1 pound a week & 60 min a day workout (CLOSED)

Options
Hello there!

This are the challenge participants:

1- niebla
2- jennahiggins
3 - lval82
4 - brenott
5 - soonermommy3
6 - Evercia
7 - mksidhu1976
8 - onehecticmom
9 - jamielr84
10 - peariel
11 - acarter86
12 - aLatz13
13 - vjhanson5
14 - WenMyr
15 - CoCoMa
16 - NicLiving
17 - smahaney1
18 - Alacey88
19 - PSUgrl921
20 - Alisonbank

Let's remember the challenge:

- Duration: 4 weeks starting Monday 25 th of July and ending 22nd of August.
- Weigh in every Monday
- Exercise 60 min a day
- Drop 1 pound a week
- Let's remember as well to behave healthily please. By that I mean things like eating proper amounts (no less than 1200 cal/day) and exercising without overdoing it.

We could start by introducing ourselves, saying what we are from and things like that.

I also encourage you to add each other as friends.

I want to also say that even though I started the group I am by no means the only person who can suggest what we can discuss, or do, please feel free to contribute!

This is a group that is all about motivation and support, not competition or judgement.

Let's start!

Veronica

Replies

• niebla
    niebla Posts: 71
    Options
    OK, a bit about myself:

My name is Veronica, I am 37 and I am a Spanish artist.
    I lived in the UK for 10 years and I miss it, I changed living in London for living in the countryside in the South of Spain , an area called Las Alpujarras in Granada, Andalucia. I live in a house in the mountains, with lots of land and a swimming pool, very few neighbours and virtually no passers by. It is very beautiful although it can get a bit lonely. I live with my partner and 2 dogs.

I enjoy working on my photography and making films.

I have a vegetable plot with lots of veg I started from scratch, I water it everyday.

I also enjoy reading, watching films, swimming, hanging out with friends, going places and going for walks and many other things :)

For exercise I go for walks with the dogs, I jog and I swim.

This is what I put on my profile:

About Me
    I am an artist living in the Spanish countryside with my partner and dogs.

I grow my own veg

I have been vegan for 16 years, for ethical reasons

Always struggling with food and body image since childhood, I use food to confort me and to get rid of anxiety.

I was surprised to find out how much difference exercising makes. I am doing 60 min a day of exercise (swimming, running, walking). This way I can eat properly and have all the foods I like without being hungry. I hate so much the feeling of hunger!!

It is important for me to focus on getting fit, more than in losing weight. I think is much healthier psychologically so I won't start obsessing about food and my body shape.

Starting Weight - 153
    Current Weight - 151
    Goal Weight - 121
    Goal BMI - 23.8

Short term goal (15thAugust) - 117

Why I Want To Get In Shape
    To feel better and to be healthy

My Inspirations
    Remembering how great it feels to be in shape, physically and mentally
    Remembering the photos from when I was thiner
  • mksidhu1976
    mksidhu1976 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Veronica for starting this thread!

A bit about me...

I am 35 years old and I live in South of England in a village (south of Winchester).

I've always been a bit on the large side since I was in my early 20s and had consoled myself to a weight of 147lbs

After joining my current company (pharmaceuticals) my weight ballooned to 168lbs due to alot of travelling and eating out (part of the job)

There commenced my weight loss plan about 3 years ago and I shifted 28lbs in a year - I then started a part-time MBA - and as you can imagine, this led to a weight gain again - due to the lack of time to exercise.

Getting back onto the weight loss program I settled at a weight of 64.5kg (or 142lbs)

I finished my MBA a few weeks ago and have now signed up to complete the Great South Run in October - 10 miles... for this I need to train... I can now run ~5km (from a starting point in May of not being able to run at all) and need to increase this

I've just come back from a 9 day holiday in Miami and need to get back on the fitness plan.

I enjoy reading, watching movies, enjoying running (never thought I'd say that), dancing and spending time with my family and friends

CW: 64.8 kg (142.9 lbs)
    GW: 61.8 kg (136 lbs)
    BMI: 21.9
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Jenna, I'm 33. I am a work at home, married mom of 3. (I have 4, but one has lived with his grandparents for so long that I don't feel it's my right to call him mine). I have always been overweight, but in the past 5 years I have become obese. I have some medical issues and the medication that I had to be put on made me the heaviest I have ever been. I have been off all medication for the past 12 weeks (minus a migraine med) and have been managing okay up until this past week. The heat has been horrible and had put my body into a downward spiral. So please bare with me until we find a happy medium with it.

