Meal Planning - yay or nay?

Options
Feeling like proper meal planning will go a long way toward my success. Problem is, I have no idea where to start with it.

Did meal planning work for you when trying to lose weight? Can someone help me learn?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Not sure what you mean...how do you cook and grocery shop if you don't plan your meals?

IDK...my wife and I alternate cooking nights...on the weekend we decide what we're going to prepare for the week, including our breakfasts and lunches, dinners, and snacks...we figure out what we need that we don't have and go grocery shopping on Sunday.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I always buy similar things with a few variations. I prelog my day to stay within allotted calories but I'm good at making similar macro'd substitutions if I need or want to.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just start with one meal at a time. Protein - that's the macro I'm most concerned with so I build around that. I also want fiber - which is veggies, fruit & whole grains, so those are typically sides.

Breakfast protein ideas: eggs, Greek yogurt, sausage. I make egg McMuffins ahead - bake 9 eggs + 9 egg whites in a 9x9 pan. Cut into squares and freeze (ziplock baggies) with Canadian bacon. The night before I pack my breakfast & lunch, I put eggs in fridge to thaw. In the a.m. I toast a high fiber English muffin, warm the egg & add a slice of 2% cheese.

With Greek yogurt I add fruit, Fiber One cereal and chopped nuts (for fat).

I'm not super organized, but I don't like getting stuck with fast food when I haven't thought about lunch for work. Your ideas don't need to be traditional. Any food can be breakfast food.

Build some freezer meals......or helpers. On Sunday I grill (or crockpot) a bunch of chicken breast, portion out & freeze. That way lunch can be salad, sandwiches, tacos, etc.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm rarely home most days (straight from work to gym or run then to dancing). I prepare food in bulk.

For instance:

Breakfast: Weigh and layer granola†, greek yogurt, jam into a bunck of smaller plastic containers.
    (†simple Granola= turn oven to 300-something; put a bit of honey, oil, vanilla, salt in a bowl (not a lot); stir/whip; pour in a bunch of oats; mix/churn with your hands; dump onto cookie sheet; bake ~15-25-ish minutes.)

Lunch/Dinner: weigh out portions of a vegetable side(s)‡, a meat item‡, possibly a starch item to pad out calories into an entree-sized container. Or a batch of rice and beans with vegetables.
    ‡ easy vegetable side - dump some frozen vegetables onto cookie sheet/pan, drizzle with some oil, sprinkle on some minced garlic (available in bottles) and/or chopped onion and some parmesan cheese (available ready to use in plastic shaker bottles).
    ‡ easy meat item - Carve a ready-made rotisserie chicken (a lot of supermarkets have these super cheap).- will yield 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2-3 breast 'cutlets' with skin, another 2 'cutlets' with a sliver of skin (top each of these with a wing in the container to keep it from drying out when re-heating), along with a mound of chicken pieces pulled off the bone in various spots (will go well in soup or rice and beans).

Dinner/Lunch: Soup (and bread/crackers). Make a large batch of soup. In crockpot, throw in some dried beans and a bunch of water..let cook 1 day/night; next session- add a bunch of vegetables (chopped root vegetables, frozen veggies, canned veggies - pretty much whatever) and optionally some meat (chopped ham or sausage, bits of chicken, etc). (weigh everything). Weigh batch when done. Store in fridge and weigh out whenever you eat it or pre-portion into containers. optionally, add some more meat if low on protein for the day. (My freezer door currently contains large baggies with bits of rotisserie chicken, diced chorizo, diced ham).
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Feeling like proper meal planning will go a long way toward my success. Problem is, I have no idea where to start with it.

Did meal planning work for you when trying to lose weight? Can someone help me learn?

Meal planning was a way of life long before I needed to lose weight. How do you know what to buy at the grocery store if you don't plan your meals?

