Why do I lose weight so fast?

Options

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    one caveat about exercise calories--if you are using an activity monitor, some brands report the total calories you burned during exercise, whereas others report the calories above baseline that you burned with exercise. So, for example, I could do an 700 calorie hike on runkeeper (basal metabolism + exercise), whereas my polar might report it as 700 calories - 400 'negative adjustment' because 400 of those calories were burned just because I was alive and breathing for those 2 hours (or however long). The exercise bought me only 300 "extra" calories, not 700.

MFP has already included basal metabolic calories when determining daily targets. So if I'm going to eat back my exercise calories, I need to make sure I'm only eating back the portion that is *above* my basal needs.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm trying to lose weight, the problem is I lose weight so fast. I am about 155 lbs at the moment, I'm trying to get to 130. Well I started eating about 1200 calories a day and exercising daily and now I'm losing about 1-2 lbs a day. I know that's not healthy and I don't want to lose it that fast. A couple months back I did the same thing, was at 155 lbs and lost 20 lbs in about a month. The reason why I don't want to lose weight fast is because I gain it back so fast and I don't want that to happen again. Why does that happen? What do I do?

Before you take the advice to eat more; how long have you been doing this? If it is 2 weeks or under them leave your calories where they are. You're losing water weight, especially if you have reduced carbs and sodium as well as calories.

If it has been a month and you're still losing fast (and using food scale as well as logging accurately), increase your calories.

But if she's netting less than 1200 by not eating back any exercise calories, she needs to increase her calories anyway.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Yes I'm trying to lose weight, the problem is I lose weight so fast. I am about 155 lbs at the moment, I'm trying to get to 130. Well I started eating about 1200 calories a day and exercising daily and now I'm losing about 1-2 lbs a day. I know that's not healthy and I don't want to lose it that fast. A couple months back I did the same thing, was at 155 lbs and lost 20 lbs in about a month. The reason why I don't want to lose weight fast is because I gain it back so fast and I don't want that to happen again. Why does that happen? What do I do?

Before you take the advice to eat more; how long have you been doing this? If it is 2 weeks or under them leave your calories where they are. You're losing water weight, especially if you have reduced carbs and sodium as well as calories.

If it has been a month and you're still losing fast (and using food scale as well as logging accurately), increase your calories.

But if she's netting less than 1200 by not eating back any exercise calories, she needs to increase her calories anyway.

Why? She says she is eating 1200 calories per day, which is the minimum recommended for women.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Why? She says she is eating 1200 calories per day, which is the minimum recommended for women.

she said she "started eating about 1200 calories a day" - no indication if she is eating back workout calories; info on how she is determining etc (scoop vs weighing in g)
  • try2again
    Options

So she's good to go burn 500 calories on a run only eating 1200 calories? (I'm not saying this is a likely scenario, and in fact, OP didn't specify how much she was exercising or if she was eating any back, but if she has a history of losing that fast at her size, she is not netting enough calories.)
  • My200lbLife
    My200lbLife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was always a "quick fix" "diet" kinda girl and now I just realize they were all fad diets and I just gained all the weight back just as quickly as I lost it - maybe water weight or maybe simply not sustainable. Now im trying to go the proper route on MFP. I think slow and steady is the way to go.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

We have no idea if OP is logging accurately, either.
  • try2again
    Options

No, we don't. I'm going by the fact she lost 20 lbs in a month on her last weight loss attempt, and seems to be approaching things in the same way.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    that's water weight. you can't lose fat in 1 day
  • try2again
    Options
    SadDolt wrote: »

Actually OP didn't specify how long she has been trying to lose weight currently. If it's within the last week, much of it likely has been water weight. But she said she did the same thing a few months ago and lost 20 lbs in a month, so I am inclined to think she is crash dieting each time.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

No, we don't. I'm going by the fact she lost 20 lbs in a month on her last weight loss attempt, and seems to be approaching things in the same way.