I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, that I must be able to control for another year on my own, without medication, before my doctor will, for lack of a better word, undiagnose me with it. I have fibromyalgia, seasonal affective disorder, IBS, arthritis, and severe migraines. Oh, and some moderate to severe vitamin deficiencies.

I started hitting the gym and watching what I eat 12 weeks ago and have been able to stay off all of my medication, minus my migraine meds. So although it has been a long journey, it has felt great! This week has been hard, being in my first real fibro flare up without medication because of stress and the excessive heat here in Ohio.... I haven't been able to work out for 3 days because of one thing or another and I can really feel it. I did buy a Yoga DVD though and I am hoping that will help me on these days that I hurt to move.

My Inspirations, I can't just pick one.... if my eyes are open, I have inspirations all around me.

I look forward to being part of this group and talking to you all.

SW: 280
    CW: 262
    1st GW :180 (then I will decide if I want to be smaller)
  • Evercia
    Evercia Posts: 13
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

I would have posted sooner but I didn't know where the thread was.

My Name is Valerie and I'm a 25 (26 next Tuesday) Law Student from New Jersey. I'm single and I started all this because I want to feel better about myself and about my body; getting a date would not be the worst thing ever either. I've being on this site for a little over a week and have found it really helps me track exactly what I am putting into my body.

I was in decent shape when I was in High School but all the fast food and junk that I ate in college and during my first two years of Law School have helped me pack on the pounds. I have a substantial amount of weight to lose but hope to lose 10-20 pounds before I go to Las Vegas in October. I'm lucky to have not developed any medical issues as a result of all the weight I've put on but better to start working on it now than to wait for a problem to develop.

I HATE having my picture taken but I will see if i can get one up on the site.

Hope you all have a good day!!
    -Valerie

Height 5'10"
    SW: 220
    CW:220
    GW (In time for graduation in May): 185
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hello all.

My name is Jennifer. I am married, mother of 3 (13,8 & 3) and I run an in home daycare. I turn 34 this August and I live in Iowa. We moved here almost 4 years ago with my company, but then decided to stay home and do daycare once my son was born. We lived in Colorado before and I was born in Texas.

My husband and I are ex military, so we use to be in shape, my av weight then was 140. Since getting out & having kids I find it harder to stay in shape. I have done several diets in the past. It would work and then I would get pregnant again. MFP journey officially started May 23 (hubby set up my profile beginning of the year, but I wasn't ready) I hit 186lbs & put my foot down... no more.

I have a Kidney disease so really need to watch my sodium levels. This is a challenge as well as drinking enough water. I do find I feel better now that I am losing weight & inches. My kidneys don't hurt my back as much, and I don't get as much heartburn as before. My disease causes cysts to grow on and throughout my kidneys, making them quite large... 3 times their normal size currently. My goal is to be as lean & fit as possible so that as they continue to grow, I don't look 9 months pregnant. My mom also had this disease & she looked pregnant for quite some time. They ended up removing 1 kidney because they were so large. She had dropped from a size 14 to a size 8 just from that. Her removed kidney was about the size of a footbal, just for some perspective. Imagine having 2 footballs in your belly.

Unfortunately, the disease took my mom at an early age, only 54... and her mom at 54 before that as well. I hope to do anything & everything I can to be as healthy as possible. I don't know if it will help at all, but it's worth the chance. I hope to see my kids grown with their own families. I hope to be around for longer if possible.

SW 186
    CW 172.6
    GW 135

Best of luck to everyone. Feel free to friend me as well. LOVE this site. I am on daily & really love the motivation I can give & receive.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Howdy Everyone!!

My name is Felicia, I'm married with a 20yr old and a 15yr old, both girls. I live in Southern Cali, and work in biopharmaceuticals.
    I'm originally from Louisiana (born in New Orleans, grew up in Lafayette).

My hobbies include playing/recording/singing music (my hubby was a recording artist), growing my own foods (veggies and fruits), and volunteering at my local LGBT center.

My health has been an issue for a while, but especially after being diagnosed with type II diabetes about five years ago. Both my parents are diabetics (dad type 1, and mom type II).
    When it comes to exercise, I tend to make excuses, which is why I really need this challenge. Who can’t spear 60min out of a day??
    My hub is very supportive, and he is more physically active than me, so he’s pleased to have his gym buddy back! I also ride my bike at a nearby lake (it's only 7 miles, but I can push further). I also have all of the Wii exercise “games” that my daughter and I like to compete in!!

Other people's success inspires me, so I look forward to sharing that with the group!!

SW: 205
    CW: 205
    STG: 180
    LTG: 140
  • aLatz13
    aLatz13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hi everyone!

