How do you handle going over your calories?

Options
I definitely had a bad day today food wise. I went well over my calories, and didn't make the healthiest decisions. Panera Bread is my weakness and I caved. Today also happens to be my rest day, so I'm feeling a bit guilty. Any one else have days like this? I know I'm gonna pick right back up tomorrow at the gym and making healthier choices, but I can't help but worry this day will set me back.

Replies

• eoglevie
    eoglevie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same here. And then guilt hits and I go to the forums. And everything I read says to recognize what sent you back to the food and avoid those situations. Do you ever find yourself wondering right after you caved "did I really just do that? Why did I just do that?"
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It happens. Log it and move on to the next day. It's nothing to feel guilty over. You didn't do something wrong, you just ate more than you intended for one day
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    One word. One simple word.

"Meh."
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I log it and look at my weekly average. I'm usually not over by much when it averages out.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Drink water, sleep, wake up, start over.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The next two days I make sure to cut my calories to 1200 and exercise
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I used to feel soooooo guilty. Now that I've learned a little more (and still have plenty to learn) I just log it and keep on plodding away. Feeling guilty is NOT a healthy mindset when you're on a weight loss journey. From experience going way over my calories if it's every now and then it, does nothing in the long term. U got this :smile:
  • thebestyear2017
    thebestyear2017 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did this yesterday too, and woke up today in a less than positive mood. Reading this thread was much needed, it's a new dawn and a new day - moving onwards and upwards!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Look at the weekly average, if there's a calorie deficit overall you will still lose.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Recently I've learned not to worry about it. I used to think "well that's blown it" and go wild, or try to restrict even more. It doesn't work. Now I just have a maintenance day and try not to worry about it.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I just log it and move on. Some days, like yesterday, I see that I went slightly over for the day (like 60 calories) and it was a sedentary work day for me so no wiggle room. I decided to take my 8 year old out in the evening for a quick scooter ride to burn off some calories! So sometimes I will do extra activities when I'm a little over, but often I just let it go. I've been in maintenance since last year after losing 90 lbs.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Look at the weekly average, if there's a calorie deficit overall you will still lose.

This was going to be my suggestion as well - if you look at the week you will probably still be under
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    cardioxxbunnyxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to so super hard on myself.. then I went through a time period where I would really restrict myself... Like for instance, last night, I had a class, which conveniently is also in the same complex as a shopping center, I was so hungry, had a really light lunch and I gave in and got myself a nice, fat grilled cheese sandwich from Panera! I haven't had a grilled cheese in YEARS, and honestly, I told myself; I never eat this, I enjoyed it, and it wasn't going to be the end of the world. I'll workout again tomorrow and get back on a healthier track..

Sometimes restricting yourself all the time will lead to a decrease in your metabolism, (at least mine, I believe, has gotten like that over some time) - and giving your metabolism a little "Shock" every so often is actually a good thing.

• acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do this just about one day a week every week and it hasn't stopped me from losing. I guess I'd be down more if I hadn't, but, I don't think I could keep going if I didn't give myself a break once a week.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I have lots of days like these (I've been doing this for 13 months). I just ignore them.