Can't make sense of this label

Options
Zephrine
Zephrine Posts: 24 Member
It could just be me being incredibly thick lol

It's for sachet coffee. Label says a 16g serving (which is a sachet) is 302kj. Then it says "per 100ml as prepared" is 180kj. But the only thing you add to the sachet is 150ml hot water. So how is it that the prepared coffee has less calories than the dry sachet? Even if you add on an extra 50 ml to the "as prepared" that would still only be 270kj for basically the same thing.
Am I stupid? Does adding water make the calories lower? lol

c603emfcpns7.jpg

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Following because yeah, wth? I really wanna see who works this out and how.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Maybe if you eat the sachet contents there's more calories than when you just infuse it with water? :neutral: Is the 100ml prepared using the entire sachet or does one sachet make more than one 100ml serving? Otherwise, I've got nothin'!

ETA you already answered the 100ml serving question. Reading comprehension not so good today!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I would interpret that the calorie-containing ingredients aren't fully dissolving into the water. Some is remaining behind in the sachet.

ETA: Hang on - is that a sachet like a tea bag where you steep and remove or like a packet of hot cocoa that you dump in and dissolve? Because my comment only makes sense if it's the former.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    Oh wait, i get it. How many ml are you suposed to mix each packet into?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    Lol Guess I was late.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    A serving (16g of the mix with water) is intended to be more than 100 ml, so the "per 100 ml" (less than half a cup) is just required labelling (some places require that all nutrition labels have "per 100g" or "per 100ml" info for easy comparisons.

In practice, this would be preparing the mix as instructed (with closer to 175ml of water than 100ml, I'm guessing from the math) and then taking a 100ml portion of it for that second measurement.
  • Zephrine
    Options
    It's a sachet you empty into the cup. And you add 150mls of water to it. I know there's not a huge amount of difference calories wise, but it had me abit confused.
    peleroja wrote: »
    A serving (16g of the mix with water) is intended to be more than 100 ml, so the "per 100 ml" (less than half a cup) is just required labelling (some places require that all nutrition labels have "per 100g" or "per 100ml" info for easy comparisons.

In practice, this would be preparing the mix as instructed (with closer to 175ml of water than 100ml, I'm guessing from the math) and then taking a 100ml portion of it for that second measurement.

But the instructions say to use 150ml of water, not 175, so therefore they should be basing their amounts on "as prepared - 150mls water", not "as prepared - roughly whatever water you want to add to make it up.

The part that really confuses me though is that it shouldnt matter if you use 100mls of water, or 2 litres. The coffee sachet is still the same, however you dilute it. Isn't it?
    stealthq wrote: »
    I would interpret that the calorie-containing ingredients aren't fully dissolving into the water. Some is remaining behind in the sachet.

ETA: Hang on - is that a sachet like a tea bag where you steep and remove or like a packet of hot cocoa that you dump in and dissolve? Because my comment only makes sense if it's the former.

It did actually make me wonder if they are somehow allowing for some of the sachet residue to be left in the cup.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The problem is that "100 ml" isn't the same amount as "one serving". Which is stupid. If you make the whole sachet, it counts as the left column. If you make it, and then decide to only drink 100 ml, it's sort of the right... except I think you'd have to add 200 ml to get those numbers to work.
  • Zephrine
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    The problem is that "100 ml" isn't the same amount as "one serving". Which is stupid. If you make the whole sachet, it counts as the left column. If you make it, and then decide to only drink 100 ml, it's sort of the right... except I think you'd have to add 200 ml to get those numbers to work.

I know, right? I'm actually tempted to email them and ask how they came by those numbers. Mind you, they have the standard 'get out of jail free card' which is *All specified values are averages

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Zephrine wrote: »
    It's a sachet you empty into the cup. And you add 150mls of water to it. I know there's not a huge amount of difference calories wise, but it had me abit confused.

But the instructions say to use 150ml of water, not 175, so therefore they should be basing their amounts on "as prepared - 150mls water", not "as prepared - roughly whatever water you want to add to make it up.

The part that really confuses me though is that it shouldnt matter if you use 100mls of water, or 2 litres. The coffee sachet is still the same, however you dilute it. Isn't it?

It did actually make me wonder if they are somehow allowing for some of the sachet residue to be left in the cup.

Oh.

In that case, the difference is the added volume from the sachet. When you dissolve the sachet contents in 150mL of water, the final volume is going to be > 150mL. Based on the numbers, final drink volume should be ~168mL. 100mL of the mixed drink gets you the numbers in the second column.

Just use the numbers in the 1st column and you'll be good to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Zephrine wrote: »

150 ML are added to the sachet...the contents of the sachet combined with 150 ML of water would be around 170 ML...100 ML of the prepared beverage would be 180Kj
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I was so sure this was going to be about microwave popcorn ("can't make sense of this label").