I write up a menu on Monday, shop on Tuesday, and cook all week.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually start with my pantry and supermarket sales circular. The better you plan the cheaper healthy eating is. During the week I plan on dinners that reheat well so I can have them as lunch the next day. I don't cook too far ahead but I like to wash and chop as much as I can on Sunday to make the week go smoother.
  • rebeccamcdonald214
    rebeccamcdonald214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

Meal planning was a way of life long before I needed to lose weight. How do you know what to buy at the grocery store if you don't plan your meals?

Meal planning has never been part of our lives. We buy our meat in bulk, once a month, and basically top up other items as the month goes on. Most meals are "this will taste good with this!"
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I find it easier if all of my lunches are packed in the fridge come Monday morning. It prevents me from going out or grabbing something that doesn't fit my goals.

I typically make a large batch of chicken/ground turkey and veggies and portion them out for my lunches. Dinners are always planned Monday on my lunch break, and then I shop after work and get exactly what I need. I've also saved money doing it that way.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

Meal planning has never been part of our lives. We buy our meat in bulk, once a month, and basically top up other items as the month goes on. Most meals are "this will taste good with this!"

Then I would start by taking stock of what you have on hand and building meals from that. Say you have a tri-tip in the freezer, add a vegetable or two. Do that for the whole week, buy what you need to fill in the holes, and you're set.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do my meal planning right before going grocery shopping. I start with dinner for the week. I go through my refrigerator/cabinets/freezer first to see what easy meals pop out at me. For instance if I have pasta and spaghetti sauce so all I need is some meat or veggies to go in it, then hey lookie here, one night will be spaghetti!!! If there's 2 lbs of chicken breast hanging out in the freezer, maybe BBQ chicken one night. I track mine on a chalkboard that is on the kitchen wall, but you can track it any way you like. So, once the easy meals are chalked in, then I start thinking about what is left in terms of days and items. I usually have at least one dinner each of vegetarian, beef, pork, chicken, eggs and then mix in some soup or salad or pasta days. So, depending on what is already on the board and what is left, I'll think about things to add in. I make the grocery list as I go along - as a general rule I try to buy exactly what I need for the week unless I have extra grocery money and find an awesome sale, then I will stock up on staple items. Once dinner is done then I start thinking about lunches...are there big dinner items that will likely be leftover, like a roast or big pot of soup? If not there's always salad or sandwiches, and those items can be added to the grocery list. Breakfast is coffee, so that's an easy one. I usually only spend about 15 min. planning it all out, but it may take longer in the beginning. And if I have something that is just sitting in the cabinet (like that giant bag of plain oatmeal) then I'll start looking for recipes and planning how to use that up before it sits around any longer (like stovetop chocolate oatmeal cookies).
  • Premed100
    Premed100 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, meal planning works. It makes you think about what you are going to eat. It helps ensure you have proper meals to hand instead of just grabbing quick & handy stuff that you cannot be sure of the contents. As someone else said, start small, start with the meal that causes the most overeating, possibly lunches for work.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I meal prep for lunches as I generally eat the same thing for breakfast. If you buy for the month, then you have a lot of options of things to prepare. If you google "meal prep month" there are several sights that come up, some have better recipes than other (for losing weight) but it will help you get an idea of the process at least.

For me, I prep for a week (or more, depends on how much protein I have). I cook a pan (or two) of chicken thighs, cook a bunch of vegetables (I dislike cooking vegetables, no idea why - I buy the plain steamfresh bags) and then bust out the scale and the Rubbermaid containers and go to town portioning everything out. The first few days go in the fridge, the rest in the freezer. I use a sauce or somesuch on the protein (every now and again I switch to hamburger), and lots of spices on the vegetables to keep it from being bland and boring and to mix things up.

For more than one of you, or depending on your tastes, you may want to mix it up and create several dishes to mix and match and depend on how you decide to prep (one person containers, big pan o' something to share, etc).

Edit: Meal prep has helped me with losing weight because I just have to grab something from the freezer, throw some bbq sauce on the chicken and I'm good to go. If I don't take lunch my takeout choices are limited and high calorie (Jack in the Box, Arby's, etc - and I will get the fries, ugh).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely yay. Not really anything to do with weight loss though. Failing to plan is planning to fail! For those who had to ask: Shopping, cooking and eating is messy, stressful, expensive and generally miserable without a plan.

