How do I get more fiber in my diet?

Options
I have been struggling to get forms of fiber in my diet, all I have done is eating wheetabix in the morning

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Lots of delicious vegetables.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    In addition to the things mentioned above, you could always pick up some psyllium powder to supplement with. I end up using about 12g in my protein shakes on my lower cal days.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds!!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Opt for only whole wheat bread and pastas, add lots of different veggies to your meals. Eat a small handful of nuts. Add cooked legumes or beans to salads and soups. Chia seeds are fabulous sprinkled on yogurt! Eat fresh fruits when you want sweets. Seriously, fiber is easy to add to your diet and the best thing is it fills you up!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Raspberries have a surprisingly high amount and a pint of them is so low in cals not to mention delicious!
  • sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love a good large salad with cabbage. Yum!!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I usually hit between 20 and 25g with my normal food choices, but add a supplement if I think I'm going to end up short. My diary is open, if you're looking for ideas.

Whole grain breads, rice, and pasta
    Fruit and veg
    Nuts

If you aren't clear on what specific foods contains fiber, Google can help.
  • erevans
    erevans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, black beans, corn tortillas, and fresh fruits and veggies are staples of my diet that seem to get me to my fiber goals.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I noted that my veggie intake was lacking. I like veggies, but I seemed to be eating moslty wheat & other grains. I found that replacing a whole meal was the most effective way of increasing my veggies. I choose lunch. Instead of a sandwich, I switched to salads as the main course. Mostly Romaine lettuce based, but sometimes bean salads or broccoli salads. I got very creative. My dinner leftovers went into the salad. Say I had BBQ sandwich for dinner. I put the meat & BBQ sauce on lettuce the next day, making sure the lettuce was the primary bulk of my lunch. Same is true of salmon, steak, crab cakes, burritos, meatloaf, roast chicken etc. This is how I kept just a salad, which I used to consider BORING, interesting. Sometimes I make my dinner side dish larger to use it as the primary bulk of my lunch. I'd add meat or cheese & other veggies to keep it interesting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get plenty from vegetables, fruit, some whole grains. On days when I eat legumes I always am way over my goal, so maybe add in some legumes.
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I require high fiber so I add beans (garbanzo's, pinto, kidney, black beans) to my salads, use low calorie high fiber cereals for breakfast (such as Kashie brand), have a high fiber (8 grams), low calorie (100) light english muffin for breakfast with an egg, and eat a Fiber One Oats & Peanut Butter Bar (9 grams fiber-140 calories) for a snack. Also be sure to eat 3 fruits a day (berries have high fiber) and high fiber veggies such as asparagus.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I got 61g of Fibre yesterday.

Breakfast- Quest bar 12g F + 2g from Almond milk.

Lunch- Smoothie with psyllium husk powder added 18g F

Dinner- High Fibre pasta and black beans in my tuna mornay 11g F

Snack- 700g of fruit, cantaloupe and watermelon, which only contributed a piddly 5g

Dessert- Icecream, Halo top mixed with no sugar added vanilla ice cream 13g F

If i was a good girl and ate more veggies, the fibre would have gone through the roof!

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fruit and veg

Plus grains and legumes. Nuts. Seeds.
    Pretty much any whole foods from plants, or not-whole plant foods that have kept the fibrous parts, like bran.

ETA:yesterday I got 48 g fiber without supplements or any special "high-fiber" products

Breakfast: 1 pouch instant "original" Cream of Wheat hot cereal (1 g fiber) topped with one "cup" packaged pineapple in coconut-flavored syrup (1 g) (total, 2 g fiber)

Lunch: a brown rice (7 g -- they give you a massive amount of rice I estimate at 2 cups) bowl from the bibimbap/noodle shop near my office, topped with roasted seaweed (1 g), grilled tofu (4 g), peanuts (1 g), and shredded carrots (1 g). (total, 14 g fiber)

Dinner: I was starving when I got home, so I started with something that didn't need much prep, a banana (3 g) dipped in a mixture of almond butter (3 g) and a small amount of partially defatted peanut flour (it's something like PB2, but it doesn't have sugar, b/c I don't like the taste of extra sugar in my peanut butter) (1 g). Then I moved on to a massive (volume) salad of escarole (2 g), a whole avocado (10 g), and two tangerines/mandarins (4 g). Then I polished off a three-ounce bag of lentil crisps (like potato chips/crisps, but made from lentils) (6 g). Total, 29 g.

Evening snack: a 100-calorie bag of microwave popcorn (3 g).

Total for day, 48 g.

It's not a usual day, since I'm doing vegan Fridays for Lent, and about the only things I consumed that didn't contribute to my fiber count were black coffee, the sesame oil on my rice bowl, and a splash of champagne vinegar on my salad. Two weeks ago I hit 51 g of fiber on a vegan Friday. More typically I'm somewhere between the low 20s and low 30s.
  • JodiRoss71
    JodiRoss71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can always supplement with metamucil. I use to put it in one of my water bottles. But now I tend to eat a multi-grain light English muffins. I eat one for breakfast, there are just 100 calories and 8 grams of fiber. You can also buy fiber one bars and snacks. If you eat a sandwich at lunch time, I eat double fiber bread. I think it's made by nature valley. Then I also eat alot of Lima beans, broccoli, asparagus, etc. Avacados and hummus has alot of fiber as well. You just have to adjust your diet and get in the habit. Fiber is good for you but also makes you feel Fuller so you eat less and maintain your calories. Just be careful with the hummus, guacamole, Lima beans, they tend to have high calories.
  • Ocean_Breezy
    Ocean_Breezy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning and I have a good portion of veggies on a daily basis.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn and all kinds of beans.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Millie4195 wrote: »
    I have been struggling to get forms of fiber in my diet, all I have done is eating wheetabix in the morning

Since your diary isn't open, how much are you currently getting and from what sources?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Green vegetables, fruit, whole, intact grains. That's all I do. When I travel, where we all know it's a challenge to eat according to plan, I just try to hit a fiber minimum. Works well.