Has anyone had success with eating half of their calories back?

Options
2»

Replies

• gabriellax92
    gabriellax92 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    I have had success with eating about 80-90% of my (Fitbit synced) calories back.

What concerns me is that you are saying 1,200 calories isn't working for you. You have to be more specific than that.

Is it not working for you because you are losing weight but you are massively hungry all the time? Yes, eat some/most/all of you exercise calories back, that's exactly what you should be doing.

However, if you by any chance meant that 1,200 calories wasn't working for you because you were not losing any weight, then we need more information before we can give you any useful advice, but the most likely starting point would be to take a careful look at your calorie counting and logging. At 255 pounds you should be losing significant amounts of weight at 1,200 calories, and you could almost certainly still be losing while eating significantly more.

Unfortunately I'm not losing a significant amount of weight. I had hoped to. My logging hasn't been perfect, but even so I think I should have lost more then I have by now.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes! 33 pounds gone eating 75-100% back. The best thing about doing this is that I am not tempted to binge. I could never stick to a diet before I started doing this.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating half, you should figure out how many calories your exercise is actually burning and eat all of your exercise calories so your deficit remains constant.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Down 45 lbs and now eating back half my exercise. (I will admit that when I first started, I didn't, but 1) my initial calorie allotment from MFP was 1710 and 2) my exercise was mostly 30-60 minutes walking at a leisurely pace 6 days a week, a bit over 2 hours on the seventh, as I'm about 60 minutes each way from where I do my grocery shopping. At first, I was just using them as a cushion because it's one thing to tell me "You will lose weight if you are in a deficit, even if you eat high-calorie foods" and another to recognize it as fact. The first couple of weeks, I needed to see for myself that having pasta for supper four nights a week and a cookie for dessert one day weren't going to impede weight loss and I thought having a little more room would stop me from stressing. I also wasn't hungry on 1710.)

Over the last 5 months, as the weight has come off, MFP has cut my calories to 1470 and I've upped my exercise to minimum 60 minutes of walking or 50 minutes on a fitness glider, plus resistance training with fitness tubes every other day. Sometimes I do a short walk and the glider, though that's rare and generally when I need to run an errand, not just for the heck of it. Bottom line, I need those fitness calories!
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am down 106 lbs ... (lost some before finding MFP) I am eating back usually 50% of my exercise calories to account for over-estimates from the app/machines, etc. but if I am hungry I eat them all because I work out hard. And my weight has been a steady downward trend (not linear, remember!) ... 1lb/week at first and now .5lbs a week as I get closer to goal and have adjusted my deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    When I was eating around 1200 calories a day I wasn't seeing any weight loss. No I wasn't binging. And yes, some days I don't always complete my diary. I'm not perfect. Here's what I was doing.
    My calories were set around 1200, I ate at or around, most of the time I went over 1200 by a couple hundred calories. According to MFP synced with my Fitbit, I was burning between 800-1000 calories a day. I was not eating anything of those burned calories back. This week I have upped my calorie intake according to MFP recommendation (as I did override it before). I am going to start eating back at least 50% or my calories burned. I am also going to start logging more accurately with my food scale(as I was a bit lazy before). I've lost about a pound within the past week, even having a bad day food wise so I'm starting to see improvement just increasing my calories. Thanks for all of your feedback :)

At 255 pounds, it's impossible to not lose weight while eating @1400 calories, let alone plus burning 800-1000 calories from exercise. Try weighing and logging scrupulously for a month and prepare to be astounded.
    I have had success with eating about 80-90% of my (Fitbit synced) calories back.

What concerns me is that you are saying 1,200 calories isn't working for you. You have to be more specific than that.

Is it not working for you because you are losing weight but you are massively hungry all the time? Yes, eat some/most/all of you exercise calories back, that's exactly what you should be doing.

