Reduced sugar ketchup...YUCK!

Options
So i finally got around to getting the Heinz reduced sugar ketchup and i had such high hopes from what people have said. It's pretty disgusting IMO and tastes super artificial. Leaves a bad aftertaste and I think I'll just go back to using regular ketchup. I think the extra 30 cals are worth it to stick to original.

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So i finally got around to getting the Heinz reduced sugar ketchup and i had such high hopes from what people have said. It's pretty disgusting IMO and tastes super artificial. Leaves a bad aftertaste and I think I'll just go back to using regular ketchup. I think the extra 30 cals are worth it to stick to original.

Probably the taste of the splenda - takes quite a bit of getting used to. (I'm somewhat used to Smucker's sugar free preserves (also splenda-sweetened), but definitely no where near as good as the sugar-sweetened).
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Funny, this is one product that I like better than the original. I feel like you taste more tomato flavor. Maybe I'm used to the Splenda aftertaste though. A few years ago, I stopped all artificial sweeteners, it didn't take too long before I could taste that weird chemical taste if I had some accidentally. You do get accustomed to it, but why would you? For me, it's the diet coke in the summer time. On a hot summer day, it is one of my guilty pleasures! (Only guilty because of the Splenda....) :smile:
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    BTW...I'm that way with chocolate...rather "pay" in calories for the real thing, and a small amount of my favorite instead of crappy stuff!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it turns out sugar is delicious. :frowning:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    It really grinds my gears that some (most?) companies making a "reduced sugar" version can't just reduce the sugar and leave everything else the same so that it's just a little less sweet. But noooooo, they just have to put artificial sweetener in there to bring the sweetness level either back up to the level of the non-sugar-reduced version or maybe even sweeter! :s:#

They don't want to miss out on the sweetness arms race.

I'd definitely try "less added sugar" ketchup. I would not try ketchup with splenda. That sounds horrendous.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It really grinds my gears that some (most?) companies making a "reduced sugar" version can't just reduce the sugar and leave everything else the same so that it's just a little less sweet. But noooooo, they just have to put artificial sweetener in there to bring the sweetness level either back up to the level of the non-sugar-reduced version or maybe even sweeter! :s:#

THIS!!! A MILLION TIMES THIS!!!!!.
    Especially jam! - It's mashed up fruit for crying out loud...it's already mostly sugar - why TF does it need 35 calories of sugar (or alternatively blech-tasting artificial sweetener) on top of the 10 calories of (mostly) sugar it normally has?!!! <end rant>
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Fountain (Australia) has "no added sugar" tomato and barbecue sauces, and I love them. The fact that they use stevia doesn't bother me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Fountain (Australia) has "no added sugar" tomato and barbecue sauces, and I love them. The fact that they use stevia doesn't bother me.

These get used regularly in our house...
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

They do the same with the lower sodium stuff often too- they add potassium.

I'm always reading labels, and glad that some things are just less salt.