings, salsa and taco seasoning is great for salads, burritos, tacos, etc.
  • keeshaoliver1234
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the help, feeling a lot better about all of this now, didn't know I could do so much with what I have :smile: !!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Make taco meat and add a can of low-fat or fat free or refried beans to the meat mixture. Doubles the volume for about $1 then you have lots of leftovers. You can then make tacos, nachos, taco salad, etc... This works for chili too.
    Add cooked, ground meat or some sliced sausages to a jar of marinara sauce and serve over veggie noodles (spiralizers are less than $10)
    Stews and soups can be made quite cheap as can pot or shepards pie - buy what is on sale and then use Pinterest or other websites to find recipes that fit what you bought.
    Eggs are cheap too and you can make a veggie frittata for a quick, easy, cheap and very filling recipe.
    Beans are always cheap and have a million ways to cook them.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like to buy a big bag of frozen chicken at walmart. They now have a 10lb bag. That can last a while for just two people. You can also buy a big bag of tilapia frozen as well. Then just make chicken or tilapia with some veggies. Then of course some and potatoes. Some romaine lettuce and make some chicken caeser salads.

Also, if you google up budget meals. There are tons of websites with recipes.
  • keeshaoliver1234
    Options
    also, yes i do have a slow cooker
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    also, yes i do have a slow cooker

Make some pulled bbq chicken. I use plain head country bbq. Just put your chicken in and the bbq sauce, onions optional and cook on low for 8 hours. It is so good.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You have pasta, beans, rice, eggs, and some veg! You're good to go!

With the things on your list, I believe I would make some simple fried rice with egg, peas, and asparagus (if it's fresh, I can't handle the canned stuff).