C25K

Options
leynak
leynak Posts: 963 Member
Hi! I am new to this site and very new to just exercising in general. I started 30DS in June but I keep seeing people talk about this Couch to 5K and was just wondering what's it about and how it's worked for people who have tried it. I have always wanted to be a "runner" and haven't been able to keep any kind of jogging or running up because of lack of motivation and it was just too hard. Any kind of help would be appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    I LOVE C25K! Same as you, I always wanted to run and never thought it was possible but this one is definitely a manageable plan. I'm in week 6 and still going. Try it!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    There's a lot more info in the link in my signature if you want to check it out but it's basically a 9-week running program that gradually builds you up to be able to trun a 5K (3.1 miles). Each week you'll do walk/run intervals and the length of the runs increase gradually week to week. I'm on week 4 and I love the program. My MFP C25K group ladies are also doing well with the program and some have already signed up for their first 5K.

Good luck to you if you decide to do it.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love C25K. I'm starting week 5 tonight. It's a 9 week program that takes you from the couch to being able to run for 30 minutes straight. It's a great way to gradually get into running. My biggest piece of advice though is to go to a running store where they will watch you run and fit you for shoes that fit your stride. That will really help prevent you from injuring yourself which in the long run will keep you running. Again, it's a great program and I would encourage anyone to do it.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    I love it - I did the "couch to 10k" iphone app, and it started me out running for 30 seconds, then walking for 4:30 , 5 times.
    About halfway through the 13 week training, I ran my first 5k. I was hooked. Signed up for a 10k and a half-marathon the next day!! Now I am in week 11 of the training, and have my 10k (6 miles) August 21. I can now run 45 minutes, walk 1 minute, and then run 25 minutes. I can't believe the progress in my endurance, and I honestly can't believe I enjoy it.... but I am a runner for life, now. Also, it has been the one thing that has truly "melted" away almost 30 lbs since March. :) Try it!!
  • jessdeweerdt
    jessdeweerdt Posts: 128
    Options
    I have always wanted to be a runner, but just couldn't make it. I am only on week 2 of the C25K, but so far I love it. I am excited to be able to run without being embarrassed of myself and lack of endurance!! If you've wanted to be a runner, you should go for it! I also love it bc it's 3 days a week, so I don't feel burnt out or overwhelmed (although I'm on week 2, so I should prob say yet lol)
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love it!! got it on my ipod touch. I'm on week 3 and can already feel my fitness has improved. My husband came jogging with me and says he sees the difference in my stamina already!! go for it, is great!!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: I HIGHLY recommend it!!! :heart:
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    "My biggest piece of advice though is to go to a running store where they will watch you run and fit you for shoes that fit your stride. That will really help prevent you from injuring yourself which in the long run will keep you running."

ABSOLUTELY! I went to runnersworld.com and found a local store that fit me with the best pair of running shoes I have ever owned, and it really did make a world of difference!!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am definitely going to have to try it :smile: and I'm actually kind of excited about starting! Whoda thought I would be getting excited about exercise :happy: