Demotivated by the scales.

Options
I am now about 2 weeks into calorie tracking using IIFYM and my usual 4x cardio strength workouts. So demotivated that I am gaining weight. I am averaging 1600-1800 calories a day and expending 2100-2400 daily. I don't think I can ramp up the exercise any more and I am tracking every morsel. I know weight loss isn't linear but I would have like to see a couple of lbs loss by now :(

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Water weight fluctuations can mask weight loss, so sodium intake, muscle repair after exercise, time of month can be factors on the short term.

For logging, if you are not using a food scale, you might want to consider that. Be sure you are using accurate entries. It you are adding calories back from exercise, be conservative with your estimates.

Give it a few more weeks. Two weeks is too short a time to judge how effective your plan is
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose for the first 3 weeks. Then the fourth week- down 4 pounds. It can be so frustrating but give it some time.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Water retention or stored eaten food on your system was the main cause of your gain how can a individual gain some weight in deficit? Not really, try to weigh yourself early in the morning before breakfast and after going to a bathroom without clothes if possible. Good luck don't loose hope weight loss is not linear mentioned above! Try your best and you can see a good progress after a while
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yup same boat. Had a baby 6 months ago and have only lost 4 lbs since I got cleared at 8 week postpartum. I was logging and weighing. Cardio 3-4x week. I lost 4 pounds the first week and nothing the rest. I slacked off bc I not gaining or losing. It's frustrating but I starting back today. Not giving up. I will have pre baby body back
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Sleep. All that stuff about 'cardio' and 'strength' is incidental.

OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but staying hydrated enough for all your body's metabolic activities to proceed efficiently and spending time asleep so that all those metabolic activities can be performed most efficiently tends to get overlooked by folks focusing on the sweaty things of weight loss.
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Everyone else is right, drinking water is definitely key. The more you drink, the less likely your body is to retain water as it's getting constant rehydration. Not only does it help with the weight loss, it completely flushes out your system, reduces bloating and helps clear up your skin!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you were making changes prior to starting mfp you won't have the initial water loss showing up either and for some of us TOM makes a huge difference. As mentioned above not all mfp food entries are accurate, and if you're not using a scale for solids it's easy to mis judge. Remember the time will pass anyway, do you want to use it to work on getting closer to your goal, or be that much further away?
  • theledger5
    theledger5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    What does "4x cardio strength workouts" mean?

Also, if you're only 2 weeks in, that's why. When you start, there's typically a ton of water retention. Especially if you're strength training.

Sorry- a mixture of cardio intense classes with some strength work- for example I do a dance fitness class, a boxing/cardio class, another dance class, boxfit, kettle bells and do resistance training at home. I've been doing this for about 8 weeks now but only calorie tracking my food for 2. I don't think I have water retention as I've been exercising a while now so my body is used to it.

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    When you say you are gaining, do mean like 1-2 pounds or 10-15?
  • theledger5
    theledger5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    When you say you are gaining, do mean like 1-2 pounds or 10-15?

I've gained 2lb this week and overall 7lb since starting exercise in Jan! I look more toned but I am still overweight at 5"8 and 14stone! I got down to 11 with slimming world and piled it all back again. It used to work for me and now it doesn't so even tracking macros and calories instead and upping the exercise. I am so much fitter now but the scale number is seriously depressing.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As other posters said don't get frustrated. Weight loss is not linear and there's a female it may come off differently than as a male would depending on the time of month. Also my only other suggestion is when you say you're tracking every morsel of food does that mean you're accurately weighing it using a scale or are you just guesstimating what you're eating. Don't get frustrated 2 weeks is nothing in this