Knowing and Doing Gap

Options
Here is what I know: I feel great after I get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep (bed around 9:00 up around 5:00), I know I feel more energized when I eat right and exercise, I know that I am mentally prepared and ready for the day when I spend time reading good things in the morning (Bible, Brendon Burchard, etc.), I know that as the week goes on, these things get harder, I know that I am not going to be perfect and to not let one bad day send me down a path of "destruction", I know (fill in the blank)....

With that said, I find myself towards the end of each week falling away from a good start and feeling frustrated come Saturday and Sunday. By Sunday I am talking myself up to having a good week and the cycle begins again.

My question to all of you: What do you do to help close the Knowing-Doing Gap? Those things that keep you consistently (not perfectly) on track towards your goals...on track every day to keep doing the little things/making the right choices etc. Looking to incorporate new strategies and thinking to implement.

Thanks!

Replies

• viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. The best thing I can offer is knowing that every moment is another chance to make it right, and keep going.
  • lrb142014
    lrb142014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. For myself, something that really helped keep me on track is journaling, separate from MFP. I have a weight loss journal I keep that includes daily, weekly and monthly goals. I've included different things that motivate me such as pictures of my previous self (at my heaviest). At the end of my day I take a few minutes to update my daily progress. Examples include meeting exercise goal, caloric intake, water intake, MFP food diary, and gratitude journaling.

I also have other supporters that help keep me accountable:) but the journalling really helped me get started. I actually enjoyed inputting everything and looked forward to the end of day, week, monthly progressions. Of course everyone is different and needs to find what works for them. Hope you find your motivator and find a method to keep you on track! All the best on your journey.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    I try to keep things as simple as possible. If I'm struggling to do something at a certain time each day, maybe that's not the time for me to do it. Maybe there's a better time that will work for me.

One of the reasons I was able to lose my weight was because my eating became 'background noise' and I was able to carry on with life without much focus on the food.

So instead of trying to force yourself into what you think would be the ideal situation, adjust the situation. Find a new ideal.