why am I under 1200 calories ?

Options
I try not to eat under 1200 calories but lately I have been monitoring my eating habits with fitness pal and discover I have been eating less calories than I should. I really don't know how long or why. I guess it does have to do with the fact that am poor. It bothers me a lot because they say I need at least 1200 calories a day

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Where are you located? I'm on the app and can't tell.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having issues with not enough food due to money. In a lot of countries there is food assistance available from the government, and churches have food banks.

Here is a good recent thread on how to live on $13.30 for three days' food:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10532393/13-30-for-three-days-of-food/p1
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    That #13.30 thread turned interesting, which is how I had hoped when it started. :smile:

There are also many websites online for those who need to keep the budget low - just keep in mind they aren't necessarily low calorie, so use the recipe builder in MFP to play around with ingredients!
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking that you're eating under 1200 calories? Oftentimes the labels tend to under-estimate actual calories. Are you trying to lose weight? What's your current weight? Height? Calorie goal?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Since you have access to the Internet, I'm guessing that you still fall in to the top 10% of the world population in terms of wealth. A 25 pound bag of rice has enough calories in it for you to eat 1,200 calories for two weeks and it could cost you as little as $2 per day. Obviously, you want to eat other stuff besides rice, but there are several similar food items that can provide you with plenty of calories for not much money.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Since you have access to the Internet, I'm guessing that you still fall in to the top 10% of the world population in terms of wealth.

I work in a public library. Even the homeless and penniless have access to computers and the internet there.