However, if you by any chance meant that 1,200 calories wasn't working for you because you were not losing any weight, then we need more information before we can give you any useful advice, but the most likely starting point would be to take a careful look at your calorie counting and logging. At 255 pounds you should be losing significant amounts of weight at 1,200 calories, and you could almost certainly still be losing while eating significantly more.

Unfortunately I'm not losing a significant amount of weight. I had hoped to. My logging hasn't been perfect, but even so I think I should have lost more then I have by now.

Studies show that people are just awful at estimating their consumption. You'll get more accuracy and results if you put more effort into weighing and logging.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    According to MFP synced with my Fitbit, I was burning between 800-1000 calories a day.

Doing what?

An 800 calorie burn, for example, would be about a 4 hour walk.

• kshama2001
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    According to MFP synced with my Fitbit, I was burning between 800-1000 calories a day.

Doing what?

Are you taking 50% off? When I put in her stats from her OP I get 802 calories for a 126 minute walk at 3 MPH.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Doing what?

Are you taking 50% off? When I put in her stats from her OP I get 802 calories for a 126 minute walk at 3 MPH.

Seems very high.

Even at my highest weight (which was a little bit less than hers), I was only burning about 200 cal/hour. But then I chose a slightly slower, more realistic, pace.

I estimate about 4 km/hour (2.4 mph) because 5 km/hour (3 mph) is a very brisk pace which you've got to keep up for the entire time. Estimating 4 km/h means I can pause to look at the scenery, slow down at intersections, etc.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I know MFP is designed for you to eat back all exercise calories, but I found eating back 50% works better for me. I am a nibbler (I'll weigh out everything and then stick some of what I'm measuring in my mouth without thinking about it). Also when I do longer, endurance cardio in the summer the calories burned don't seem to have the same "effect".

Start by eating back 50% and see how it works for you. If it works try eating 2/3 or 75% back. See how high you can go and still reliably loose. If you are accurately measuring your food and exercise calories burned then 1200 plus eating back should work. I imagine if you are down around 1200/day exercise is a must to give a buffer for any extras.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

Doing what?

I can burn 800 calories in a steep one hour hike, and I weigh less than she does and am older. She can burn 800-100 relatively easily if she makes an effort.
  • gabriellax92
    Options
    When I was eating around 1200 calories a day I wasn't seeing any weight loss. No I wasn't binging. And yes, some days I don't always complete my diary. I'm not perfect. Here's what I was doing.
    My calories were set around 1200, I ate at or around, most of the time I went over 1200 by a couple hundred calories. According to MFP synced with my Fitbit, I was burning between 800-1000 calories a day. I was not eating anything of those burned calories back. This week I have upped my calorie intake according to MFP recommendation (as I did override it before). I am going to start eating back at least 50% or my calories burned. I am also going to start logging more accurately with my food scale(as I was a bit lazy before). I've lost about a pound within the past week, even having a bad day food wise so I'm starting to see improvement just increasing my calories. Thanks for all of your feedback :)

At 255 pounds, it's impossible to not lose weight while eating @1400 calories, let alone plus burning 800-1000 calories from exercise. Try weighing and logging scrupulously for a month and prepare to be astounded.

Studies show that people are just awful at estimating their consumption. You'll get more accuracy and results if you put more effort into weighing and logging.

Well I guess I must be the impossible. I have changed my diet to be muuuuch more healthier then befoee, I log for the most part (and will start being more accurate with it). I weigh myself almost everyday and I fluctuate between 3-4 pounds. My gym routine includes strength training at first, I usually rotate muscle groups different days of the week. I walk/slow jog on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes then use the elliptical for 20 minutes. I have my Fitbit synced with MFP. According to it, that's how many calories I burn. I mean maybe I'm just that horrible at logging that it's causing me to not lose such a drastic amount of weight... But I doubt that. It's just coming off of me slow....
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

Well I guess I must be the impossible. I have changed my diet to be muuuuch more healthier then befoee, I log for the most part (and will start being more accurate with it). I weigh myself almost everyday and I fluctuate between 3-4 pounds. My gym routine includes strength training at first, I usually rotate muscle groups different days of the week. I walk/slow jog on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes then use the elliptical for 20 minutes. I have my Fitbit synced with MFP. According to it, that's how many calories I burn. I mean maybe I'm just that horrible at logging that it's causing me to not lose such a drastic amount of weight... But I doubt that. It's just coming off of me slow....

