Coffee ideas for sugar lovers

Options
jayv85
jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
If I could I probably would have my coffee with a ton of sugar. lol.

Right now I'm wasting about 70+ calories on just coffee every morning. I use a stevia packet and then coffee creamer (which is where my calories are coming from). Any good tasting alternatives?

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I usually have a little hot chocolate as creamer/sugar in my coffee. It's 72 calories altogether, but that is the whole of my breakfast most days. Some days I have mint tea with 2 tsp of sugar instead.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is a problem for me too! I have about 3 cups a day ( with sugar and half-and-half) and I realized I was at least spending 240 cal on those 3 cups. I decided I'd rather eat those calories than drink them! So I've been having my coffee black with an ounce of milk, hoping I'll get used to it. It is nice to be able to eat something instead :-)
  • JourneeAfter0704
    JourneeAfter0704 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use the flavored almond milk creamer and I don't use sugar with it . They have carmel and vanilla.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Two sugar in the raws and two tablespoons of half and half is 80 calories. That's worth it for me at 4:45 am.

Otherwise, I use cinnamon, cocoa powder, nutmeg. I use zero calorie flavor drops too..my favorite is toffee.

I also sometimes add a packet of lite hot chocolate. 25 calories.
  • cdgallagher943
    cdgallagher943 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just develop a taste for black coffee.....
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Or understand you're sacrificing calories to coffee. Because our work coffee is starbucks and even the light roast is burnt heinous I'll make my own creamer with almond milk and a flavored simple syrup.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper.

I mean, with that much stuff in it, you can't really claim you're in it for the coffee. ;)
  • peanutbuttertuesday
    peanutbuttertuesday Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Sugar free creamer is a thing. Personally I use a splash of sweetened almond milk. A whole cup is only 60 calories, so way less for maybe an ounce in your coffee.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just make room for it. I've tried to go to black coffee. I've tried giving it up. I've tried sugar free creamer (yuck!!). I like my coffee strong with flavored creamer. So I make room for one big cup a day. It's a treat. If I need energy the rest of the day I supplement with caffeine pills. I use genius caffeine because it's extended release.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I learned to drink black coffee b/c the little splashes of creamer (no matter how light) were adding up.

If you live in an area with high end coffee shops, try one. Go try a "pour over" with some really good quality beans. You'll taste much different flavors in the coffee (flavors you didn't even know coffee had). After doing that a few times it was enough to convince me I'd rather drink ALL my coffee black now.

I know it's not a great solution :(

Coffeemate makes sugar free creamer flavors that are like 20 cals for a servicing. There is a powdered version as well that's easier to measure out. The problem is.... it still adds up, if like me, you drink multiple cups a day. But... on the other hand I decided that extra 100-200 cals a day was better spent on solid food that satiated me. ymmv
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I make a Protein Latte and it fills me up for a bit while still providing some good macros so I eat less for breakfast.
    1 cup coffee (0 cals)
    1 tsp coconut oil (40 cals)
    1/2 - 1 scoop protein powder (I use Slimquick Pure Double Chocolate which is 60 cals for 10g protein)
    1-2 oz milk of choice (I use unsweetened almond milk) (10-20 cals)
    Give it a whirl in a blender and drink!

I know it isn't exactly what you asked for but I tried it black or with just almond milk and cinnamon and it just didn't make me very happy. This does and I am usually pretty happy after just one cup (in fact I think I've only ever had two in one day once since I started making it a couple months back).

I did try one other thing that worked ok - if you add the stevia it might work for you. Mix 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (good stuff!) and a dash of cinnamon with an ounce or 2 of milk then add coffee. Around 20 calories.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Do you have an aversion to artificial sweeteners? I typically take a flavored coffee with a couple packets of sweet n low.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use nonfat milk in mine, but I know not everyone likes that. You can also use nonfat evaporated milk or nonfat dried milk (powdered). Those won't dilute your coffee, and have fewer calories than most creamers. They also have some protein and calcium, which most creamers don't.

I use some stevia and one packet of Splenda. I don't like the taste of stevia alone. You can also add spices like cinnamon.
  • AuntKatieD
    AuntKatieD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a little coconut oil? Just a tsp or so with a little cinnamon gives a slight sweet with good calories.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Flavor extracts, cinnamon, artificial sweeteners, fat free half and half. All of these can be used to get flavored coffees/teas for fewer calories.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I usually drink my coffee black. I did recently make a protein coffee smoothie that worked out well. I blended a cup of cold strong black coffee, some ice and about 35 calories of vanilla protein powder. It was sweet enough for me.
  • paurkreiman
    paurkreiman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a black coffee drinker, but I often recommend simple iced coffee. Just coffee poured over ice, not any fancy sugar monstrosities from McCafe or whatever! It takes away a lot of the bitterness that a lot of people don't like about black coffee and try to cover up.
  • Ocean_Breezy
    Ocean_Breezy Posts: 55 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I had to make some real changes to my can't-do-without-it morning beverage.
    1 cup of black coffee (caffeinated, of course)
    1/4 cup of 2% milk
    1 tsp of sugar
    ....and that's as fancy as it gets. The artificial sweeteners and creamers went out the door. It took me a while to get used to the change, but changes need to happen if we want to get better.

Add me as a friend.
  • noraann1995
    noraann1995 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use a little of premier protein as creamer inside of my coffee,but it does have at least one gram of sugar.
  • mpr2083
    mpr2083 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just use flavored coffee creamer, no added sweeteners. I like Amaretto and I just bought a coconut cream (really good). Both creamers are only 35 cals per serving.

Be careful when adding coconut OIL to ur coffee. I did that, so did my sis and we got to know our toilets really well. ;)