How do you count calories burnt

Options
Hi All,

I am new to this group.Its been six weeks since I started working out 3 days/week at gym and 1-2 days at home.I log all my food, eat very healthy food, eat a cheat meal once a week (I try to be careful with my food choices), drink 100 oz of water,80-90 gms of protein (Being vegetarian no eggs either choices are hard) wear fitbit.I have only lost 7 pounds
(lost 4 pounds first week).Its very discouraging.I also know my metabolic rate is very slow.Even though I have lost 3 percent body.

My questions for all you wonderful people is I do I log the calories burnt (food in vs food out).Its getting frustrating and discouraging.Need some tips on what could be going wrong?

Thank you all in advance,
Nomisha

Replies

• Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You're still losing an average of over a pound a week, which is great. Relax.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Are you asking how to track the calories burned through exercise? Or the total amount of calories you burn in a day?

MFP is based off of a NEAT system. When you entered your stats, and selected an activity level, it estimates the calories it thinks you burn, without exercise. Then based on the rate of loss you selected, MFP subtracts a set amount of calories from its original estimate, and that is your calorie target to achieve your weight loss goals.

When you exercise, since that wasn't included in the original estimate, you should be logging that and eating back some of those calories, so that you are NETTING the goal that MFP provides you.

If you share those stats:
    Height
    Weight
    Goal Weight
    Activity Level Selected
    Rate of Loss Selected
    Calorie Target set by MFP

That would be helpful for people to give you more specific advice.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    its always a guestimate...your losing at a good rate so your doing fine. adjust based on results, Just don lower calories eaten by to much. PReferale to add in a walk a day or something to burn more if your unhappy
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds like nothing is going wrong as you are losing weight at a sensible pace.

Adjust your expectations.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    How do you know your metabolic rate is slow? (Did you have testing done? Which test?)
    Most people *think* they have poor metabolism, but they don't.
  • nomisha2014
    nomisha2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Everyone thank you for your replies.yes I have got my Metabolic rate tested.
  • nomisha2014
    Options
    Height -5'2
    Weight-148
    Goal weight-120
    Activity level-medium
    Rate of loss-( would like to loose 2 pounds:week)
    Calorie target-consume 1200
    (Does this make sense)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Height -5'2
    Weight-148
    Goal weight-120
    Activity level-medium
    (Does this make sense)

Yes but with only 25 or so lbs to lose, a rate of 0.5 to 1 lb/ week is more appropriate.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Height -5'2
    Weight-148
    Goal weight-120
    Activity level-medium
    (Does this make sense)

With those stats it would be impossible for you to lose two pounds a week. To lose two pounds a week, you'd have to create a daily deficit of 1,000 calories. You simply are not tall enough nor do you weigh enough for your body to generate that energy to subtract that deficit from and still have a decent caloric level of intake to survive.

In other words? Adjust your expectations.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Height -5'2
    Weight-148
    Goal weight-120
    Activity level-medium
    (Does this make sense)

Not really realistic given your stats.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal weight (such as only 25 to 30 lbs perhaps) the slower it will come off. It is your expectation that is overestimated. You can expect to lose .5 to 1 lbs per week by doing everything right and maintaining a bit of a calorie deficit. I still have more than that to lose and eat 100% cleanly and more calories than 1200 per day and consistently lose 2 lbs per week.
    It took me realising that I had to actually eat MORE to lose more. If I eat under 1300 calories the scale does not move, especially if you work out at all. When you work out 1200 calories per day is not enough and is too low of a net deficit each day.
    Everyone had a "sweet spot" that works for them, you just need to find yours. It took me about 2 months so be patient and don't be rushed. It is the patience and persistence that will win this, not trying too hard to lose fast, that will always fail you in this journey.
  • hlblakeley
    hlblakeley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just to give you some perspective, I am 5'4", 214 lbs, and have about 80ish lbs to get to my goal. MFP sets my calories at 1200 if I tell it I want to loose 2 lbs a week, but that is actually only about 1.7 lbs a week worth of a deficit because 1200 is the lowest MFP will use. So I choose to set it at 1.5 which gives me about 120 extra calories a day, and is only a .2% less weight loss per week. Sometimes you just have to look at the big picture. It may take a little longer to get to your goal, but you will get there if you keep working.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't. I use my observed TDEE to know roughly what my average maintenance is. A solid month of accurate data is really all you need to know what your burns are,
  • nomisha2014
    Options
    Thank you so much !
  • nomisha2014
    Options
    So if I change my rate of weight loss from 2 pound to one pound my calorie intake would increase .Should I try doing that or continue with 1200 calorie
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So if I change my rate of weight loss from 2 pound to one pound my calorie intake would increase .Should I try doing that or continue with 1200 calorie

That's your choice. If you are comfortable eating 1200 and exercising then accurately logging exercise calories and eating some portion of those calories additionally to your 1200, continue doing that. If you find yourself unable to avoid hangry binges at 1200 etc, then adjust your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week and raise your calorie budget to ~1700. It won't be exactly 1700 calories, but would be calculated as your (NEAT - 500).
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely change your rate of loss to a lower, more sustainable number. I have mine set to lose .5 a week. It has been a slow process, but I've lost over 70 lbs this way in the last 2 years, and very rarely am I hungry. I don't feel deprived, as I still eat all the things I love (specially ice cream!).
  • nomisha2014
    Options
    Wow that's amazing congrats on your weight loss.
  • nomisha2014
    Options
    I am not even able to consume all 1200 calories sometimes,I am not getting hungry at all.Its definitely sustainable.
    The bottom line is I need to be patient and hope for positive result