small make-ahead sweet treats

buffinlovin
buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
So I meal prep all of my lunches for the week. Generally it consists of 2 veggies, or a veggie and starch, and about 3-5oz of protein (I generally use chicken breast, the mister uses chicken thighs). I try and keep the calories between 300-350.

I've been at this for 10 weeks, and I have no issue with meal prep, but I'm running into an issue where I crave something sweet at the end of the meal. For St Patties Day my boss gave me a package of little milk chocolate shamrocks the size of a quarter, and I've been eating one or two of those (I figure about 40-50 calories per piece), but those are going to run out soon, and I would prefer to make something where I know the exact calories.

I thought about using a recipe I found for a weight watcher peanut butter ball (kind of like a reeses peanut butter cup), I figure I can batch that and just add 1-2 in my lunch. But does anyone else have any treats that they make?

Replies

• natashachristina
    natashachristina Posts: 5 Member
    What about a batch of cookies? I recently made some flourless peanut butter cookies. I rolled 30 cookies, and stashed about half if them unbaked in the freezer. Calculated the calories and they were about 65 per cookie.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    To be honest, I know it's not a recipe, but I feel like this is when things like protein bars and protein snacks really shine. Optimum Nutrition makes these things called "Cake bites" that are 240 calories for a pack. A typical protein bar will run you about 170-200 calories. You could even do something like eat an organic cookie with high fiber and probiotics. You can always cut portions in half. There's companies that make healthy microwavable mug-muffins as well.

Now, this is just assuming you're trying to keep food "clean" or high in protein. If not, I mean, if it fits your macros/calories you can just take a walk through the super market :)

There is a recipe for "low calorie cheesecake" on this forum that a lot of us like, I'm going to be making it but using cupcake tins for portioning. That's a bit more recipe-ish :)
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I made some date/nut/cocoa truffles and eat one as a treat.
    http://pinchofyum.com/inner-goddess-chocolate-truffles

Or just actual dark chocolate. That's what I want, and a couple of little pieces hits the craving just right.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2017
    I make cheater chocolate muffins. 1 can pumpkin puree, 1 box chocolate cake mix. I use a mini muffin tin. Each muffin averages out to about 45 calories. I eat two or three. My kids eat them for breakfast. The little buggers have no idea they are full of fiber and vitamins from the pumpkin.

That will make you about 50 mini muffins and they freeze beautifully. Because they are mini I put them in my lunch frozen and by lunch they have defrosted.

I also enjoy a square of dark chocolate every night.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Thanks so much everyone!! I really appreciate all the ideas!! I love the mini muffin idea, and I don't know anyone who doesn't love truffles! I'll definitely look into those pre-made protein snacks, sounds like they could be really great to have around for near the end of the workday when I'm starting to get hungry and dinner is too far off.

I keep a bag of ghiradelli squares at home for after dinner at times, and they do hit the spot. Just trying to get a little variety, some new ideas. every time I search pinterest it gives me recipes that, no matter what i do, will never fit into my budget while losing :(
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Lately I've been sucking on a piece of butterscotch candy - 20 calories. Does the trick for me.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    This blog is good for baking recipes that end up being ok for calories. Some of the ingredients are a bit different, but I made some scones and they were good.
    http://amyshealthybaking.com/
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Werthers original hard candies...I do sugar free, hubby does regular. those sometimes will do the trick for a little sweet treat. I also have dove dark candies (45 calories each) and have had Hershey's kisses around too...
  • sarichardson1
    sarichardson1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    I like to take low fat graham crackers and nonfat cool whip and freeze them in individual servings. (Like an ice cream sandwich) Also sugar free pudding with non fat cool whip.
  • vmtama27
    vmtama27 Posts: 43 Member
    I just started making Banana bread with half the sugar and half the butter and it's only 99 calories for a good size serving!! You can freeze and thaw for a nice fresh treat!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    I make cheater chocolate muffins. 1 can pumpkin puree, 1 box chocolate cake mix. I use a mini muffin tin. Each muffin averages out to about 45 calories. I eat two or three. My kids eat them for breakfast. The little buggers have no idea they are full of fiber and vitamins from the pumpkin.

That will make you about 50 mini muffins and they freeze beautifully. Because they are mini I put them in my lunch frozen and by lunch they have defrosted.

I also enjoy a square of dark chocolate every night.

Do you make the chocolate cake mix as directed, or just mix and pumpkin?
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    You just use the cake mix and add the can of pumpkin. If it is too thick, add a little water. Bake as normal. They taste GREAT.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    You just use the cake mix and add the can of pumpkin. If it is too thick, add a little water. Bake as normal. They taste GREAT.
    I wonder if pureed sweet potato would work too. (I have some that needs to be used)
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Take 2.5 cups of fairlife skim milk and put it in a big mixing bowl. Add 3-4 scoops of Muscletech platinum creatine (this brand makes a difference because it blends so well). Add a scoop or a scoop and a half of isoflex chocolate whey protein isolate and mix it. Add one small packet of jello chocolate fudge instant sugar free, fat free pudding mix, blending it. Pour into containers, size as desired (we use 5 or 6 small glad containers but you could do more or less) and chill. It will set and taste like chocolate pudding. Make it even more like a dessert by adding a spoonful of cool whip free. Post workout chocolate dessert.
  • TejahBee
    TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
    Oh man! You can make peanut butter cookies with 1 cup PB (or 3/4 cup pb2 and 1/4 cup water), 1 cup no cal sweetener, and 1 egg. We make them all the time. I also make a large container of sugar free jello and portion it into 2 cup food storage container (this will help with consuming water in the summer months too!)