My name is Ashley. I'm 21 years old and a mechanical engineering student. I've never been considered over weight, but when my BMI started pushing the upper boundary of the "healthy" range I knew I needed to start cutting back. I've also never had a great body image so finally taking control about getting my weight down was a big help. In high school I played soccer and lacrosse, so my over-consumption of calories was not apparent until I started college. It wasnt until joining MFP that I realized just how excessive my portions of food had been and have been working on shrinking my stomach and training myself to eat standard portion sizes. I've been doing MFP for about 6 months now and have lost 14 pounds so far.

SW: 146
    CW: 132 (what I weighed at my hs graduation!)
    GW: 125

Since I dont play sports like I did in hs i figure it's ok to weigh less because I wont have those bulky sports muscles anymore. I'm also 5'5"
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 year old, IS Major ( information System) from the Biggest Little City in Nevada.... Reno, Nv. I'm currently go to University of Nevada- Reno for school and work in Accounts Recievable at IGT while I'm planning to do a dual major in IS and Accounting. I have always have an issues with my weight as I'm overweight and my lilttle bro is underweight.... I would LOVE to give my little bro my unwanted weight.... lol.

If you want to get to know me better please feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:

~A
  • niebla
    Options
    Great introductions! I am loving reading them all.

I am sad to hear some of you have medical problems :( Well, it is good that you are working on losing weight nonetheless so you'll be healthier and feel better inside and out.

Hey! We are doing something great and we should feel good with ourselves for doing it!

Keep the intros coming!
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Jamie. I will be 27 tomorrow! I am married and have 3 little ones (age 5, 3 & 2), oldest and youngest are girls and the middle one is a boy. I have them to thank for my weight gains! Jk...i know its my own fault! I gained 70lbs with my first pregnancy, didn't lose much of it before I got pregnant again, then i repeated that with my third one. So there I was at 263lbs and my youngest was a year and a half old. I decided with the way I was eating and not moving, I was either going to keep getting fatter, or I had to make drastic changes in my life.
    I joined MFP in January and it was one of the best decisions ever! I have lost 44lbs, finished the couch to 5k program, and feel so much better about myself! I am no where close to my goal yet, but I know its reachable! I am in week 4 of P90X and I still run about 3X a week. I have hit some what of a plateau though and have only lost one pound in a month. So I am hoping this challenge gets the scale moving again!
    I am looking forward to getting to know each of you better. Good luck to everyone!
  • smahaney1
    smahaney1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thanks Veronica for starting this challenge. It really provides so much motivation for everyone and it's fun to meet new people all around the world.

My name is Sharon. I'm 47, married and a mother of 2 (19 y/o daughter and 17 y/o son). I work as a paralegal and live in Arizona. My least 2 favorite months of the year: July and August :(

I was very thin growing up but, just like Jamie, I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancies and didn't lose much of it afterward. I'm a little over 5'7" and when my husband and I first met, I weighed 125. Last year, I hit my highest at 250 lbs. I had gained an entire person! I was also diagnosed with diabetes.

The weight has really bothered me physically and mentally making me a very unhappy person. Who knew that all I had to do was exercise and eat properly!

I have a trip planned in September with my 2 sister to go to Maui. I'm really excited and looking forward to it.

My husband and I go to the gym 5 - 6 days a week. He is very supportive and I couldn't have done this with him.

Good luck everyone with the challenge.
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

I'm Nicole, 22, and a college student studying Human Development and Family Studies with minors in Psychology and English. I was an average weight most of my life but started putting on the weight when I got to college, starting eating unhealthy, especially after drinking and stopped dancing. I'm currently in training for a 5k which is a ways again but I'm a horrible runner so I had to start early! lol. I want to be in a healthy lifestyle routine by the time I graduate and have to live on my own. Hopefully if that comes second nature, I won't have to focus on it as much while I'm just getting my footing in the real world.

Can't wait to start!

CW: 155
    GW (for now): 140 (150 by the end of this challenge)

I don't have a specific end goal weight. I plan on seeing how I feel when I get to 140 and going from there!

Nicole
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Brenda and I live in Colorado. I just turned 43 and work for a finance company (which means lots of stress and lots of sitting). I have been with my boyfriend for 15 years and we have three wonderful furry four-legged kids (Basset Hounds).

All of my family is fairly healthy and average weight, but I've been overweight my entire adulthood.

After the trauma of suddenly losing my father to a heart attack while we were all camping in the mountains, I let grief take over and hit an all time high weight of 323. It was the gift of a plane ticket that freaked me out, and mortified that I might have to buy a second plane ticket, I started doing Weight Watchers online. I lost at total of 123 lbs. I was able to break below 200 lbs for ONE day, but since then I slowly gained 30lbs.

