Craving some McDonald's Right Now...

Options
Hey if I choose to go to McDonald's can I just get something healthy? Usually I just get a grilled chicken salad and order a small pack of fries. Will it hurt do you think? I got plenty of calories left.

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I eat at McDonalds all the time. If you can fit it into your calories it is fine. I usually get a BigMac and small fries for 780 calories (if it is dinner). If not I get a cheeseburger and small fries for 530 calories.

ETA By "all the time" I mean once a week or so.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey if I choose to go to McDonald's can I just get something healthy? Usually I just get a grilled chicken salad and order a small pack of fries. Will it hurt do you think? I got plenty of calories left.

Get whatever fits your cals and macros
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Finding a sustainable way of eating is key to maintaining your weight loss.

If it fits in your calorie goal having McDonald's once in awhile it certainly doesn't hurt, especially if it helps you adhere to your goals.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sincere question - how would it hurt? You already stated, that you have the calories for the meal. What negative impact do you think eating McDonalds would have? And why?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If I do that it starts with just a chicken wrap. I then admit I like the fries...and its been awhile since I had a big Mac...oh what the heck give me the large fries.... I do much better packing a chicken salad sandwich and having a glass of water. The calories I save can go toward my beer and wine later.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about calories, not whether or not you eat McDonalds or some particular food or another.
  • Jayfeather15
    Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sincere question - how would it hurt? You already stated, that you have the calories for the meal. What negative impact do you think eating McDonalds would have? And why?
    I'm still learning at this. When I diet I usually watch the fat sugar and calories. And fast food is usually out of the question. But with this calories are the only thing that matters. Anyway I got the food. Do I have to count the dressing and condiments too?

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning at this. When I diet I usually watch the fat sugar and calories. And fast food is usually out of the question. But with this calories are the only thing that matters. Anyway I got the food. Do I have to count the dressing and condiments too?

Yes. Count everything.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Do I have to count the dressing and condiments too?

ABSOLUTELY!!! You have to log every single drop of food you eat no matter what it is, how small it is, or anything. Every. Single. Drop. And I will say especially condiments. Ketchup has cals, and dipping sauces are even higher.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Macros matter for health, just not for actually weight loss.
  • Jayfeather15
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »

I still eat at McDonalds sometimes but normally on a weekend when I sleep in passed breakfast or on a cardio day where I can afford to eat a bigger meal. I try to just get a cheeseburger meal or something like that or I just eat like, 75% of my burger and fries and get a diet coke to make it fit.

To be honest I've been tempted to order a happy meal before and just pretend it's for my nonexistent child. Plus then I get a toy.
    I did that at Zaxbys once. I got the little two chicken fingers and some fries for the kids. Plus I got some animal crackers.

• Jayfeather15
    Options
    Do I have to count the dressing and condiments too?

ABSOLUTELY!!! You have to log every single drop of food you eat no matter what it is, how small it is, or anything. Every. Single. Drop. And I will say especially condiments. Ketchup has cals, and dipping sauces are even higher.
    Ugh I guess my choices weren't so good. I tried not to use the whole pack of dressing but it wasn't enough. Plus I got some ketchup for my fries.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    6 piece nuggets, regular fries with a pack of sweet and sour sauce and a Diet coke for 650 calories (in Canada).

Sounds good to me!
  • coolcoolman1980
    coolcoolman1980 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    If I do that it starts with just a chicken wrap. I then admit I like the fries...and its been awhile since I had a big Mac...oh what the heck give me the large fries.... I do much better packing a chicken salad sandwich and having a glass of water. The calories I save can go toward my beer and wine later.
    I wish the McDonald salad (& KFC zinger salad too) had the normal iceberg lettuce in it . Don't like the tree leave stuff
  • coolcoolman1980
    coolcoolman1980 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken wrap & swap the fries for the apple fruit bag is a good option if you have to get one
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »

I still eat at McDonalds sometimes but normally on a weekend when I sleep in passed breakfast or on a cardio day where I can afford to eat a bigger meal. I try to just get a cheeseburger meal or something like that or I just eat like, 75% of my burger and fries and get a diet coke to make it fit.

To be honest I've been tempted to order a happy meal before and just pretend it's for my nonexistent child. Plus then I get a toy.

I had a Wendy's kid's meal for lunch on Monday and gave the toy to my 13-year-old. He didn't want the toy either though :)
  • elpint0r
    elpint0r Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like their southwest salad with the fat free newmans own dressing. I think it's under 400cals and it's delish :)
  • Jayfeather15
    Options
    Grilled chicken wrap & swap the fries for the apple fruit bag is a good option if you have to get one
    I usually get the grilled ranch wrap and some fries and I'm good to go. One thing I've learned is that a double cheeseburger and either medium or small fries is enough to fill me up. You learn things like that when you try to save money.