Thatd be why your not the impossible :D
  • gabriellax92
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Nope, it's not perfect. I have guesstimated on things or used generic entries. But even so being around a 1200 calorie deficit if I have gone over that I don't see it being enough to cause me to stay stagnant. I'm not pigging out everyday and binging, I'm actually hungry and reaching for healthy options. I'm putting work in at the gym and waking up sore every morning. But besides the point, I just wanted to know if eating back excercise calories worked for people since I wasn't doing that
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Nope, it's not perfect. I have guesstimated on things or used generic entries. But even so being around a 1200 calorie deficit if I have gone over that I don't see it being enough to cause me to stay stagnant. I'm not pigging out everyday and binging, I'm actually hungry and reaching for healthy options. I'm putting work in at the gym and waking up sore every morning. But besides the point, I just wanted to know if eating back excercise calories worked for people since I wasn't doing that

healthy sadly doesnt mean low calorie, And your right that defecit would cause weight loss. Which is why the most likely culprit is in your admitted generic entries and not 100% tracking. Its incredibly easy to eat alot more thn you realize sadly. Just go off your results if your not losing dont eat more..if your losing fine sure eat more. tighten up the logging though
  • gabriellax92
    Options

healthy sadly doesnt mean low calorie, And your right that defecit would cause weight loss. Which is why the most likely culprit is in your admitted generic entries and not 100% tracking. Its incredibly easy to eat alot more thn you realize sadly. Just go off your results if your not losing dont eat more..if your losing fine sure eat more. tighten up the logging though

Okay, thanks for the feedback :smile:
  • kshama2001
    Options

http://archive.is/1xJpu#selection-1721.115-2131.111 (the article contains links to the studies):

1. Misreporting Intake

...the truth is: people are notoriously bad – no, really, like super bad – at reporting calorie intake. This isn’t an opinion, either: it’s fact. There are a plethora of studies that have shown this over and over and over and over and over, over, over, over again…and again.

Misreporting of food intake isn’t exclusive to the general public, either. Here’s a review of a study by James Krieger of Weightology finding that even dietitians misreport calorie intake.

“The results showed that the dietitians underreported their food intake by an average of 223 calories per day, while the non-dietitians underreported their intake by an average of 429 calories per day. Thus, while being a dietitian improves the accuracy of self-report of food intake, it does not eliminate the phenomena of underreporting.

Yes, even people whose job involves dealing with these things on a daily basis aren’t immune to the error.

Let me show you one more thing.

This British actress was adamant she had a slow metabolism, turned out she was simply misreporting calorie intake.
    When she recorded her food intake via video journal, her intake, according to her, was 1100 calories. When they checked her actual intake [with doubly labeled water] it came to 3000 calories.

Even when she was keeping a food diary, she misreported by 43%.

Numbers are abstract. Let’s make this palpable.

Let’s say your calorie intake is 1500 calories: 43% is 645 calories. Maybe within the scope of a day or two, this wouldn’t make that much of a difference, but you misreport like this over a week? That’s an additional +3500 calories you ‘forgot’ about – enough to gain a pound of fat.

Suffice to say, I’ve made my point. People are terrible at tracking and reporting food intake accurately [1].

See also The Health Halo Effect of Food section about half way down.
  • lumenosis
    lumenosis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this too, I have been getting a crazy amount of calories back 1,200ish. I may eat 100-300 of them back but I'm scared to eat them because I don't know if my burn is accurate 3,000 on a non workout day.