Your plan should be a tool to help you get from A to B: Start with what you have and what you want. What do you have in fridge, freezer and pantry? Take stock. What do you want to eat? Think about what you like, and play around with your food diary to see how you can eat to hit your nutritional goals. How are your cooking skills and facilities? How is your work and social schedule? When can you go shopping and when can you cook? Plot in meals as detailed and for as far ahead as useful. Browse through flyers, look up recipes, write a list of what you need to buy. Then bring list to the store, and follow it. Then cook, eat, prosper, and repeat.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I plan the menu and then load the recipes into MFP using the search by URL feature so that the day of I am ready to go. I usually make up some steel cut oats, smoothie bags, overnight oats, fruit bowls, veggie bags and have everything properly weighed, measured, and marked for easy logging.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Only after being on this journey for over a year have I started eating back a carefully calculated portion of my exercise calories. To get that right, I have to plan ahead both the food and the exercise. Then, now that I've seen the food my exercise earns, I want to do the exercise to actually earn the food.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love meal planning and it's how I survive dieting . It's also how I plan my groceries for the week, which keeps me from overspending.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I guess I am going to get yelled at about this but I don't really pre plan stuff. I have no patience or desire to make stuff and write out plans.
    I have no problems finding stuff to eat without making a federal case out of the process. Granted, my wife just eats tiny little meals and has no planned schedule ( she's a post bariatric patient and eats when and what she wants) so I have no one cooking for me or relying on me preparing for them. Rather than stressing out and making an issue of meal preparation, I have a list of items I really like and look forward to eating.
    Items like chicken are the only things I will cut up and cook in advance. I'll do a few pieces and use them in salads or in a stir fry.
    I will regularly do pasta, pita pizza, broccoli, salads, burgers ( no buns), stir fry, steak-um sandwich, etc. all easy items that do the trick.
    Breakfast does not need to be a ordeal with a sink load of dishes either...a bowl of cereal is ok too, read the box usually a brown 3/4 a cup with milk is in the 200 cal range. I have no issue with Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies or other reasonable cereals.
    Since I do the shopping, I know what I want and what we're low on.

I also enjoy ( and here comes the venom) frozen dinners. C'mon, for 350 calories I can have chicken parm with a side of pasta and veggies.
    OK so maybe it's not home made but Stouffers stuff is pretty decent food. I can have a big hunk of Lasgna for 300 calories, add a side salad and some broccoli and I got a huge meal for under 500. There are tons of great frozen meals so don't discount those options and there all reasonably
    priced, taste good, huge variety and virtually no clean up.

So just because your going to log foods and follow a new program there is no iron clad reason that you HAVE to preplan every meal.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been meal planning for years because of a tight budget. It may make it easier to log because I know what I will be eating in advance. I prelog my food for the day every morning.
    I just make a list of dinners for the week and cross them out as we have them. Lunch and breakfast I have 3 or 4 items I regularly might have.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Yes it works. I started out to save money on eating out, but it certainly works for dieting.

Start out small because it can be overwhelming and you can end up with a lot of waste.

Pick out 2-3 recipes/meals for the week. Write your shopping list from those recipes. As you get the hang of it you can do more.

I've learned a lot over the years. Generally, I cook about 6 meals/recipes a week. I leave one day for leftovers. We pretty much eat the same for breakfast and lunches so those items go on the shopping list every week.

I shop sales and coupons, so I plan my meals around what I've stocked in the freezer/pantry. I keep a running inventory list on my computer of what's in my freezers and pantry so nothing ends up being a mystery or expired.

When money was tight I learned to stretch leftovers into new meals. So roast a chicken Monday, chicken enchiladas on Tuesday, chicken noodle soup on Wednesday.

There are so many tips for meal planning. I think the best ones are found on budget/money saving websites.