Bored and Stuck

Options
cashidy
cashidy Posts: 152 Member
I am dying at work today, it is pretty slow, but I love my job.

Someone entertain me? Haha

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    LOL SAME!! Save me!
  • PrincessMel72
    Options
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    @VonicaFlear you just made my day better haha
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    She doesn't look as fast as I was led to believe. Or as blue... Cute little gal, though.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    uqwbslizuf3q.jpg
    Here's a pic of my hedgehog pouting cuz she doesn't wanna get a bath lol

OMG how adorable!!!
  • VonicaFlear
    VonicaFlear Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks guys. She's the greatest. I got more cute pics if you want :)
    Here she is grumpy after drying off
    d4oqbcg2kao5.jpg
  • VonicaFlear
    Options
    2rv88dcbe3o7.jpg
    And what she looks like when she's actually in a good mood lol
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    What ridiculously adorable hedgehog! How did you wind up with her as a pet? What are hedgehogs like anyway? Sweet? Cuddly? Destructive?
  • VonicaFlear
    Options
    I actually got her used, some guy didn't want her anymore :( lucky for me though, cuz in the pets tore they can be as high as 600 dollars or more.

If you really want one, you'd be better off contacting a safe local breeder, because they actually know how to care for them (pet stores actually don't at all).

Hedgehogs are very quiet little animals, but they get startled and grumpy easily. You have to work hard to earn their trust so that they don't spike you when you try to pick them up. They're pretty hard to care for cuz you have to keep their cage at 70° Fahrenheit (over 20°c) at all times, and theyou need light for at least 12-14 hours or more each day. If you don't upkeep their temperature and light, they will try to hibernate, which can quickly cause them to die and shortens their lifetime if they don't die right then :c

They're also pretty messy, they like pooping on their wheel all the time so if you're squeamish this is not the pet for you.

However, if you're up for it, these animals are great for a quiet, clean home. I've found they're really great for people with anxiety, because they have anxiety themselves so it's something you feel very connected to. Also earning their trust is very rewarding. They go from trying to spike you every time you move, to falling asleep on you when you when you take them out to snuggle. Mine even gave me kisses the other day because she liked my mint breath :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I think I'm good with 2 dogs and hopefully a cat soon, but thanks for sharing! I don't know anyone that has a hedgehog as a pet so I was curious :smile:
  • VonicaFlear
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I think I'm good with 2 dogs and hopefully a cat soon, but thanks for sharing! I don't know anyone that has a hedgehog as a pet so I was curious :smile:

Yeah I just went into some extra detail in case anyone here was thinking of getting one. You have to be prepared for a pet like this! Lol
  • PrincessMel72
    Options

Yeah I just went into some extra detail in case anyone here was thinking of getting one. You have to be prepared for a pet like this! Lol

THANK YOU for being a great exotic pet owner! And for educating people about the complexity of their care. Too many people get a "cute" animal just because they're adorable, only to end up dumping them at a shelter, selling them online or killing them due to not taking care of them properly. It's awesome to see someone dedicated and knowledgeable like yourself! I've had chinchillas in the past and while they are very adorable as well, they're a ton of work! I'll stick to my fat, lazy housecats now :)
  • VonicaFlear
    Options

THANK YOU for being a great exotic pet owner! And for educating people about the complexity of their care. Too many people get a "cute" animal just because they're adorable, only to end up dumping them at a shelter, selling them online or killing them due to not taking care of them properly. It's awesome to see someone dedicated and knowledgeable like yourself! I've had chinchillas in the past and while they are very adorable as well, they're a ton of work! I'll stick to my fat, lazy housecats now :)

Wow thanks! Haha
    In all honesty I totally wanted a hedgehog because they're cute, but my boyfriend and I did tons of research on them first because we didn't want to hurt her. I'm not crazy knowledgeable, but I know where to point people if they need help with getting one.

I understand people getting upset at the difficulty of their care, but I honestly can't fathom abandoning a pet. I don't understand how people can just throw them away as if they're a possession and not a commitment you made. Maybe selling them to someone you trust, but not just giving them away. It's insane.

I was pretty upset with the guy who owned my little hedgie before me, he sold her to my mom, without any knowledge of whether she'd be properly taken care of. Luckily I already knew my stuff before my mom gave her to us as a Christmas gift!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    2rv88dcbe3o7.jpg

I've wanted a hedgie for years! We have a pet bunny and he's enough work for now, but some day I'll have my hedgie. She's adorable!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    So, which goes better with hedgehog, corn or flour tortillas?
  • VonicaFlear
    Options
    2rv88dcbe3o7.jpg

I've wanted a hedgie for years! We have a pet bunny and he's enough work for now, but some day I'll have my hedgie. She's adorable!

That's great! I'd recommend getting everything set up at home before taking in the actual hedgehog, that way you can stick a thermostat in the cage and make sure everything is set up properly before getting the hedgie. I wasn't given that luxury, which caused some close calls with her since I didn't have the heater set up yet. She almost hibernated on me multiple times while I used trial and error to get the best temp for her. Luckily she's totally fine now and happy as a clam!
  • VonicaFlear
    Options
    0sv9murn296z.jpg
    On a happier note, here she is sleeping :3