Post Work Out Snacks

Options
I need ideas for post workout snacks ideas aside from smoothies/shakes (not convenient) or protein bars (outside my budget). I want something that relatively small to pack, is not expensive (I work out 4 to 5 times per week), high protein, and has some carbs. Ideally, under 250 cals.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on rice cake. I'm not sure what you mean by "convenient", but it seems you could get it in your budget and the pb does have protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'd just wait until my next meal... For most people there's no reason to eat immediately post workout for l
  • kimdoucet
    kimdoucet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Depending on ones goals eating a post workout snack is great. If looking to build muscle then having a protein snack would be optimal within the anabolic window of opportunity .

If you went hard on your workout a good carb and protein mix is good. Plain Greek yogurt and fruit if you can manage it, a naked tuna wrap or turkey wrap works as well. (Super quick to pack and bring along). PB doesn't have sufficient protein to be beneficial. Additionally I'd avoid taking fat and protein together after workout if building muscle is the goal as fat can slows down the absorption of protein.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    kimdoucet wrote: »
    Depending on ones goals eating a post workout snack is great. If looking to build muscle then having a protein snack would be optimal within the anabolic window of opportunity .

If you went hard on your workout a good carb and protein mix is good. Plain Greek yogurt and fruit if you can manage it, a naked tuna wrap or turkey wrap works as well. (Super quick to pack and bring r along). PB doesn't have sufficient protein to be beneficial. Additionally I'd avoid taking fat and protein together after workout if building muscle is the goal as fat can slows down the absorption of protein.

The anabolic window is basically whenever you have your next meal.

Avoid fat and protein? Wut?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any thing until my normal next meal time.

If you feel you need to then maybe take a banana with you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sandwich filled with the meat or fish of your choice?

Is there any particular reason you want a post workout snack? (You don't really need to.)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Glass of water for me, im usually thirsty and no more than a couple of hours away from my next meal
  • CarnivoreNextDoor
    CarnivoreNextDoor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My goal is to build muscle.
  • kimdoucet
    kimdoucet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

If you went hard on your workout a good carb and protein mix is good. Plain Greek yogurt and fruit if you can manage it, a naked tuna wrap or turkey wrap works as well. (Super quick to pack and bring r along). PB doesn't have sufficient protein to be beneficial. Additionally I'd avoid taking fat and protein together after workout if building muscle is the goal as fat can slows down the absorption of protein.

Sure his/her anabolic window could be at his next meal that could be in 2-3 hrs from the workout and then he/she wouldn't need a snack. But it could also be 6 hours from then or longer so it would all depend on when that is.

Also if read carefully, no one said avoid fat and protein. I said avoid eating them together/at the same time (simultaneously) post workout for the previously mentioned reason above.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    a piece or two of deli meat wrapped around a cheese stick
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Sure his/her anabolic window could be at his next meal that could be in 2-3 hrs from the workout and then he/she wouldn't need a snack. But it could also be 6 hours from then or longer so it would all depend on when that is.

Also if read carefully, no one said avoid fat and protein. I said avoid eating them together/at the same time (simultaneously) post workout for the previously mentioned reason above.

The majority of people do not need to worry about nutrient timing or avoiding fat and protein . It really is not going to make much of a difference unless you are a highly trained athlete......us regular joes are fine.

I like what Alan Aragon says....

Now for my final point - I can see how our findings would frustrate folks who have spent a good deal of time teaching or emphasizing the anabolic window concept. But hopefully you can see how precise timing relative to training is far more of a thin layer of icing on the cake rather than the cake itself, which is total daily macronutrition. This should be good news for folks who value more convenience and flexibility.

xjhrfpt36dcr.png
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    i have one and i eat it for dinner a lot but its good and does have carbs and under 250. all you need is one cup cheerios or multi cheerios ( which ever you would rather have) and a Walmart great value light yogurt, their are a few different flavors of yogurt and i do use great value cheerios and multi grain so if you use those you will end up with 200 calories if you do the multi cheerios but if you use the plain you get 210. if you use the real cheerios you will end up with 180 for the plain or if you do multi you will have 190... but its not bad for a snack and if you mix the yogurt and cheerios together it taste really good.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk is pretty cheap and convenient. I also like apples with peanut butter (and granola sometimes), turkey bacon and a hard boiled egg, a yogurt with some fruit, some unsalted mixed nuts, just be creative :)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'll often eat a homemade protein bar that's similar in ingredients and macros to a Quest bar, alongside some kind of low-calorie drink for hydration and maybe some grapes or other fruit.