Anyone eating less thn 1200 cal a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eggs, meat, fish, rice you can combine them with lots of green veggies and some freshly squeezed fruit. Eat what makes you feel good not what you deem 'healthy' that feels like chewing a cardboard.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You can, but it is not recommended.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If I didn't do any exercise and wanted to lose weight faster than a pound every couple of months I'd have to eat less than 1200.

HOWEVER

if you are not under 5 foot and not close to your goal weight it is really unhealthy to eat this little. It is also a challenge to meet all of your nutritional needs. You really can't afford any treats and meet all of your nutritional requirements. This is why I exercise.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I ate under 1200 kcal for six months and it seemed to be OK for me; but I had to be VERY careful about making sure my diet was balanced, and there was as others have said no wiggle-room for treats.

I was also very sedentary for injury reasons.

However, my body is now giving me very clear signals that I can't do that anymore (fatigue and more fatigue!) so I'm listening and eating more. 1200 kcal is definitely not a long-term approach, and for most it won't even work short term.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have been eating less than 1200....and I'm so disappointed. I'm always going in my fridge asking myself "what can I eat?" Most of the time I'm eating fruit, and veg. A lot of it, but it's still not a lot of calories. I need to go to the store and buy some calorie dense food so I'm not scrambling at the end of the night.
    I'm not advocating eating under it. I'm mad at myself for not reaching it lately. I promised myself this will change by this next week.

Nuts or nut butter might work for you. Or meat, eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt

I am going to get some nut butters for sure. I LOVE nut butters. Funny thing about cheese (I have plenty of it in my house) when I eat it to get those extra calories, even if I'm not really hungry...it makes me ravenous.

I'll probably hit 2000 calories today because, it's my nephew's birthday.....and I'm having pizza and cake. Since my days have been under 1200 lately, I don't even care. I'm eating those calories back lol.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1,250 calories a day but I am sometimes a little bit under or over!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I don't believe any adult who is not in a coma should eat below 1200 calories a day.

Well,that's not quite correct - under 1200 could be suitable for very short women, those with dwarfism or double amputees or petite women in nursing homes who are extremely sedentary.
    Or obese people on medically supervised VLCD's

However, presuming OP does not fit into any such category, then,No, don't do it OP

Put your stats in to MFP and accurately eat how many calories it tells you to.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    briohne128 wrote: »
    I aim for 1,250 calories a day but I am sometimes a little bit under or over!

Being under sometimes is fine. Some people do this in a planned way with intermittent fasting.

The thing is to have your average intake at about the right level - not neccesarily every individual day

• lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 1200-1300 every day. Seems to work for me. I wouldn't want to go under. I've been down that path before with disastrous results.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200, but I don't upset if I fall between 1200-1500 per day. I try not to dip too much into exercise calories because most of the "exercise" is just me walking in place at my desk and I feel the number of calories burned is a bit inflated. I'm losing at an average of 1-2 lbs a week, however it's definitely not linear (I will lose sometimes 2-5lbs in about 7-10 days, then go up 1-2lbs, hover in that range for 7-10 days, rinse and repeat)

Some days I can meet that goal without an issue, and sometimes be a bit under. Other times I am completely starving and will eat what I need to satisfy my hunger because I know the more I try and put it off, the more I will be tempted to go overboard.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ????

Yes, my goal is under 1200 a day. I'm pretty in tune with how my body works, and about 1100 works best for me to lose at a not-too-fast rate. Don't care to argue with anyone here about it either. Already been there done that.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    ????

Yes, my goal is under 1200 a day. I'm pretty in tune with how my body works, and about 1100 works best for me to lose at a not-too-fast rate. Don't care to argue with anyone here about it either. Already been there done that.

There are people here who will flip their lids over statements like this. Some of them will tell you to just eat straight up peanut butter on a spoon just to meet their magic number.

Why that is seen as good advice, I do not know.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ????

There are people here who will flip their lids over statements like this. Some of them will tell you to just eat straight up peanut butter on a spoon just to meet their magic number.

Why that is seen as good advice, I do not know.

See, that is THEIR magic number though. It's not mine. I know this. Been tracking my own numbers far too long. I'm an expert on me, but I don't claim to be an expert on anyone else. :)

FWIW, I often eat peanut butter on a spoon. I love it! (I weigh the jar before and after - took years to figure that out...DUH.)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Alex
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.