Part of that weight gain was the new Weight Watcher Points Plus program. I lost 125 lbs on the old Weight Watchers program. They converted to the Points Plus program, and I gained weight almost immediately. The old way worked well for me, but you no longer can access that info online.

The other problem has to do with running. I started running last year and I love it. However, my hunger patterns has changed. I seem to no longer have control of my self control. And as I've gained weight, my running has suffered and my times have slowed.

I have a sister who is a marathon runner, and she has decided I need to run a half marathon. I just wanted to increase my times on 5k's.

I'm running another 5k tomorrow morning (July 23) - wish me luck!!!!
  • niebla
    Options
    Hello everyone! (We are all women by the way)

Thanks again to all for your intros, it is good that we all know each other a bit better. I appreciate the sincerity even though some of the things are quite personal and hard.

Keep them coming!

What about if each of us posts about what type of exercise we are planning next week?

My workout consists of a combination of the following:

Swimming (My personal favourite!. I have an outdoor swimming pool and it is summertime!)
    Jogging (love it, I live in the mountains so I jog going up and down a mountain looking at the views)
    Walking (witn my rescue greyhound and podenco)
    Aerobics (at home, with a DVD)

What about you?
    Remember we will really try to do 60 mins exercise everyday.
    Let's focus on the positives about exercising, and it is good if we find ways to exercise we can actually enjoy.

We starting Monday! The day after tomorrow!
  • niebla
    Options
    Today I would like to propose a little change:

As the most important thing about exercising for weight loss is the calorie burn, and some of us might not be able to do 60 minutes a day exercise,

There are then these possible goals:

- 60 min exercise a day
    - 350 calories burned a day

Choose the one that suits you best.

Each day we can answer on the thread the following:

- What type of exercise did I do today?
    - For how long?
    - How many calories did I burn?
    - How was it? any difficulties? What did I like about today's workout?
    - Did I stay within the net calorie intake limits recommended by MyFitnessPal?
    - How did it go generally? Did I learn anything?

Apart from those questions, on Monday we can reply to these:

- Did I lose 1 pound?
    - How did the week go?
    - Any difficulties?
    - What did I do right?
    - What can I learn from this? Have I learnt anything this week?

The idea is that we can share our experiences and if we run into difficulties we can give each other support. Support is very important, so please let's make an effort and give each other plenty of encouragement and support!

Feel free to suggest any other questions.

Finally I want to write down the weigh in days (there are all Mondays):

25th July FIRST DAY
    1st August
    8th August
    15th August
    22nd August FINAL DAY

I think it is best to weigh yourself in the morning, before breakfast, naked or on your underwear

I am so excited about this challenge! I'll be fitter and lighter by the end of it!

X
  • niebla
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMIE! HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!!
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies.

I enrolled in Kosama. It is a total body transformation class here in Iowa. It uses Kickboxing, kettlebells, upper/ lower body, core work, plyometrics (guessing a fancy word for aerobics) circuit & yoga. It is 6 days a week, 1 hr each class. I started last monday & just finished my first week. I missed Kickboxing due to a massive sinus headache, but the rest of the week was good. I plan on doing this as well as walking to reach my 60 minutes a day.

I find it frustrating that I didn't gain this weight all overnight. However, now that I am eating healthy, all it takes is 1 or 2 days of eating the way I use to (not even binging, but just eating 1 or 2 meals like I use to) and I gain weight. Last friday I was at 170.4. I ate good sat until dinner when we went out to dinner & I splurged a little. Then Sunday I was good except for lunch. I even walked 100 minutes... and I still gained almost 5 pounds & still have not lost it all.

I feel like my body is a safe keeping a secret locked inside. I hope to learn my body's combination to weight loss success.
  • smahaney1
    smahaney1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Jamie and good luck on the 5k Brenda!
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Nichole and I live in Michigan. The state with only two seasons: hot or cold! I am the mother of two teenagers and I just turned the big 4-Oh. I joined mfp because I wanted to lose 40 lbs by the time I turned 40. I didn't quit make it so I had to re-evaluate my goals. I decided that if I lose a pound a week for the entire year that I could lose a whooping 50+ lbs.
    This group is just right for me...no competition. Just a lot of support & motivation. Hey we didn't get to this weight over night. I understand it's going to take some time and I am commited to doing it the right way...slow and steady!
  • niebla
    Options
    Let's not forget we are starting tomorrow Monday!!!!!!!!!!!

First thing: I weigh it , let's see where we are starting from.
    Then we can plan the exercise for the day and make sure we can fit in 60 minutes.

Have a nice one

Veronica