Constant munchies!

Options
It feels like I am constantly fixated on food. I almost always want to be snacking on something. It almost makes me irritable when I am trying not to, I feel like a smoker who is quitting. When I get home, I want to be snacking on something until I go to bed. It's especially bad at my mom's house, (combination of the relaxation, overabundance of lots of delicious food I don't get elsewhere, and feelings left over from childhood that I have to eat my favorites, or my dad will eat them all before I get any). I've made a lot of progress in some ways, I used to drink 2 or more sodas a day, and quitting that was hard, I'd get really intense cravings whenever I heard someone open a can. Now I don't really crave it, and it doesn't even taste that good to me. I am thinking of getting myself some minty gum too keep both at home and work to keep my mouth busy, but I'm not sure if that's helping or fueling the habit. It's just frustrating. I can't get to my goal if I'm constantly stuffing my face!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Get a hobby. Stay busy. Plan/log your meals, prepare your meals, and set times to eat them - I find that helps get rid of the feeling of needing to constantly snack
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have hobbies, I get out of the house lots of times, but it's hardest to be productive when I am crabby, lol. It's also been really rainy here recently, that sure doesn't help. I also like to over taste when I'm cooking. Right now I am waiting until after I put my 6 year old to bed to have my last food and only desert of the day, a yogurt.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I like bulky and hard to eat foods. The other day I wanted something to nibble for a long time so i steamed an artichoke because it takes forever to eat and is delicious and low calorie.
    Also I tend to do my nails when want a snack because you can't eat with wet nails.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but you're not alone, I am the SAME. I am hungry ALL the time and want to eat constantly all day. If I ate as much as I wanted I'd eat 6000 cals easy, no lie. The minute I know I'm counting calories I get even HUNGRIER.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but you're not alone, I am the SAME. I am hungry ALL the time and want to eat constantly all day. If I ate as much as I wanted I'd eat 6000 cals easy, no lie. The minute I know I'm counting calories I get even HUNGRIER.

I wouldn't call mine hunger (although today it has been actual hunger for some reason), just cravings. I can go 24+ hours without eating and not have much actual hunger, but I have a lot of "mouth hunger".
  • szodyraa
    szodyraa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been going through the same thing this past month. I'm 68 lbs down and I'm still struggling with this. The best thing we can do is literally take it moment by moment and remember why we are doing what we are doing. And ask​ our selves if that bite is worth the guilt and the extra work we will have to put in to get rid of it....add me, would love to be a supporter
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    MimiOfTheFraserValley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm the same right now, too. Aaaarrgghh!! It's so frustrating to be constantly fixated on food!! :(
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think about food constantly. I sabotage myself with cookies at work. I chew gum like a cow to help stop it.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I think I'm gonna run to the store and get myself some minty gum at lunch today
  • Emmadafodillon
    Emmadafodillon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So I came on here to post this exact thing. I'm really struggling at the moment, I can eat three very healthy, good sized meals in a day with fruit to snack on but still really crave junk food. I go to my parent's once a week and spend the full evening eating junk. I know that it's no good, but can't seem to stop myself. I'm also hungry all of the time. I work out 6 days a week and feel as though I'm not seeing the benefits from it due to my insatiable appetite. Anyone else that bad?
  • ahaluska118
    ahaluska118 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry in the evening too. I would come home from work and reward myself with food.....even if I was cooking a healthy dinner. I started going to the local mall or shopping center after work for 1or 2 hours and window shop. This is keeping me away from eating....focusing on selfcare. Sometimes, l try on clothes and buy myself something. I'm trying to think about other things to do than eat and that loving myself doesn't mean stuffing my face. Trying on clothes and seeing myself in a full length mirror helps me to see what my bad eating habits and a 50 lb.weight gain have done to my body. Oh, and sometimes I get a manicure. o:) I know that, in time, that making better food choices, logging my meals and exercise will result in a fitter and slimmer me. Good luck.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I got myself a big packet of mint gum. Had my lunch and a sweet snack, now chomping on this. It's helping so far. I plan to put this into use at my mom's house this weekend. Once I'm done eating, I'll have a piece of mint gum so nothing tastes good, and my mouth is busy.
  • Ocean_Breezy
    Ocean_Breezy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Always. Have fruit on hand or some fresh veggies. Ditch the chocolate at work. Especially those people who have candy at their desk. Stay away!!!!
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I did buy some chocolate when I got gum, lol. One great thing about my work is that we have a snacks cabinet, which is an unlocked file cabinet, and we each have our own individual drawers, so I cannot see anyone else's snacks, and I can't see mine unless I go get. I keep the sweeter snacks behind the divider and my lunch in front, so I can't even see those when I don't pull the drawer out all the way.