I lost 13lbs in 2 weeks (water weight). At the beginning of my weight loss journey, I lost around 20lbs due to water weight as well. I'm not sure I caught the time frame of the loss. If she was losing 20lbs of fat/muscle a month, her daily deficit would be around 2500... that's why I was wondering. Crash diet for a month, perhaps?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    1lb fast is water weight. 2lbs fast is water weight. 5 lbs fast is water weight.
    10lbs? 20lbs? I don't think so. At some point there is more than water weight.

A huge deficit created by under-eating and over-exercising throwing you in a VLCD situation and significantly affecting your hormonal levels... much more likely.

"There was group × time interaction in serum concentrations of leptin, testosterone, T3 (p < 0.001), and estradiol (p < 0.01; Figures 3A–D). This was shown as decreases in these hormones due to the diet when compared to the control group. Leptin and estradiol (Figures 3A,C) increased back to baseline while T3 (Figures 3D, 4) and testosterone (Figure 3B) remained slightly, but significantly below the baseline even after the recovery period"

<my note: recovery period was 3-4 months with weight regain>
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2016.00689/full
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    SadDolt wrote: »

Actually OP didn't specify how long she has been trying to lose weight currently. If it's within the last week, much of it likely has been water weight. But she said she did the same thing a few months ago and lost 20 lbs in a month, so I am inclined to think she is crash dieting each time.

she stated she was losing 1-2 pounds a day
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

And you've been doing this, how long exactly?

In my first 4 days, I lost 1 pound a day. Then I sat around the same weight for nearly 2 weeks.
  • try2again
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    1lb fast is water weight. 2lbs fast is water weight. 5 lbs fast is water weight.
    10lbs? 20lbs? I don't think so. At some point there is more than water weight.

A huge deficit created by under-eating and over-exercising throwing you in a VLCD situation and significantly affecting your hormonal levels... much more likely.

"There was group × time interaction in serum concentrations of leptin, testosterone, T3 (p < 0.001), and estradiol (p < 0.01; Figures 3A–D). This was shown as decreases in these hormones due to the diet when compared to the control group. Leptin and estradiol (Figures 3A,C) increased back to baseline while T3 (Figures 3D, 4) and testosterone (Figure 3B) remained slightly, but significantly below the baseline even after the recovery period"

<my note: recovery period was 3-4 months with weight regain>
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2016.00689/full

Thank you! I was starting to wonder if I was on the same thread as others.

Yes, OP, if you have started your diet in the last few days, most of what you're seeing on the scale is water loss, especially if you are restricting carbs as part of your efforts (and conversely, when you re-introduce carbs, you will see your weight spike). But if you are eating the same way you did to lose 20 lbs in a month, you are not eating enough. With only 25 lbs to lose, you should be pursuing no more that a 1 lb/week goal and eating back part of your exercise calories (assuming your logging is accurate).
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I actually disregarded the "I lost 20 pounds in a month" part. I figured she is not really remembering accurately.
  • try2again
    Options

I actually disregarded the "I lost 20 pounds in a month" part. I figured she is not really remembering accurately.

It's sort of silly to be debating info we don't have, especially since she doesn't seem as interested in it as we are. I was just going by what I read.
  • zaynesmommy2015
    zaynesmommy2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been been on my diet currently for about a week and I'm already down to 148lbs (started off at 155) and no I don't eat back my exercise calories. I kind of get a little too excited when I see that I'm losing weight fast so I try not eating more than my 1200 calories. I know it's it's risky but I might just start eating back my excerise calorie like everyone say.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been been on my diet currently for about a week and I'm already down to 148lbs (started off at 155) and no I don't eat back my exercise calories. I kind of get a little too excited when I see that I'm losing weight fast so I try not eating more than my 1200 calories. I know it's it's risky but I might just start eating back my excerise calorie like everyone say.

so actually you're happy to crash diet every time!?