Does anyone do Mediterranean Diet

Options
How hard is it to change over to that life style. Does it work? How hard to Shop for it and Is it hard to stay on?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It is mostly lean meats and vegetables with grains. It's pretty darn easy. Do you like to cook?
  • leninut11
    leninut11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Love to cook thanks for the reply
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Me too!
  • leninut11
    Options
    i am new at this...is this the right way to reply? have you lost weight on this diet?
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    I have lost weight by eating in a calorie deficit. I eat mostly healthy but I also eat whatever I want with in reason. As long as my don't eat too many calories and make sure I fuel my workouts, everything is good for me.
  • leninut11
    Options
    i really like fitness pal
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A healthy lifestyle is easy to stick to because it feels good (instantly) and makes you feel good (continuously). It's not that difficult to eat healthily: Eat enough of everything you need each day, but not too much over time. Eat food you like in synch with your own rythm, your work, family, social life.

"The Mediterranean Diet" is basically a fad. It's a parody and perverted. Noone in the Mediterranean eats like that. The Mediterranean is a large region with a lot of different local food traditions, and each family has their own version. The Mediterranean Diet is restrictive and may be hard to stick to outside the region where the recommended foods are easily available.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's a good option. It steers you toward healthier fats, and whole grains. It's not a low carb diet, but if you keep within your calories, it will be as effective as anything else, and nutritious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's not really a lifestyle or specific way to eat, but has some general principles that are healthy and can be adopted easily. For example, I tend to use olive oil as my main fat, eat lots of vegetables, whole grains and legumes, use meat more as an accent than the main dish, include a lot of fish and seafood. I also like to eat from whole foods (if you like to cook that's probably what you do too) and as seasonally as possible, and the last means that my diet is different in a number of ways from the Mediterranean, since what's local and in season is usually different (I'm in Chicago).
  • Letsplayoutside
    Letsplayoutside Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try to follow the Mediterranean "diet" (gosh, there should be a better name for this - "lifestyle" sounds rather odd too ...).
    I have high cholesterol - so choosing healthy fats (olive oil), eating fish much more often than meat, making vats of homemade soups, pulses and whole grains, works for me. And I'm lucky enough to actually adore fruits and most veggies.
    However, I make the whole world's cuisines with these simple healthy ingredients. Today's dinner was Thai Tom Yum soup, tomorrow's is an ottolenghi salad with chickpeas and mangos and spinach.
    My go-to snack is air popped popcorn with olive oil and garlic salt.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I follow some of the principles of the Mediterranean diet to help my high cholesterol (it's normal now). But I'm a vegetarian, so no meat or fish.

My main fat that doesn't come from dairy is olive oil, and I eat a lot of vegetables, legumes, whole grains, and fruit. With a few exceptions, I mostly cook everything I eat from whole foods.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,075 Member
    Options
    Webmd.com has a lot of helpful information (explanation, suggestions) about the Mediterranean "diet". :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hoopla (the public library app) in my town has "The mediterranean Prescription" book (By Dr. Angelo Acquista), which explains traditional mediterranean style eating pretty well. The basic principles can help one make some healthy changes. The original South Beach Diet (not the one Nutrisystems launched recently) was based primarily on the Mediterranean "diet".
    My own eating patterns borrow heavily from it: lots of vegetables, my grains are always whole grain, lean proteins, usually fish or legumes....nuts and seeds.... fruit...