Question for ladies who lift

Options
2»

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    5'3 137lbs, 37 years old; been maintaining at 2200+ calories. I lift (training for lifting competition, so pretty intense lifting) 5 days a week, followed by mostly low intensity cardio...sometimes sprints. I'm moderately active otherwise (2 days/week heavy cleaning at an animal shelter...less active other days). I always aim for 150+ grams of protein.

His calorie goal is probably a little high for weight loss...wouldn't hurt to follow his advice for a couple of weeks and then reevaluate. The worst thing that is likely to happen is weight loss stall, and then you'd have a starting point to adjust your calories.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 161lbs, and 30 years old. I just started working with Working Against Gravity to lean out/lose the last few lbs. I train hard with a powerlifting coach 4 days a week, take 3-4 barre classes a week, and teach at least 3 classes a week, plus a conditioning day on Saturdays. My WAG coach has me on:

155g protein
    55g fat
    165/195g carbs, depending on whether its training or rest day.

This equals out to around 1750 cals on rest day, 1900 on non-training days. The scale hasn't changed much week over week, but the measurements and photos already show a huge difference. I'm also still gaining strength, which is super important as I'm competing twice in the next 4 months.
  • amers271
    amers271 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 124 lbs, 29 years old. I maintain at 1800-2000 calories a day. There was a time I was eating only 1400 calories because I thought I needed that amount to maintain. Instead, I had trained my body to survive on that few calories. I slowly added calories back in (like 100 more for a few days at a time) and found my sweet spot for maintenance at 1800-2000.

According to a TDEE calculator, you should be burning about 1700 calories a day if you are getting no exercise. (Of course, if you have thyroid problems or other issues, then this may not be true.) That's the amount you shouldn't go below for health. As you lose weight, recalculate this because it will change. Of course, if you exercise a lot you'll have to add some calories back in, but 100-200 calories lower than calories burned in order to lose weight.

This is the TDEE calculator I used: https://content.tigerfitness.com/tdee-calculator-total-daily-energy-expenditure/
  • drummondk
    drummondk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, ladies! I've been working with him for a week now and it's been great! He's kicking my butt, but I think he's going to get me where I want to be. I'm seeing his vision for my food intake now, and I'm thankful that he's more than willing to answer all of my crazy questions. Seems to be a good fit!