Help my hamstrings, please!

Options
Because of the tilt of my hips, my hamstrings tend to be pulled tight if I'm not doing regular yoga/stretching. Now that I'm working out in addition to that, it seems my hamstrings are even tighter and limiting my range of motion. I do stretch after working out! Anyone else have this issue? Or a suggestion?

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    If your hamstrings are pulled tight, wouldn't stretching them exacerbate the problem? I would see a PT for this. Make sure you actually have a pelvic tilt (I'm guessing anterior if your hamstrings are tight). And then you can follow the right protocol to fix the problem. There is a line of thinking that you should NOT stretch the hamstrings if you have an anterior pelvic tilt.

• runfiremamarun
    runfiremamarun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ClubSilencio speaks true. An anterior tilt, too much sway in the low back, means your hamstrings are already long and they need to be strengthened, the quadriceps need to be stretched and lengthened. Strengthen the abdominal muscles as well. A posterior tilt, think Erckle of the 80's comedy or no lordotic curve in the low back, means the hamstrings are to tight and need length, the quads need strengthening as would the back. A PT is a good idea but I would also suggest a massage therapist knowledgeable in structural massage or at least one who really knows their stuff.
    Good luck!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Jeff Cavaliere has a good video about this. He's definitely one of my go to guys for staying injury and pain free. He is a physical therapist as well as a trainer so he knows his stuff.

https://youtu.be/u1sfPfsESDQ
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Because of the tilt of my hips, my hamstrings tend to be pulled tight if I'm not doing regular yoga/stretching.

i don't have answers, but just in case clarifying this point helps you to get some . . .

do you mean that the tilt is causing the tightness in your hamstrings? i.e. with anterior tilt (duck-butt), your sitz bones are higher than they should be so the hamstrings have to reach further.

if that's so then [i'm no expert] it seems to me like stretching them would just be enabling the tilt.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Get a PT and maybe a foam roller
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Actually lengthening a muscle is very difficult. You would be better off foam rolling the muscle to loosen it, and then working on your hips, so your hamstrings aren't pulled so tight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm working out in addition to that, it seems my hamstrings are even tighter and limiting my range of motion. I do stretch after working out!

That's not often enough. The effects of stretching don't last long, so it needs to be done every hour or 2 to get a lasting effect. Here's a very simple ham stretch you can do anywhere:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ykOlGxeEnr0
    Hold it a minimum of 20 seconds, preferably 30+, and use a reminder app to repeat hourly. Post an update next week. :+1: