applebees "under 550"

Options
ratkins811
ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
I am going out to dinner tonight and have done my research to determine which restaurant will give me the most healthy choices and have decided it is applebees. Has anyone tried any of their WW or "under 550" menu selections. Just wondering if they are as good as they look or just great photos. lol.. :smile:

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The chicken dijon one is around 470 calories and very good!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Applebees' under 550 menu items are DELISH! The sodium is a killer tho so just drink lots of water.
  • crysthom
    crysthom Posts: 27
    Options
    I love the asiago peppercorn steak. HOWEVER, all of their "Under 550" meals are LOADED with sodium! One dish even has over 2000 mg in it alone!
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I have tired all the ones that aren't seafood related and they are great and filling. Enjoy!
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i always get the sirloin with broccoli and mashed potatoes. I usually can't eat the whole thing, or try not to, but it is around that 550 mark and super yummy. I love applebees.
  • guyonthego
    guyonthego Posts: 23
    Options
    Just went there yesterday for a lunch meeting and had the steak and garlic shrip 550 calories and it was awesome!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I liked the asiago steak, and the WW steak salad. Both were yummy. Applebees is one of the easiest places to eat healthy. I've been happy with their lower calorie menu itms so far.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love the asiago peppercorn steak. HOWEVER, all of their "Under 550" meals are LOADED with sodium! One dish even has over 2000 mg in it alone!

Exactly, it's not that 'healthy'. I get more out of the Sizzler salad bar then Applebee's or Chilli's.
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Their Asiago Peppercorn Steak is fabulous! Love, love, love this when I am not in the mood to cook. MFP puts the calories at 390. Yum!
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    Very good! I had the Asiago Steak last weekend and it was great!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    The only one I DON'T care for is the pasta..the steak and shrimp, or asiago chees steak oare to die for! The Dijon chicken is good too. Their ceasar salad only has something like 80-90 calories.

All restaurant foods - fast and sit down are loaded with sodium. So drink plenty of water!

Enjoy!
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the grilled shrimp and island rice. 370 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. Again... sodium way high at 1990mg, but just drink a crap ton of water!
  • sherdenise
    sherdenise Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love applebees but prefer to just save calories and eat smaller portions of the regular menu items because of the sodium. I cannot tolerate foods loaded with sodium and I can taste it immediately in the <550 items. I assume they load up on the sodium to mask the lack of flavor otherwise?
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I love applebees but prefer to just save calories and eat smaller portions of the regular menu items because of the sodium. I cannot tolerate foods loaded with sodium and I can taste it immediately in the <550 items. I assume they load up on the sodium to mask the lack of flavor otherwise?

Most everything served in restaurants is loaded with sodium, reduced calorie or no.

It's just the way it is, unfortunately.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have their shrimp and island rice every time I go and it's amazing!!!!! It's actually one of my favorite places to eat because of this meal!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    The Under 550 choices are decent, but way too salty for me.

Last time I was there I ordered the California Shrimp Salad HALF size with the dressing on the side, and only used about a third of the dressing. Right around 400 calories and 900 mg sodium. Not ideal, but not bad, and it was pretty tasty.
  • Sirchunx
    Sirchunx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to do my weekly bar nights with the boys at Applbee's. The transition from drinking loads of beer & pigging out to drinking loads of water and eating healthy was made a ton easier by the 550 menu. I personally do the peppercorn steak with double the broccoli and no potatoes and then order a side of grilled shrimp (between 100 -200 cals depending who u ask). Delicious, especially if you like pepper.
  • nikkidee1983
    Options
    I haven't tried them but I will warn that their grilled chicken ceasar salad is over 800 calories. Who would have thought one salad could be so damaging when all that's on it is grilled chicken lettuce and dressing.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I went to Applebees for the first time in YEARS yesterday. I had the shrimp with rice. It wasn't bad, but I am watching my carbs so I didn't eat all the rice.